BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Lurker

Default Apache 150 superbug shocks issue

I have recently got hold of this machine (Apache Superbug 150 2004) and there are a number of things that need repairing most of which should be fairly straight forward. The one main issue is, I wondered if anyone might be able to help advise me on is the front shocks they are not working as they should and I would like to know if anyone could tell me if they are serviceable/repairable at all as the replacements are quite pricey. They are quite different from any other unit I have seen on other buggies. They are a combined shock and steering pinion where the front wheel is mounted on to the bottom portion of the shock leg and is able to pivot Right to Left for steering and then the top section is the shock absorber section, I was hoping someone could advise me regarding whether I could strip them down get some new seals and re oil them back into life again or if they need to be chucked away and bite bullet on the new replacements.

Thanks

Rif
Old 09-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

Post some pictures of buggy and shocks
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Lurker

Dear Sycarms

Thanks for your response, I will get some done tonight and get them posted tomorrow

Rif
Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Lurker

DSCF2147.jpg

DSCF2143.jpg

DSCF2155.jpg

DSCF2164.jpg

I hope these picture give a bit better understanding of the type of shock fitted to my machine, If anyone could tell me whether there is a service kit or even if they have a strip down diagram that would be great

Thanks

Rif
Old 09-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

Just by looking at the pictures they don't look rebuildable and if by chance they are no clue where you would find the kits. I'm surprised you found replacements. You might have to bite the bullet and buy replacements.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:08 AM
Lurker

Thanks for your thoughts

Do you think If I were to undo the large chromed nut on the top of the shock I will have a problem with any large spring flying-out or will I need a spring compressor to get them back in. on a different note I am assuming these are oil filled and not gas shocks would I be correct in my assumption. I take it you would know where I could get any type of diagram that would pre warn me what will be in side, i have worked on alot of components but I have not opened up a shock before, is there anything you would advise.

Thanks

Rif
Old 09-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Supporting Vendor

I would have to say yes you will need a spring compressor.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Default shocks

I would say take one off, and carry to a motorcycle repair shop. they may be able to help you.