BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Spun aluminum tanks

These were mentioned in a post recently, but they seem to have a "1/4 NTP" output. I'd like to get one of these bad boys as the inside of my stock tanks seem prone to rust. If you've used these, what sort of connections/adapters were necessary to make it mate up with mini-buggy sized fuel systems?
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-20-2014, 10:01 PM

I can't see this being much of a problem. Get a petcock with a 1/4" barbed fitting for the fuel line and plumb it to your carb.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, but isn't 1/4 fuel line a bit big to mate up with most small carbs? Wouldn't I need a step-down adapter to 3/16th or so?
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Supporting Vendor

The stock carb is 3/16" so if going with a 1/4" just tighten with a clamp. Your only talking 1/16" difference. Small thin tie wraps work as well
Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

Awww... you guys are the bestest!!

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

I've been using the spun aluminum for a long time. I like the 3.5 gallon size as it fits in the yerf rack easily. 3.5 G's of fuel will last all day or more. You got to weld in some brackets for the tank mount but that's no big deal. The first tank developed stress cracks around the fuel line bung after a couple of years, the replacement tank has lasted for over 7 years. My supplier, Dan's Performance.no longer carries the aluminum so I went with a stainless steel on the single seat.
Plumbing the whole system with 1/4 won't hurt a thing , in fact it will improve fuel delivery to the carburetor. Fuel starvation at high speeds is a common problem.
You mate the 1/4 to the carb by using clear gas line and a 1" long piece of the plastic 3/16 line used for plumbing the ice maker in you frig. The frig line slides inside the clear line and will slip over the carb barb. The frig line acts as a reducer. A hose clamp over the whole deal and your set to go.
I like using clear line so I can see the fuel flow and I use a glass tube filter with replaceable filter elements. The clear filter allows me to see the condition of the fuel and the elements can be changed out faster than changing a typical in- line mower type filter This type of filter is also a very high volume flow.
All the brass fitting can be had at the local hardware store and be sure to include a in-line cutoff valve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yerf 005.jpg (92.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg yerf 004.jpg (87.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 248.jpg (98.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

ok.. I'm sold!

2014 Kandi 90B