BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Spun aluminum tanks

Ever empty out one of those stock steel tanks and see all the crud/rust/etc that comes out? Yuk. So I pulled the trigger on one of these bad boys today.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x16-CENTER-...-/161273393441
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Heavy Contributor

You'll like it! Like you said, removing the corrosion problems of a steel tank is a big plus. Also added capacity and big weight reductions are a plus too.
Don't connect the shutoff directly to the tank. I mounted the tank on top of the rack using a couple of lengths of 1x1 angle. I had to use a 3" length of pipe and a 90* to get the shut off below the rack to access the lever. The length of pipe plus the weight of the shutoff eventually weakened the weld around the bottom bung creating a leak due to vibration. JB Weld fixed it but I had to put in a short length of flexible hose between the tank and shutoff to serve as a vibration buffer.
we all know how bad the carbs are for collecting trash. stuck floats, clogged jets etc. The aluminum tank helps a bunch but go a step further. Use a funnel and drop in a coffee filter when filling the tank. The amount of crud this catches is surprising.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 PM

dammit I want one of these now lol. post pics once u get it installed

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Supporting Vendor

Nice tank. I would also recommend using only non ethanol fuel. This will eliminate the water and much of the crud one gets from ethanol blended fuel. Go to pure-gas.org. Once up scroll to bottom of page and click on your state abbreviation. It will list all stations that handle the pure gas.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM

this stinks I was almost done fabing up the cargo rack and I already welded and mounted tabs and have the stock tank mounted now I see this nice upgrade and cant stop searching on it lol. I went to there main website and they have a lot of nice options.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 12-28-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Nice tank. I would also recommend using only non ethanol fuel. This will eliminate the water and much of the crud one gets from ethanol blended fuel. Go to pure-gas.org. Once up scroll to bottom of page and click on your state abbreviation. It will list all stations that handle the pure gas.
Yeah, I only run 110 leaded racing fuel..
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbob View Post
Yeah, I only run 110 leaded racing fuel..
lmao! that has to be pretty expensive, Wildbob did u get any options with the tank? internal baffle? Gas gauge ?

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 12-28-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM

forgot to also ask wildbob did u see a difference in power switching from gas to a high octane gas? Mind me asking how much u pay for it? The higher octane gas like that is usually recommended for high compression engines.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Heavy Contributor

Well, I mostly use the racing fuel because it's pre-stablized, so it's got a decent shelf life. I think last time I filled up it was $5 or 6 something a gallon for sunoco standard 110 leaded..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
lmao! that has to be pretty expensive, Wildbob did u get any options with the tank? internal baffle? Gas gauge ?
Naw, no options. I usually run her pretty hard, so i stop often enough to let her cool down and have a peak in the tank while she's chilling. I'm thinking that if I really like it, I might put this one on my son's Kandi 90 and get myself another one with a gauge though..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Heavy Contributor

I did get myself some weld on brackets though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket.jpg (6.3 KB, 4 views)

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

I keep telling myself I'm going to save up and get shocks...

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-29-2014, 02:22 PM

I see the one you bought comes with 2 strap brackets please post pics once you get it installed, this will probally be my next mod on my hammerhead just dropped the seat off today

Old 12-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I did get myself some weld on brackets though!
u get the brackets off ebay also? cant wait to see this installed, and for shocks ive heard fox and works are the top 2 shocks but expect to pay $1k for a set

Old 12-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
u get the brackets off ebay also? cant wait to see this installed, and for shocks ive heard fox and works are the top 2 shocks but expect to pay $1k for a set
Yup Ebay. One leeeeeeft!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281306877004

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Yup Ebay. One leeeeeeft!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281306877004
ur killing me wildbob !!!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Lite Contributor

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those tanks last week for the gas gauge. Definitely take pics after install.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:03 PM

im curious how much lighter in weight these tanks are also over stock, I know it depends on how big u go to

Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
im curious how much lighter in weight these tanks are also over stock, I know it depends on how big u go to
Maybe 25% lighter at best. You can easily gain the weight back depending on the steel and hardware used to mount the tank. The attraction is the added capacity, clean fuel and a touch of bling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg q45 039.jpg (95.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
Maybe 25% lighter at best. You can easily gain the weight back depending on the steel and hardware used to mount the tank. The attraction is the added capacity, clean fuel and a touch of bling.
I agree, what size did you go with ? im thinking of going with a 8x12 Center Fill - 2.5 Gallon,Internal baffle, and fuel gauge. The stock size tank I feel like lasts a long time for me. So If I can get another half gallon, lighter weight, cleaner fuel, and that touch of bling its a win win. Now I have to redo the rack I was making for the stock tank!

