BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Lurker

Default Tricks to mounting tires?

I'm replacing the worn 6" tires on my buggy.

When I was shopping for them, I kept reading posts under the tire reviews about how difficult they are to mount. I was just planning to put them in the sun to warm up and soften a bit and then use some soap to help get them on the rim and then a ratchet strap to help set the bead while I inflated.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks?

I've done plenty of bike and motorcycle tires, but the much smaller ID on a buggy tire, I'm assuming it's much more difficult.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Heavy Contributor

We have 2 places in town that mount tires. I asked the same thing from both places. They gave the same answer. They hate mounting ATV tires. Its a pain even for them. Not sure if 6" would be any different or not. But they had to replace one tire because they put a slight rip in the bead, and wouldn't hold air. Might suggest to just pay for it done if those tires will be as hard as ATV tires.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

I put a couple bricks or wood inside the tire spreading them. Leave in direct sun for a few hours. Soap the beads with soap/water solution than mount. Pull the valve core out of the stem, resoap the beads, with tire setting up on thread area put the air to it until tire inflates and seats the bead, about 30psi.Having the core ready to install remove air hose and install core before tire totally deflates. I never had a problem installing or inflating but removal can sometimes result in cutting the tire off due to not being able to bust the bead even on a machine.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I put a couple bricks or wood inside the tire spreading them. Leave in direct sun for a few hours. Soap the beads with soap/water solution than mount. Pull the valve core out of the stem, resoap the beads, with tire setting up on thread area put the air to it until tire inflates and seats the bead, about 30psi.Having the core ready to install remove air hose and install core before tire totally deflates. I never had a problem installing or inflating but removal can sometimes result in cutting the tire off due to not being able to bust the bead even on a machine.
Thank you very much.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:34 PM
Heavy Contributor

invest in a set of tire spoons. Use the same technique you would do mounting a motorcycle tire
Old 04-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Lite Contributor

thats exactly what i tried when i got my new front tires. it was a pretty big pain though so i took my second one to my local scooter/buggy shop and they mounted the other one for only nine dollars and it was much simpler lol
Old 04-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Lite Contributor

i just drove a vehicle over the tire as close to the rim as possible and turned into it to break the bead. after trying for hours i found that trick and it was pretty simple.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

I run over mine with a 1 to P/U and the bead would not break. Took the tire to town and he could not break the bead on the machine even though it had been soaked with gas and penetrant oil. He told me it is a tire that has to be carefully cut off.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Lite Contributor

dang that tire must have been stuck good
Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 PM

I had one on a riding mower one time I had to use a air chiesel to cut the steel in the beads to get it off
Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Power User

Had a couple too that had to be cut. Odyssey bolt together rims with old tires seem to be a total nightmare every time. Likewise, i started using the "run them over with the truck" trick on my JD tires up at work. Tires spoons definitely are a good investment. i also use a wide flat tipped pry bar and work it in between the rim and tire and twist it, going all the way around just to get a little "movement" of the bead set before going to break it.

As far as install goes, remember to make sure the that 1st half of the tire bead going on is pushed up into the center area of the rim so it doesn't kill the bead edge. Wasted a new tire once stretching it over the rim without it being pushed into center.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM

I tried everything I could think of to get that bead broke, including using a flat point on the air chiesel and putting it against the bead and all it would do is bounce.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Heavy Contributor

Do you have a hydraulic press? Use a large steel plate on the tire with the rim clamped to the press frame.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Power User

someone may have glued it. try putting some solvent around the bead and letting it soak a couple hours.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Supporting Vendor

It is usually due to at one time water got inside through a broken bead. Aired up for years the rim will corrode deteriorate the rubber bead at the same time the wire in the bead corrodes making like a super glue. When trying to break the bead the wire in the bead of many strands are fused through a heavy corrosion to the wheel. You would think penetrant would work but I had soaked one for 4 days and still had to cut it off.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:42 PM

the one I had was the same way Tom.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Lite Contributor

I just changed my stock tires to itp mud lites to remove I used a 2 by 4 to run over and break the bead. Then 2 big wrenches. A 19mm and a 17mm i used the close end, o and plenty of wd-40 i also installed them that way. Yours sound to be glued. Cut off wheel! ... Ummm i can smell the burn rubber!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Contributor

I have one of these. It works awesome. It will break the toughest beads and not damage the wheels. It is a bit expensive, but works really well. I would replace the valve stems too, while you have the tires off.