Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
Help wit New Buggie recomdation for young boys on hills. - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Lurker

Default Help wit New Buggie recomdation for young boys on hills.

Need help selecting a cart for my boys. I have been able to see the Trailmaster XRX/R locally. It has reverse and the Black Honda 5.5 HP Clone. CVT trans. they want 1799. I drove that one and it felt good. But not sure It would make my hills all day long?

I do think the Mid size is good for a starter Kart for my boys.

Also saw a Kandi Kart 110cc GY6 engine. I dont know anything about the GY6. I was not able to drive it. Is it better? louder? maintenance? they want 1599. It has the 3 speed semi automatic trans. I Don't think I want the semi auto trans.

I am mostly concerned with hill climbing ability. I have a few acres of rolling hills. If I had to guess I would think the max grade is 25 to 30 degrees. Most of the hills are probably about 15 to 20 degrees.

I would prefer more low end for that. There is not a lot of area for them to get it up to speed.

Also I see these same Karts are much cheaper online. Like $1000~ delivered. I am very mechanically handy. Any reason I should not order online? Are any of the online vendors more reputable????

So one of my main questions is the different engine types.... Honda Clone vs GY6, and any advantages vs disadvantages.

Any should I be looking to order a different model than the trailmasters or Kandi Karts? My general budget is $700 to 2000. I dont mind spending on the higher end of that budget if it is worth it... But like to save money where possible.

Thanks for all you help.. All comments will help.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Contributor

Welcome to the site fellow Georgian . Don't know much about the Trailmaster buggy. But the Kandi with the 110cc 3speed is not a GY6 engine.
My son has a 110cc Kandi, it's pretty good for him(7). The 1st gear is really low, 2nd is the one you'll use the most on trails once you get going, and 3rd is only useful on the very top of 2nd. Think of 3rd as a OD gear. It's a great little kids buggy for light trails, not sure how good it would be on steep hills though.
If you plan on riding in it with your boys on anything other than the yard or street, I'd buy a buggy with the 150cc GY6. Replacement parts are plentiful and cheap too for this engine. You always upgrade later to some performance parts as well to squeeze more out of it. I like the 150cc gy6 over the 5.5hp because of the options it gives you to grow.
As far as choosing between the TM and the Kandi? Not sure, I've never owned a TM. The only Kandi experience is with my son's buggy and when I called for a part they answered immediately and had the part to me in 3 days.
I do have a Hammerhead 250 SS, which is pretty much the same as the TM,but with a different engine. I do like it, and it seems to be built better compared to some other chinese buggies I've been around and driven. But haven't been around a 150cc or above Kandi for me to give a direct comparison against each other.
If you decide to order a buggy and put it together yourself, use lots of loc-tite on the bolts and nuts. That's the one thing I tell everyone who puts one of these together. I also change out all my rollbar bolts to 10.9 or 12.9 bolts, or any other bolt that breaks I'll swap out with these too.
Good luck on your choice and hope your boys love it. ( I know they will.)
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD

Last edited by EVILWS6; 11-16-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:59 AM
Contributor

Cool

Welcome to the site , I fell into this hobby mainly for Grandkids , but Grandpa , and Grandma have more fun on 150 gy6 buggy's than their ATV'S . Don't know the age of your boy's but something to consider - properly maintained gy6 150 's are like old Honda three wheelers , last forever , size would last suit them thru their teens and beyond . 110 will be outgrown by 12 . GO KARTS USA , and FAMILY GO KARTS seem to always have good deals on the TRAILMASTER 150 , and other gy6 150 buggy's . I don't care for the 110 midsize ( I like to ride too )
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY