BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 AM
Contributor

Default Winter and snow jeting

Wondering how you guys adjust your idle screw and main jet during the winter? I got some snow last week and took her out for a spin. After running the snot out of it, it would stall when coming to a stop. Seemed to backfire and hang a little when I let off the gas also. I'm assuming it is running a little lean compared to summer conditions. Any advice? Supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow today and looking forward to playing some more tonight and tomorrow.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1134 View Post
Wondering how you guys adjust your idle screw and main jet during the winter? I got some snow last week and took her out for a spin. After running the snot out of it, it would stall when coming to a stop. Seemed to backfire and hang a little when I let off the gas also. I'm assuming it is running a little lean compared to summer conditions. Any advice? Supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow today and looking forward to playing some more tonight and tomorrow.
mb I would def jet up if u tuned the carb in the summer and now its winter time theres going to be a difference in power, which will require more fuel do a speed test run and check the plug. Remember full throttle for 900-1200 feet shut it down keep your foot to the floor then check the plug. On my next build im going with a wideband to get a better and more accurate reading for situations like these, (weather change).

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Contributor

I often thought about a wideband, but most that I remember for cars were too expensive. anyone know of a reliable semi cheap kit?

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 02-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Power User

tough thing about winter tuning is the moisture level in the air. you can have cold dry days and "summer" jetting will be just about fine. get a really moist day with temps just above freezing and you've got some crazy good air and will need to richen it up a lot. couple days later it'll be too rich if it gets really cold and dry again. went bonkers with the rockhound last winter. thankfully she's still in waiting for mods mode and parked non-running under a tarp for the winter.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
tough thing about winter tuning is the moisture level in the air. you can have cold dry days and "summer" jetting will be just about fine. get a really moist day with temps just above freezing and you've got some crazy good air and will need to richen it up a lot. couple days later it'll be too rich if it gets really cold and dry again. went bonkers with the rockhound last winter. thankfully she's still in waiting for mods mode and parked non-running under a tarp for the winter.
perfect example why Im going with a wideband on the hammerhead build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291263954736...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this is the one I will probally go with. You can go cheaper but this o2 sensor is more accurate then the older version.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Contributor

No bad. I see they have come down in price over the years. Been a while since I have bought and used any AEM equipment. Once installed an AEM FIC on a turboed car. Lots of fun. What range a/f should it run? Normal stoich 14.7? or should it run a little leaner at WOT?

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Contributor

Well I just ordered one. Half tempted to buy one for the 150 also. Too bad they weren't a tad cheaper.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Well I just ordered one. Half tempted to buy one for the 150 also. Too bad they weren't a tad cheaper.
I see it as a good investment for insurance and know how your engine is running.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:16 PM

I would recommend a 12.5 to 13.1 for wide open throttle

Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Contributor

12.5 to 13.1? I was guessing maybe 13.5. I don't have much experience tuning a N/A engine so im not sure. Anyone else have any ideas?

I ended up buying a cheaper Wideband for the 150. Its from wide-band.com apsx D2. About $35 less than the AEM or Innovative kits.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 AM

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2008...fuel-equation/

really good article on n/a carb tuning

either way let us know how the widebands go for you

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 02-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Contributor

Thanks. Will do. Should be seeing them in next week and installing on the 250 next week. 150 will have to wait until I pull the engine out and swap a few parts into the new one.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 02-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Contributor

I have a wideband on a carbureted mustang. I run about 14:1-15:1 at idle and 13:1 at wide open throttle. Gets reasonable mileage cruising and runs strong and safe when playing. Jman is dead on in my opinion. Also they come with a bung to weld to the exhaust. You could put a bung in each buggy and use the same sensor for tuning on both. Just use a drain plug with the same thread to plug the one your not using it on.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 AM
Contributor

I thought about putting a bung on both, but decided to just go with separate units. Any idea what size our roll cages are? I am thinking about buying a couple of the AutoMeter roll cage pods.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 AM

The roll bar above ur head that comes down to the front should be 1.25 inches thick but not sure if it's different for the 250cc buggy but I'm pretty sure it's the same as the 150s.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Contributor

Thank you good sir. I never got the chance to measure either of them. Contemplating if I should mount both to the front drivers side or on the front frame near the speedo.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 05-20-2015, 07:10 PM

mb how did you ever make out with the wideband kits ? and if so any pics ? im about to order one in the next day or so

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Contributor

I have yet to fully install them as I never have much free time. I bought the curved bungs for easier fitment and also a 1" bung extender so the sensor doesn't sit too far down in the exhaust on the 150. I am hoping to get them welded and wired up this weekend. I have them mounted right now though. I also plan on putting a toggle switch on them both so they can be shut off. May possibly splice the 150's into my Trailtech and skip the toggle.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 05-22-2015, 03:02 PM

mb do u have a link for the bung extender ? or once its all done post some pics please.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 AM
Contributor

Try searching ebay for.... O2 oxygen sensor extender extension m18 x 1.5 bung. They were about $5 apiece. Hopefully these pics show up. For some reason I cnt see the pics you post here at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-05-26-07-05-44.jpg (14.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-05-26-07-05-56.jpg (20.1 KB, 7 views)

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 AM

U the man mb I found it.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Contributor

No problem. Just need to get my bungs welded and hook up some wires and I am good to go. The pods I bought were autometer 2204. They are nice for the price and allowed me to mount directly on the plastic dash. check them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUT_AU~1.JPG (11.1 KB, 2 views)

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 AM

hey mb I see you have the hh exhaust on the 150cc is your pipe aluminum also? I stuck a magnet to my pipe and its aluminum I have to find someone whos good at welding aluminum.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM

I ordered the aem wideband kit 30-4110, ordered the bung extender, ordered the bung cap, last thing I really need is a mount and was trying to thing if I should get something to mount on the roll bar pipe and something I could mount near the steering wheel.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
hey mb I see you have the hh exhaust on the 150cc is your pipe aluminum also? I stuck a magnet to my pipe and its aluminum I have to find someone whos good at welding aluminum.
Are you sure it's not stainless? Or some other alloy other than aluminum?

