BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Lite Contributor

Default brakes not working

i have a 2001 manco dingo duece and my brakes are not working. the pads are fine but there just not clamping down the the rotor. i have no clue what it could be.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Contributor

The rod cable mechanical duel?????? mancoman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1448.jpg (89.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1450.jpg (87.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1449.jpg (89.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Lite Contributor

its a two seater and two rods
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Contributor

Yes duece means double or 2 seater in this case.Does the calipers look like the the breakdown I posted for you?It should have long metal rods that lead from the brake pedal to the break lever part #10 in the diagram and these rods should have 2 holes to bolt them on-could be bolted to high or to low to grab the rotors or the calipers are not put together right? mancoman
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Lite Contributor

yes just like it is in the pic. i think there just not grabbing. like you said prob something with the calipers.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Lurker

I have a Havoc M5 with the same issue.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Contributor

Guys this is a simple mechanical brake system and very easy to work on as I owned Manco trail karts from 1996 to 2005 with this type brake system and as far as I know no matter what brand of kart this heavy brake is used for trails and hills.Thus putting aside band brakes and other weaker brake systems that only stop one rear wheel this system will lock both rear wheels and skid when working right!If you bought your kart used you need to disect your caliper(s) and make sure all of the parts are there by comparing it to my parts photo and no you should not have to remove any rear tires. mancoman
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Lite Contributor

took it apart put it back together and still not working put on new pads too
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Power User

could it be slop in the rod pivot holes plus the rods bending vs actually applying pressure to the brake caliper lever?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Contributor

Make sure the actuator pin part #4 has the round end is pointing away from the backing plate part #3 and the flat end on the backing plate.x-bird suggests it could be in the brake(s) rod(s) the only way this could happen if they were damaged in another way as it would take incredible force to cause them to bend(no offence x-bird).Manco never listed a diagram to show how the brake rods connected.I can mail a copy of the caliper parts list the same as shown here to you that you can take to where you have the kart stored-just let me know. mancoman
Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Lurker

Does yours look like this? Two brake disks and two calipers? This is required because of the differential in the gear box. The rods should be adjustable for each caliper but if they are not engaging, then you need to adjust the arm that sticks out of the caliper. Look at picture with yellow arrow. Adjust this bolt a little bit each time until the brakes start engaging as the rod pulls forward. You will need to do this on each caliper.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Contributor

Bryce the calipers in the photos seem to differ from my photos of the breakdown of mine but then again they are from a 1995 Manco Dingo 8.Is yours a Manco kart and what year?It's so clean you can lick it! mancoman
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Lurker

I don't remember the year but it was a 12HP Dingo Deuce Model 612. Here is the linkage setup but it is difficult to see all the parts. I have other pictures of it in my profile Album and you can see what the kart looked like before I restored it. I could not find a parts breakdown for my specific caliper so if he has the same one not sure this will help much. Mine was Manco part number 8543 or "23" on the picture below.