BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Lurker

Default New to me yerfdog with steering/ alignment issues

So I am brand new to carts. Hell, anything that's not anecessarily old ford bronco and I'm clueless. That said, my 10 and 12 year old boys are with their mom until Friday. This is a surprise for them. I have no idea what model it is and can get more pics tonight and or look where you guys say I should find it. The big issue is the steering. The cart BARELY turns in either direction. When I still barely......I mean tough to turn around in around in my front yard. I want it safe for the boys. When turning either direction the inside tire stays almost straight instead of turning the direction I want to go. This causes nasty vibrations and a bad experience in the cart. Needs brake pads too. I'm just looking for some help and direction as to how to get it ready for them. Last thing I want is them to get home and see it and me say they can't ride it. I appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170625_170256.jpg (94.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Power User

yerf had a multitude of variations of that type of go kart. All use essentially identical a-arms, spindles and pitman steering. the steering arms on the spindles and the tie rods are very susceptible to bending and once bent and straightened, they bend easier and easier. If you have a welder you can strengthen them pretty easily with a bit of plate steel or angle iron and put in thicker rods for the tie rods. I'd wager things are a little bent up at the tie rod/steering arm connection.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Lurker

Can i get better aftermarket steering components?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Power User

you can, gonna take some fab work though. you could put a low-cost line Rage steering rack in it, but you'll still have to either make or adapt a new spindle and hubset to it, and along with that comes building up some front end structure or chopping a quad front end into it to go to dual a-arm for the best outcome. you could stay with the single a-arms with a steering rack, but you'll still have to beef up those spindles and tie rods.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Lurker

So nothing i can really do without fabbing something up. Well crap. Ill have a chance to check it out today. Works been crazy.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Power User

BMI karts has leftover yerf parts, you could put some replacements on it if they have any left--- i think they might--is other option and it'll have it's original level turning radius