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 01-01-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Heavy Contributor

I'm thinking of getting a piece of 1.5" tube, notching both ends so I can lay it into the existing rack and weld it in place.. Then attach the weld-on tank brackets to that..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM

So u have the tank in hand ?? Can't wait to see it installed post pics !!!!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
So u have the tank in hand ?? Can't wait to see it installed post pics !!!!
I have the tracking number in hand. Tanks still in the mail.. I have the mounts, shutoff, new filter, fuel line, but still need to source a length of steel tube.. Plus, gotta spend some time working for Uncle Sam this week, so it might be a while.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 PM

gotcha I bet u cant wait to get it though.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

Tank arrived!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (33.9 KB, 16 views)

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM

awesome tank, can u make a keg out of it

Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

Now that's an idea, make one out of a baby keg.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Now that's an idea, make one out of a baby keg.
lots of 1/4 and 1/2 keg "tanks" on the buggies and jeeps that race up at line.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 PM

wildbob u get that bad boy mounted? Its so dam cold here I cant even go outside to do any work on buggy, nor go in garage to work on mustang!

Old 01-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Heavy Contributor

-9 this morning here in MA.. Nope, not yet. Trying to decide whether to weld a length of 1.5" tubing to the rack and use the weld-on-tube mounts or go with angle iron and mount the brackets to that.. I'm away for a week with Uncle Sam so no buggy work for me..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Supporting Vendor

Shoot it has finally reached a balmy 26 here in Mississippi. Last night it dipped to 8 degrees.: crying: but thank God my pipes did not freeze.: cheers:
Old 01-08-2015, 04:01 PM

im sick of the cold, zero degrees here yesterday, need to move a little down south where its not as cold, which equals more buggy time and more activities outside rather then being stuck inside!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

I just had to close the slider door, I think it's below 70 out there..BRRR!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
I just had to close the slider door, I think it's below 70 out there..BRRR!!!
u S%ck lol, shoot some of that heat up here

Old 01-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

Actually I don't mind riding in freezing temps.. Icy air keeping the motor cool, slipery trails, so you're sideways half the time, but I STILL have the stock V-tred tires that came on it (with two years on them).. worthless in the snow.. Trying to get anything done in the freezing garage is the hard part..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Actually I don't mind riding in freezing temps.. Icy air keeping the motor cool, slipery trails, so you're sideways half the time, but I STILL have the stock V-tred tires that came on it (with two years on them).. worthless in the snow.. Trying to get anything done in the freezing garage is the hard part..
Yup, my fingers stop working at about 40.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
Yup, my fingers stop working at about 40.
ditto

Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
lol, I still have the original tires on the rear of the 2004 hammerhead v tread also, The kid barely used it. I wont the change to these when the v treads eventually wear out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CST-AMBU...39a3fd&vxp=mtr

My next mod will most likely be the fuel tank. Then ive been looking into sandblasting and paint.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 01-17-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:45 PM

u get that bad boy in wildbob

Old 01-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Heavy Contributor

Naw, I just got home from some military duties, and haven't had a chance to do much.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Plus it won't fit into the old tank area, so I'm going to get a bit of 1.5 OD tubing to weld to the rack, then use the weld on tank mounts to attach to that..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 02-24-2015, 01:37 PM

how u making out with the tank wildbob

Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Lite Contributor

I'm to waiting to see some pics. Ready to pull the trigger
Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb2973 View Post
I'm to waiting to see some pics. Ready to pull the trigger
I will be ordering one soon, along with new round tube steel to make my own rack and tank mount. Just waiting to clear some bills and warmer weather.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Heavy Contributor

Sorry, been busy with military stuff. Got a section of 1.5" OD tube that I still have to weld to the rack, paint then I'll mount this bad boy. Also, no place to ride in MA anymore, got to look for a new stomping ground for buggy fun

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 03-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry, been busy with military stuff. Got a section of 1.5" OD tube that I still have to weld to the rack, paint then I'll mount this bad boy. Also, no place to ride in MA anymore, got to look for a new stomping ground for buggy fun
that stinks riding places are becoming thinner and are making the hobby harder for people. Either way take some pics for us.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Supporting Vendor

That's why you guy's need to join the AMA. They fight for our rights to public land as well as many other issues with Motorcycles and ATV's. It's like $35.00 per year for membership. They send out their letters of info as to new proposals for legislation and regulations. Well worth the money spent.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 03-15-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: correct grammer
Old 07-14-2015, 10:57 AM

wildbob I know your back so want to ask how do you like the spun aluminum fuel tank? and if you wouldn't mind could you post some pics of it mounted on the buggy.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Heavy Contributor

I like it. I'm not an expert fabricator, so my welds aren't the prettiest, but it's nice. I thought I bought a vented fuel cap but I dunno, seems to pressurize and push fuel when it sits in the sun. vent might work only one way. Haven't gotten to use it but for a couple runs up and down the street. Carb trouble had it sidelined since October. I'll be spending the weekend tuning/camping/riding! It's filthy but I'll post some pics in a bit.

2014 Kandi 90B

Last edited by wildbob; 07-14-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh, and I'm back in the saddle with 200 acres of private land to ride on again!!

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 07-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Heavy Contributor

Pics of the tank!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1688.jpg (100.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1689.jpg (87.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1690.jpg (94.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1691.jpg (96.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1692.jpg (99.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1693.jpg (99.0 KB, 17 views)

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 07-14-2015, 04:37 PM

200 acres sounds like plenty of riding room lol

Old 07-14-2015, 04:40 PM

nice tank!, came out good if you ask me, I bet a fill up lasts a very long time. From the looks of it your gas cap doesn't look like its vented like you mentioned.