BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Lite Contributor

Default TM 300 xrx shifter problem

Last night my 300xrx wouldn't shift. It was hard to move the shifter lever, and even when I did, it would stay in f or r (whichever it was in first). The shifter moves fine when the engine isn't running, so I thought it was idling too high. But after slowing the idle speed down to barely running, it was still sticking.
I didn't get a chance to look for another cause yet, any ideas? I'll be checking out the cable itself as soon as I get time. But it seems odd that the problem is only happening when it's running, even at extremely low idle speed.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

can you move the shift arm on the motor when it is running with a pair of pliers?

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 10-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Lite Contributor

Haven't tried that yet. I don't have a helper most of the time.
Today I adjusted the cables 90 ways to Sunday and It shifts fine from n to f, then, if I put it in reverse it won't change back unless I shut down the engine.
Just tried it out again, I CAN get it to shift if I kind of let it roll a little bit. Either from f-n-r or back. But I just have to let it "decide" when it's gonna change.

Last edited by Gummerfan; 10-31-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Lite Contributor

Wondering if it might be cvt/clutch/belt related. Gonna put her up on the stands and remove the cvt cover and see if I can find a clue.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Lite Contributor

Well I put the 300 up on the stands today. I removed the linkage from the shaft, and I could change gears using a pair of pliers even with the engine running. I put the linkage back on, tweaked the cables a bit, and I got it to work. Once. Still can't shift out of reverse with engine running.
Puzzling. If it's the cables, why does it shift with the engine off? If it's the gearbox, why can I shift it with the pliers?
Still haven't pulled the cvt cover yet. Wondering if there's something going on in there...
Old 02-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Lite Contributor

Mystery solved.
I was planning to replace my belt and check out the cvt. I pulled the cover today and found a broken clutch spring lying in the case. Thus was causing one of the pads to stay engaged.
Oh well, I've been wanting to try a Dr Pulley or Malossi clutch anyway!
Just glad it wasn't the gears or something major! These Chinabuggies are quite the learning experience. :-D