BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Default stators

Tom i appreciate the info on the cdi's, now if you dont mind could you tell me what the big differences are between the different type stators i.e. 6,8,11 pole, and are they worth the difference?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

In the past we wanted the biggest stator to handle the bright lights but today I would just keep the normal 6 pole and run the led lights. The bigger the stator the more HP loss due to drag on the engine. I currently have the 11 pole on the 150 buggy but still have the original 4 pole stator. Since I'm going with the led lights I will be going back to the 4 pole stator. All the guy's racing scooters which today come with the 6 pole are looking for the 4 pole to gain some more HP. The other thing I found out about the 10 & 11 pole stators is if your going to push the high RPM range you really need a current stabilizer. I could never figure out for several years as to why when I drove my buggy normally I would have no problems but when I would open it up for a long duration and especially when I installed the new cam raising my RPM curve drag racing the 300' track, when I turned the ignition off my buggy would do nothing and I would have to replace the blown out fuse. One year at the Dealer Expo I was talking to Rick from Rick's Stators, explaining my reoccurring problem he asked if I was using a current stabilizer and naturally my answer was HUH??. He laughed and explained to me that with the large stator and the extreme RPM range the current would spike which is why my fuse would blow. Not everybody will have this problem for it depends on the stator. Motorcycle stators have the current stabilizers built in as do many of the sport quads especially the 2 cycle. Bottom line is, today I would not go to a bigger stator to run the 50 watt lights I would just go with a quality led light since you get more light then a 50 watt but only use maybe 5 watts and less than 1 amp draw. A quality led will cost more but still comes out cheaper then the conventional lights, new 10 or 11 pole stator and rectifier/regulator as well as the time to rewire.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM

Thanks alot for the info Tom, as always I appreciate your knowledge!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM

I would imagine the advancements in lighting(HID, LED) would have made the big pole stators almost obsolete. I am looking for a decent set of LED spots for the new Dazon as we speak. MMmm upgrades, lol.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

The HID's still draw quite a bit but the LED's draw next to nothing.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
The HID's still draw quite a bit but the LED's draw next to nothing.
Yeah, on start up they do, but the current to run them after is much lower than the same size incandescent. The part I don't like about the HID, is the ballast, too bulky. That being said, I put a set in the civic a few weeks ago, and holy cheebus, the difference.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

Well on my vehicle I would definitely go HID due to the intense bright white light it gives off. The average car or truck has the charging capacity for this application.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Contributor

This was from last spring when I put a 6 led 18w in place of the very dim 15w light. The only problem is the leds light up all the dust and if you are following it is very hard to see. If you are up front no problem, I plan to put another one on soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZz6EbgB1c

Last edited by Johnny 5; 03-03-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have lights both up high and down low in front grill. If really dusty or raining I turn the top lights off.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Contributor

That is a great idea, I will try that next trip. We will try to go in late March or early April.