BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Power User

Default 250 Muffler

Posting this for frame n things ...

Muffler originally from a HH 250SS.
As built it had two internal rods that held the caps together. tail end had internal bosses that the rods threaded into, pipe end the rods came through and the nuts on the end clamped everything together.

When i got it, the internal bosses were stripped, (common problem with these) so i drilled them out and ran threaded rod stock through the tail end and double nutted both ends. Has held together fine since then.

I removed the flex pipe and added a short tube stub. ID is 1.6ish"
I use 1.5" od pipe with a sleeve and a clamp.

If you have any interest in a trade, lmk, you can post pics in here, i also need to know the ID of the headpipe on your muffler to make sure it will fit.

As far as how loud it would be compared to yours, i have no idea. Internally, it has two drilled baffle plates and a center tube with spark arrestor/baffle grid a couple inches long. I haven't changed anything inside. There was no other packing inside it--nut sure if it originally had glass or steel wool inside it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (85.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (83.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (79.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (80.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Lurker

hi sorry for the delay , got sidetracked was out the other day in the desert with the sandviper and my son was driving he's 14 and is always trying to driff and do donuts well he was doing that again when i think the back tire caught something and we flipped over 3/4 way ,,most of the impact was to my side and he was not hurt but the cage broke on my side up front where it bolts to the windsheild area and took a gouge out of my leg and roll part of the cage behind the seats is not as wide as th eseats so my shoulder took a good impact when we first rolled ,, gotta see a ortho dude fri to see if the rotory cuff is torn or if something broken , so now i am looking to have the cage replaced with a safer cage , fabricated to work right ,, depends on the shoulder as to when the buggy gets attention again ,, my son was bumbed, it scared him , but he will learn from it ,,, me too these cages are pretty much for looks as we were probably doing about 10 to 12 miles per hour when it tipped over . the cage gives a false sense of protection ,, thanks for listening i will think about the muffler
harold

Last edited by framennthings; 11-21-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Power User

Ouch, glad that the injuries weren't too serious, (hopefully) but yes, the "cages" are really nothing but brush guards and shouldn't be consider as roll over protection without being re-engineered and modified. one of the things i dislike most is the side exposure. after redoing mine and going with doors, roof and window nets, i'll never go back.

Be prepared for quite the recovery time and rehab if you did something in your shoulder. It'll likely take an MRI to show if it's not a broken collarbone. I went through a SLAP surgery, severed every ligament holding my right shoulder together and had some problems in the rotator cuff as well. after the surgery, my right arm was pretty much dead for a long time. took a lot of effort and rehab pain .. pain .. pain .. to get back to about 75 percent.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Lurker

sounds like you really messed the shoulder up. doc said probably bruised up, nothing broken ,, let it heal up but at 51 it takes a little longer then before. hey would you send me a pic of your ride . i would like to see your mods to the cage area ,,
thx
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Power User

page 3-5 have some of the frame work. can't find the thread where i show the main cage area changes in progress. (may not have uploaded them)

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/sh...?t=2243&page=3

the shoulder went through many years of DH racing abuse too many tree clips and over the bars dives in the rocks and steeps. Put an end to 30 years of bike racing.