BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 12-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Front end options on spider

Have question. Seen ppl talk about easier way to beef up a buggy. Manco/ spider box. Xbird I thought brought up using a Quad front end. And pic looked nice.
Here is question. I've pretty much already beefed up my Spiderbox front end much as it can go. NEED GOOD FRONT SHOCKS. Still trying to save money for WORK shocks.
Would it be worth it, to look for a cheap Quad, and just replace the entire front end?
Or since Front end is already beefed up, and just lacking the shocks, should I stay on that path?
Going to be around $800 for the shocks. But life time warranty on the entire front end, and the shocks if I get them. Can I get a Quad I need for that price? My dad has a Artic Cat, they might be going into retirement in few years. Just a 2 wheel drive. Would that work?
Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 AM

me personally if you already spent all that money beefing up the front end, I would leave it, when I did all the front end mods, it was a world of a difference. Id say do shocks if your off roading a lot. I cant speak for a quad front end since I never did one.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Heavy Contributor

I would tend to agree with you. But $800.00 is a lot to put into shocks. Just wondering if could spend half that much on a Quad front end swap? I know there would be much more work into it for me. But don't mind.
Or wondering if anyone knows some other shocks that will be a great improvement, but say half the price of "Works". Shocks I got are a upgrade from stock. But there has got to be something better out there. Still rough riding. Yes a lot of off roading.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

It really doesn't matter what kind of front suspension is being used. The main component of the whole system is the shock. Poor shock= Poor ride.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Power User

^^DING DING^^ You've got the work into it, time for good shocks. They dont' necessarily need to be worx. I've said sooo many times, a good rebuildable shock is affordable used and can be tuned. Getting the right spring rate is a bit tougher. in the end for about $200-300 you can get used shocks, rebuild them, tune them and buy some different springs to test with. Once you're into DECENT air/oil shocks, at the mini buggy level, a shock is a shock is a shock--they're all performing the same function --it's the spring rate that matters.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

That sounds good. And I guess the shock would be most important. I know you know what your talking about X-bird. However, tuning rebuilding, and putting a new spring in a shock is greek to me.
Not sure where to even start. If I could do that for $300.00, I'm all for it.
What kind of shocks would I start to look at? If do this, I want to do both front and back.
could you give a detailed desribtion on what your talking about X? or you got a link, that I can get into? Again, I'm all for it, if can improve the ride.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 AM
Power User

i stick with Fox shocks since every single one out there in the quad and sled world that uses them has interchangeable parts except for shaft length and they're high quality. servicing and tuning them is ridiculously easy once you've done it one time. if you go to Fox Shock's website, you can download the standard service manual on the Ride Fox portion of the site.

which to chose? start by measuring your eye-to-eye distance. buy a decent used pair based on that, make sure they have good shafts, no pitting/rust and not bent. shafts cost around $55 each new. with length resolved, it doesn't matter what they were on, they're all basically the same inside. front springs from sleds tend to be a good choice. for rears, the fox podiums off of polaris predators work pretty well. one way to hone in spring rate is to change the mounting points so the motion ratio changes-- using leverage to tune the rate.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 AM
Heavy Contributor

thanks X. I will look into fox.