BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 PM
Contributor

Default Electric Oil Pump What Do You Think Or Know?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has knowledge or thoughts on using an atv electric oil pump to push oil through a small oil cooler?

I have heard that the stock pump is not powerful enough to pump through oil coolers.

Charles

Guang Max 150
All stock but to be like Buggy 1 with all koso cvt.

Roketa 150
Complete tear down building port/polished 61mm NCY head, 62mm cylinder, A12 Cam, 28mm carb, straight through exhaust, 8 pole stator, possibly 2.5 stroker, painting frame, adding plastic including doors and rzr seats.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

I didn't know there was electric oil pumps. What a ATV comes with an electric oil pump?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
I didn't know there was electric oil pumps. What a ATV comes with an electric oil pump?
ditto.. never knew there was such a thing.
A few thoughts come to mind...
A electric pump requires a lot of amperage to push the viscosity of motor oil. Most of these motors don't have that much power to spare.
A electric pump puts one more area of possible failure in the system. loose that pump you've lost it all.
The stock mechanical system is not a bad system . It does a very good job of creating pressure and circulation. Very dependable, As a rule mechanical pumps don't fail.
Coolers have been used for many, many years.Never heard or experienced a oil starvation problem due the cooler restriction. Only from improper installation.
There's two types of cooler systems. One is the cheap aftermarket add on that plumbs from the filter drain plug on the bottom of the motor. These Are junk!
The second is the center case mount where fittings are tapped into the oil galley path to re-route the flow through a cooler. These are functional and dependable.
I see no gain from using a electric pump
Old 01-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Contributor

ckau,

I have read that the stock mechanical does not have the ability of pushing oil through an oil cooler, which is why I was wondering about electric.

I am thinking if you have an 8 pole stator then it should be able to handle an electric oil pump without issue.

I was also thinking that you do not disable the mechanical, leave it in place. However, to do electric oil pump in the lines to the actual cheaper oil cooler that attaches to the oil drain plug. Then in my theory it can pump it through the lines without ever hindering the mechanical.

Interested in more thoughts.

Guang Max 150
All stock but to be like Buggy 1 with all koso cvt.

Roketa 150
Complete tear down building port/polished 61mm NCY head, 62mm cylinder, A12 Cam, 28mm carb, straight through exhaust, 8 pole stator, possibly 2.5 stroker, painting frame, adding plastic including doors and rzr seats.