BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Lurker

Default helix 150 brakes?

just got helix 150 but someone else took apart brakes and reverse assembly to replace cable on reverse and didn't finish it so i can not figure out how brake caliper mounts not sure whats missing cant find picture without cover to tell what im missing if you had such a pictures i would appreciate it greatly thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

Americanlandmaster.com, click owners than click manuals. Model 6140 is what you want. There is a very complete service manual as well as parts manual for you to download or print off. You can even purchase the parts off the site or through me 10% off.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Americanlandmaster.com, click owners than click manuals. Model 6140 is what you want. There is a very complete service manual as well as parts manual for you to download or print off. You can even purchase the parts off the site or through me 10% off.
Helix 150cc is 6150...? I have same and just wanted to confirm and clarify. I needed brakes recently.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yes 6150 is correct I made a typo.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM
Lite Contributor

Now. I just purchased Brake pads. I told them for "Helix 150cc". They sent me small 2 1/2" (from hole to hole) rather than the ones I have which is 4 1/2" (hole to hole) on brake pad. Now I did my research and found my part # is 14390 for the caliper Single Rear end). Now I did notice a "version" that had smaller calipers in each wheel. I dont recall the Part# to the brake pad itself. Can u confirm? I am having to send 2 of them back from 1 auction site. I called 2 supply sites explained what I needed and they couldnt find the part# to the brake pad but instead tried to sell me the whole caliper (comes with brake pads). I just need Brake pads. Hope I didnt troll on OP. Ford1971 PM me I can send u a pic of mine. If same as mind This post is for you too.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Supporting Vendor

The rear caliper was changed and upgraded several years ago using a different caliper and pads. Post some pics of pads , I might have them in stock.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Lite Contributor

Default brakes

So I just got done talking with Americanlandmaster. I have part# list Thanks to this site. The Caliper part#14390 (current caliper installed) measuring 4 1/4" from post to post for brake pad. The brake pad part# 14524 which I purchased the brake pad holes measures 3 1/2". They are claiming it is the right part... maybe. The pics are both Brake pads. Now keep in mind. I was told the smaller ones fit on each wheel hub as "front brakes and Rear brakes". I have looked at parts list and I see "Qty 1" for the brake parts. That conclusion will tell me that the part# is for what I need. There was changes? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 24.jpg (80.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 25.jpg (80.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Lite Contributor

Default caliper

Here is the caliper. Even with all this I was told "I have the wrong part number" from AmericanLandMaster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 26.jpg (89.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 27.jpg (88.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 30.jpg (96.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Which pads do you need 2 1/2 or 3"
Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Which pads do you need 2 1/2 or 3"
Not sure you asked that. I attached images and stated that according to the parts list that is posted here as well as speaking to ASW (American Land Master) is that the caliper (also pictured) part #14390 needs the Brake pad part #14524. The first images I attached is 3 1/2" which is 14524. The caliper I have measures (appx) 4 14". I need a brake pad that measures 4 1/4" being the one the manufacture is saying I need is 3 1/2" and does not fit. This is what I found. It seems the "changes" that were made is that the Helix 150cc now (or at least since the change) uses this one....

https://hammerheadperformance.com/re...-7-020-022-250

If you carry that one I need for your efforts I can purchase from u. Other than that I hope this gets passed that the part# (stating on part list 14524) will NOT fit the caliper part#14390.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

Someone had to change that caliper at some time cause ASW, HH, Kinroad, Joyner all use the same pads. In other words the 14524 pads will fit any of the above karts and that 14524 is the new pads used on the upgraded caliper. Three options ; 1) replace with proper caliper made for buggy, 2) Ask the seller of buggy if he remembers which caliper he used, 3) send me the exact measurements of both pads as illustrated in the HH link and I'll see if EBC makes a pad like that, but I will need all those measurements to confirm.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Lite Contributor

Sorry I didn't see this replied. What I found out is that the change was made that they (helix 150cc) went to a bigger 250cc caliper. Same part # but bigger. I did find them on eBay. That is why hard to find bigger size due to same part #. Not sure why. Unless requested, I will consider this op ended being I will have my own questions via a new thread troubleshooting my brakes. Thank in advance sycarms.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Supporting Vendor

ASW did make a caliper change on the Helix 150. The original used 2 square pads in which the inner when worn would fall out so they replaced with the new caliper 14390which use pad 14524. Those are the last part#'s they stock and would be the correct parts for your Helix. Your caliper and pads are from something else. I also stock pads and caliper for the 250cc Kinroad, HH, Joyner. Neither of those 3 match what you have. Who ever had the buggy before you probably bought caliper on e-bay but it is not the proper one for your buggy. I have even looked through the EBC brake catalog and I cannot find a replacement pad with your specs. The pads I keep in stock for buggies I order from EBC. As to your post when ever ASW changes a part the part # also changes and since I am a service center for ASW now ALM I can tell you without doubt that caliper and pads are not their product and was not original on that buggy.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Lurker

I have same cart with the original caliper. Barely stops this cart despite new pads and a good brake bleed. Does the newer style caliper and pad combo stop this better? Also, does it mount the same. Reason why I ask is Sears kept sending me a caliper that doesn’t fit the same mounting holes and I gave up
Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

The Helix only has rear brakes and never stopped worth a damn as compared to buggies with front brakes. Depending on the year of your buggy it may already have the upgraded caliper and pads. As far as the sears caliper goes are you sure it is a ASW buggy. I know I had one to work on that looked like a Helix but wasn't for it was an off brand. The ASW buggies will have an information plate on the floor forward of seats in center.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 08-10-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Lurker

It has the old style