BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > ATV Dirt Bike and UTV Forums > ATV and Dirt Bike Forum

ATV and Dirt Bike Forum Forum for All ATV’s and Dirt Bikes

Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Lurker

Default Mystery SunL 230cc 4 wheeler...?

OK, I'm officially buggy crazy. I bought 2 used ASW in the past month. I was talked out of the helix by a friend. I traded him it for a nice air compressor and a parts ATV that he was considering rebuilding and some cash. I thought ...OK with the web sites I have been searching for buggy info I have found alot of places to buy parts etc. So...what I have is a 230cc atv that is in pieces, needs a spindle or something, haven't really gotten to go through it thoroughly just yet. It is a SUNL brand, and has some...what I would consider....really nice shocks on the front ( I consider them nice because they have a reservoir). Anyway, would anyone know a model number for something like this? Just figured I'd give a shout out to see if anyone would know off the top of their head before I go searching for serial numbers.

Who knows, maybe I'll butcher it and use it for buggy parts....or make a monster lawnmower!

Thanks, any help is appreciated!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

See if you can match it with one of SUNL's vehicles:

http://sunl.us/productoverview.asp?m...cc%20-%20250cc
Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Lurker

The pics on their website appear to be broken. From what I read there though doesn't appear they carry a 230 anymore.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

SUNL's new site is not much help: http://massimomotor.com/product.asp?...ATVs-200-250cc

There is some speculation that it is a copy of the Yamaha BearTracker or TimberWolf.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Lurker

This one appears to be the closest one

http://massimomotor.com/productview....0-250cc&pid=15

I'm totally going by the shocks in the front and the head lamps. The one I have has no stickers, the body is in pieces but I think theres a piece that looks like that back rack in the pile of stuff too. I don't think it would be either of those yamaha's. This one has a clutch, 2wd and looks way sportier than either of those 2.
Thanks a ton for the help! At least this gives me a bit of a direction.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

The one in the last pic has killer A-arms,My vote would be canabalize it for a buggy build.If you make a single seater you can utilize the swing arm.Do you have skills & tools?!!!! I bet if you start looking you can find a non-running buggy cheap to have a platform to work with.As long as you have all the electrical components and it runs you're half way there expense wise.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Lurker

HAHA! I have been looking, but it seems I bought both of the used reasonably priced buggies in WNY LOL! I have tools, and what skills I don't have I have friends that have them. Mostly with cars but....it'll be a fun project. I actually bought a nice welder as payment to a friend for doing work on my 1967 ford van...which (since the buggy ...bug bit me will be put in storage until further notice hehe). I'm going to try to take some pics of the ATV tomorrow morning, and post them. They really are impressive A arms. BTW Metalstudman I subscribed to your youtube channel and look forward to more vids posted!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Looking forward to the pics. Thanx for watching our little world on youtube! If I can get my wife to shot some vid instead of driving we'd upload more often-
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Lurker

As promised pictures of the 4 wheeler. I'm told it runs well, but haven't had time to play with it at all.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

After seeing the pics it's in my eyes a perfect canidate for a single seater buggy. Good front end just cut it loose and weld on a frame-spindles are fairly easy to fab and using heims will complete that. The swing arm is simple to mod for the engine to sit on when widening the connection at the cockpit.Engine plates are easily reused. Brake looks OK other than a rusty rotor and a universal type master cylinder. Radiator appears flat and easy enough to mount over the engine.Now just scrounge up a seat,a couple of rear shocks,steering wheel and shaft,shifter cable and stick,gas tank,rack-n-pinion and some tubing.(or a trashed buggy cheap).Hope the motor runs as good as it looks.Let us know what you decide to do with it!!!! How about a pic of the 2 buggies
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Lurker

I almost got a pic of the carbide, it's in a couple pieces now thanks to a rattle and stuttering down low. I think it's transmission related but had to get some adapters to make my "new" compressor work so I can get the variator off and inspect. I got it used, and my girlfriends son was using it and probably not shifting it like I told him, and now its broke, but this weekend plan on getting it off and ordering some parts. The helix went to a friend of mine, but I'm regretting that decision, it ran so good and smooth and the only problem with it was the PO put a 21 inch tire on it, so it has the original 18 and the 21. I mostly regret it because I'm 6'2" and I fit in the helix better than the carbide. Eh well, looking at some used spider boxes that are a few hours away right now anyway (I think I should fit in those perfect).

Since you are still reading this thread, which I appreciate. Any idea what this is?

Found it on craigslist for 300, he says it needs brakes, and a throttle cable and only about 4 hours from me. Also supposedly a yamaha 200 atv engine with auto clutch.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Kinda looks like a Rattler. I like how you say it's only 4 hrs. away!!!!! that a lot of driving to find out it isn't what they say it is mechanically. Yamaha has a nice 200 that came in the atc's and the moto's-very reliable and solid.$300. is cheap but 8 hrs worth of fuel and your time is a lot!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Lurker

LOL yeah, well...its nice to get away every now and again. Even if it's only to turn right around and come back. Besides, sometimes you have to drive a bit to find what is not available local. Been looking at a spiderbox about 2 hours away as well. I think I'd fit in the spiderbox not sure about the yellow thing.

edit: the guy just texted me back about the yerfdog and says its more for kids and he's not sure how well I'd fit. Never saw one in person so not sure either.

Last edited by stugots; 04-21-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Lurker

The 2 carts, I still have the carbide, regretting selling the helix