I could see the silencer being aluminum but I've never seen an aluminum pipe on a buggy.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
Are you sure it's not stainless? Or some other alloy other than aluminum?

I could see the silencer being aluminum but I've never seen an aluminum pipe on a buggy.
that's what the other guys where saying on buggynews also but I stuck a magnet all over it and got nothing. maybe il call buggypartsnw and see what mike says that's where I bought both of them. Mb I ordered the same autometer mount u recommended.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Heavy Contributor

A magnet wont stick to good stainless, or a host of other alloys.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
A magnet wont stick to good stainless, or a host of other alloys.
I do think its stainless steel I Im just waiting to hear back from buggynw either way il get someone to just weld the bung on for me my welder is set for mild steel.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:53 PM

well mike spoke with hammerhead and hammerhead is saying its aluminum.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Contributor

That's odd, I was always under the impression that the header was stainless. I bought the same AEM for my 250. Figured I would but a little bit cheaper model for the 150 and went with one from APSX www.wide-band.com.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Heavy Contributor

You can't weld a steel bung to an aluminum pipe.

In a pinch you can weld stainless using regular wire for mild steel. It isn't as pretty but it will work for something like a bung.

Last edited by liduno; 05-26-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:12 PM

man I don't know what to really do I might take the pipe to a welding shop and see what they say if the can tell its stainless steel or aluminum

Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
man I don't know what to really do I might take the pipe to a welding shop and see what they say if the can tell its stainless steel or aluminum
Aluminum is pretty soft. If you can scratch a groove in it with a screw driver then it's aluminum. It would be difficult to a scratch a groove in stainless, you might get a surface scratch but not a deep groove..
Old 05-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Contributor

I'm pretty sure this is stainless and not aluminum. Anyone else have any input? Someone who sells them or has welded a bung to one before?

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 05-28-2015, 12:04 PM

not sure mb, but I already got my wideband kit! that was fast I cant wait to put it in, curious where are u getting ur power from to power the gauge up? or did u just extend the wire and run It to the battery with a fuse on it?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Contributor

I am going to run a wire from the battery to a toggle switch then to the gauge. This way I can turn it off or on anytime I want.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Administrator

You guys will be very surprised at what you see the AFR's running at on these buggy's. They run naturally lean when compared to a larger engine like in a car. We did some pretty extensive stuff with the wideband around 5 years ago or so all in the quest for getting a perfect burning spark plug. I might have an old thread on it somewhere. Will have to look.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Contributor

Sounds good BuggyMaster. Do you recall the typical AFR you were running at WOT and idle for a proper burn? I was wondering if I should tune it similar to a cars WOT AFR.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 AM

a little update with getting the bung welded on, my dad looked over the pipe and said its stainless steel, hopefully getting it welded by the end of this week.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Power User

technically it really doesn't matter if it's a car, bike, buggy etc. same principles apply. However, ethanol blended fuel throws a bit of a curve into the equation since its burn rate and temp is slightly different than non blended fuel. Knowing your compression ratio, jug and head head material and how much tolerance to running leaner than stoich your setup can handle along with the fuel's composition and rating is the key to determining the AFR
Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Contributor

I always run 93 non-ethanol. BuggyMaster said his was showing optimal burn and plug reading at around 15:1. I'm kind of torn where to go as I don't really have much area to do WOT tests and compare the plug reading to the AFR from my wideband.

Jman I was pretty sure the pipe was stainless. I haven't had any time to even get the bung welded so who knows when I will get this completed on either buggy and the new 150 engine broken in.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I always run 93 non-ethanol. BuggyMaster said his was showing optimal burn and plug reading at around 15:1. I'm kind of torn where to go as I don't really have much area to do WOT tests and compare the plug reading to the AFR from my wideband.

Jman I was pretty sure the pipe was stainless. I haven't had any time to even get the bung welded so who knows when I will get this completed on either buggy and the new 150 engine broken in.
yeah I had the old man look it over he said its stainless, so he has a mig welder hes going to weld the bung for me. I have a Lincoln mig welder but have it all setup for flux welding I don't feel like swapping everything over just for a bung.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Contributor

Post your afr readings when you get them. I am with x-bird on tuning. It shouldn't matter about engine size. Fuel choice will change the optimum ratio. And compression ratio will determine how picky the engine is and how accurate you need to be. The higher the compression the less tolerance it will have for a lean condition.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351mustanger View Post
Post your afr readings when you get them. I am with x-bird on tuning. It shouldn't matter about engine size. Fuel choice will change the optimum ratio. And compression ratio will determine how picky the engine is and how accurate you need to be. The higher the compression the less tolerance it will have for a lean condition.
Thats what I thought when I first started messing with these is that I was going to get a sweet 12.5 to 1 and be golden but it sure taught me otherwise. You start getting fatter than that and these little bore machines start choking out.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
a little update with getting the bung welded on, my dad looked over the pipe and said its stainless steel, hopefully getting it welded by the end of this week.
For mine I got some cheap 3/4 flat metal and made a bracket and welded the bung to the end of it. Used a big hose clamp to strap it to the muffler and when installed the wideband would be sitting inside the end of the muffler. The advantage was that it was portable. I could hook it up to just about any buggy. Had the laptop logging data in my sons lap as we would blast the half mile straight away. Good days for sure.