BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Lurker

Default trouble locating replacement suspension arms

So as some of you may know my son's friend ran his buggy into a tree breaking the upper suspension arm and bending the lower arm pretty severely. It's an American Sport works Helix 150 with reverse. Anyway, amsportworks says they can get the arms come August 1st, but I don't want the buggy to just sit all summer. Is there anywhere else to get the suspension arms sooner? I can bring the buggy to a local fab shop and have the arms made by them, but that's going to be a bit costly. If they are steel (I haven't checked) I may be able to Frankenstein weld em to make em work for now. Any suggestions?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Power User

They're steel. You should be able to get some tube and make replacements fairly inexpensively if you're hand with a mig and angle grinder. You should be able to cut off and reuse the bushing tubes on the damaged ones and probably will have to replicate the other end. Just make sure you get decent tubing. If there are any local dirt track or drag racers around you, you may be able to pick up some tubing pretty cheaply from them, they may even do the bends for you. Showing up with a couple of 6-packs at beer thirty always helps seal the deal.