BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Lurker

Default Front tire Rim advice (SSR turino 150)

Hi,

So my mechanic came by this past weekend to do work on my CVT belt because the motorcycle repair shop did not properly grease the pullies and my belt was catching. He did a great Job, reduced the catch and bikes belt drive felt way better after.

While he was inspecting my bike, he noticed that the front tire was bouncing a little due to the bearings being worn down.

Long story short, we replaced the bearings, but they were not holding in place on the rim, my friend recognized this as rim wear around the center core and said the bearings would only be a temporary fix till I get a new rim.

Three days later, today, I was riding my bike this morning and it felt very smooth for a little while, then all of a sudden it felt weird, as if I was hitting a bump every second and a half, even though I was not on the most bumpy street.

Can some of you please speculate as to what is going on (if the temporary fix is already messing up) and if it is safe to continue riding?

The reason I am posing the question is that I am going broke on this bike. I just paid 300$ to have the CVT belt replaced, another 80$ to have my friend properly grease it and replace the front wheel bearings and a few hundred miles before that, paid 150$ to have the wheels replaced. Not to mention I paid 150$ to have the rear shocks changed 3 weeks ago.

The primary problem is that it is currently my only way of getting around. So I would like some answers as to what is happening. Please feel free to speculate, and also if there are any other temp fixes till I can gather the cash to buy a new front rim.

Thank you.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Heavy Contributor

300 to change the belt??? Holy cow. Not sure what kind of bike you have. Maybe something special?. But sounds damn pricey to me. Belt cost $50 so 250 in labor? Just don't see how that justifiable. 1hr at most. Unless again something special?
Wheel? Ebay? Craiglist? Not sure what to say. But sounds like no easy fix, but to replace.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeagle View Post
300 to change the belt??? Holy cow. Not sure what kind of bike you have. Maybe something special?. But sounds damn pricey to me. Belt cost $50 so 250 in labor? Just don't see how that justifiable. 1hr at most. Unless again something special?
Wheel? Ebay? Craiglist? Not sure what to say. But sounds like no easy fix, but to replace.
Yea well, the belt cost was about 35$ I think, and they charged me for the pullies as well, Plus a 75$ towing fee since my belt broke in the middle of the street. Not sure how much the pulles cost but the labor charges for this place are 100$ an hour.

It is a motorcycle repair place, not specializing in scooters. They didn't even grease the pully system correctly.

Um, I will probably be spending money next week or the following week to replace the actual rim on the tire.

Any opinion on riding it till then? It has new bearings, but the outer circle of the rim is worn on one side, so the bearing on that side doesn't catch with the rim and sometimes moves independently of it.

BTW my bike type is in the title.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Heavy Contributor

As in driving it as is???
Well, if it's a scooter. I'm guessing you can go 50 60mph.
I wouldn't trust it. Especially on the highway. On any type of bike, your putting your hands into countless other ppl.
Any added elements that can cause any problems, your just adding fuel to the fire.
I used to drive a street bike. And dirt bikes for that matter. Street was far more dangerous, due to fact I just stated. If anything was wrong with street bike, I didn't take it out. I never took it out when it was raining, or could rain.
BUT that just me. Got rid off street bike, after 2 years. Just hated how much you rely on other ppl on road to make smart decisions. Now with texting and crap. Hell no!
Again this just me. With bend rim, could affect your driving at the worst time.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

The bad bearing has beat out the rim center, no other fix but a new rim. The one thing I will suggest is that you totally go through that scooter. It sounds as if there has been little to no maintenance. Driving daily causes things to wear out and that's the reason especially if you bought used. I would pull the rear wheel to check and replace or clean and grease the bearings, check your brakes, front should be disc and rear drum, check the master cyl for fluid and change out if dark or find and fix leak if low but after making sure your front pads are good since fluid will drop as the pad wears, engine oil change if necessary and make sure to check the final drive oil, any oil leaks should be found and repaired. Without regular maintenance problems like your drive belt will only lead to more expensive options like what you had experienced. With proper maintenance the belt would have been inspected and replaced for $35.00 and 1 hour labor. Other than pulling the panels which can be a pain these are easy to learn about and repair yourself. I would not put my life at risk by driving it until the wheel is replaced. If you have any questions on repairing your scooter this is the place to ask.