BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 AM
Lurker

Default Baja reaction 150 has no power

Bought a Baja reaction 150.was sitting for a long time and started buying new parts for it.(NEW:Battery,CDI,Starter relay,Regulator,Spark Plug,Coil,Ignition switch,Kill switch and carburetor). So my problem is that I only get power to the starter relay,brake switch and voltage regulator and that's it.i get no power to anything else.anybody have an idea what can cause no power to anything else

-I HAVE SPARK WHEN KEYS ON
-ONLY HAVE POWER TO:STARTER RELAY,BRAKE SWITCH,VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Last edited by Sickler; 03-11-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 AM

I suck at electrical crap, someone will eventually come along to answer it though.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
I suck at electrical crap, someone will eventually come along to answer it though.
Thanks for the reply..hope so this has been bothering me
Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 AM

The guys here are very knowledgeable - Good luck.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

You need to be more specific. Will it not crank? If so does it have spark?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
You need to be more specific. Will it not crank? If so does it have spark?
No power= no crank motor does nothing . Doesn't seem to have spark ethier
Old 03-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

With the switch in the #1 position (ign. on) you should have power battery voltage to one wire on the CDI. On the start solenoid you have 2 larger battery wires to each of the large terminals, than 2 small wires that plug into the chassis harness these are to energize the solenoid so as to send 12v out the other large terminal to the starter. Turn the switch to the #2 position (spring loaded). One of the 2 small wires should have 12v in this start position. This will let you know if the ign. switch is working. If you don't have power to their respected areas in the on and or start position than check the switch. Also there should be a fuse 10a in a small single fuse holder, make sure it is not blown
Old 03-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Lurker

Quote:
With the switch in the #1 position (ign. on) you should have power battery voltage to one wire on the CDI. On the start solenoid you have 2 larger battery wires to each of the large terminals, than 2 small wires that plug into the chassis harness these are to energize the solenoid so as to send 12v out the other large terminal to the starter. Turn the switch to the #2 position (spring loaded). One of the 2 small wires should have 12v in this start position. This will let you know if the ign. switch is working. If you don't have power to their respected areas in the on and or start position than check the switch. Also there should be a fuse 10a in a small single fuse holder, make sure it is not blown
Thanks for the reply! Iam going to follow your directions and try this tonight .ill let you know how I make out.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Lurker

Ok so I turned the key to the 1st position and checked for power at the CDI.there was no power to that.also turned the key all the way and have zero power to stator.the ignition switch is brand new and I have no power going to it.no matter what position the key is in the only power I get is to the voltage regulator and brake switch ...nothing else.and changed that fuse and still nothing.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

How many wires to the Ign switch? Is it an original type switch?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Lurker

Quote:
How many wires to the Ign switch? Is it an original type switch?
3 wires.yes original type
Old 03-09-2017, 02:37 AM
Lurker

Do you think the new starter relay I got could be broke already? Seems like everything connected to the positive term side of relay works but nothing else from other side of relay
Old 03-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Lurker

Just scanned thro it have you tried jumping the soilinoed the 3 wires red black and yellow?
Old 03-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemudd View Post
Just scanned thro it have you tried jumping the soilinoed the 3 wires red black and yellow?
Now do you mean like take a screwdriver and touch the 2 post on the starter solenoid ? I have done that and the motor will turn over but won't run
Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickler View Post
Now do you mean like take a screwdriver and touch the 2 post on the starter solenoid ? I have done that and the motor will turn over but won't run
Yes. It will turn over but wont? Is it getting hung up? Have u tried with the plug out
Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Yes. It will turn over but wont? Is it getting hung up? Have u tried with the plug out
Not getting hung up.it will crank no problem when I jump the solenoid.but I don't think it's getting spark to actually run the
Engine.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 PM

To check spark, pull plug, and while trying to start buggy put the tip of the spark plug against a bolt on the frame., with the coil wire attached to the plug, you should see spark.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 03-09-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Not getting hung up.it will crank no problem when I jump the solenoid.but I don't think it's getting spark to actually run the
Engine.
Your soleeniod starter are both good. Did you use a univeral key switch or i have a 6150 helix 3 wire key switch the black was power to cdi red was batt yellow igniton do you have a volt meeter or test light
Old 03-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Lite Contributor

This is a photo of the ignition switch in my Baja Reaction 150 buggy. I bought it from a parts store (Harbour Freight USA / Princess Auto Canada) to replace the factory unit. The package called it out as a universal ATV ignition switch. There are multiple ways to hook this up, but only one way actually works for the Baja. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignition Switch.jpg (92.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Lurker

What color are your wires coming from the back i had tge same issue with mine.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Lurker

It looks like you could have a wire backwards do you know what color the wires going to the back do u have a volt meter or test light
Old 03-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Lite Contributor

Here's a better photo of my ignition switch in a Baja Reaction 150 showing the wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignition Key setup.jpg (82.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Lurker

The 3 wires go to the back of the kart one to the battery with the fuse one to the starter and one to the cdi. Need to know what color they are they are diffrent on my kart.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Lurker

Does it have 5 wires total 2 for the kill switch what color are them
Old 03-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gy6buggy88 View Post
This is a photo of the ignition switch in my Baja Reaction 150 buggy. I bought it from a parts store (Harbour Freight USA / Princess Auto Canada) to replace the factory unit. The package called it out as a universal ATV ignition switch. There are multiple ways to hook this up, but only one way actually works for the Baja. Hope this helps.
yes that's the same switch I have wired same way!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Lurker

Quote:
yes that's the same switch I have wired same way!
Id ohm out the wires
Old 03-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Lurker

heres a picture of the wiring.the red lines represent the only power I get no matter what.

EDIT: I HAVE SPARK WHEN KEY IS ON!

baja by kory sickler, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152783.../shares/784fi1

Last edited by Sickler; 03-11-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Id ohm out the wires

only getting ohm's out of the green wire that goes to the ignition switch(1018 ohm's)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Your soleeniod starter are both good. Did you use a univeral key switch or i have a 6150 helix 3 wire key switch the black was power to cdi red was batt yellow igniton do you have a volt meeter or test light
I got the replacement 3 wire ignition switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know which wire goes where on the ignition switch?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Lurker

Quote:
I got the replacement 3 wire ignition switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know which wire goes where on the ignition switch?
found the order for wiring ignition switch

1-BLACK WIRE-GROUND
2-GREEN WIRE-TO CDI
3-YELLOW/GREEN-SOLENOID
Old 03-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Lurker

is there constant power to the ignition switch or kill switch? because when I check for volts at the wires on both I have zero power to them
Old 03-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
is there constant power to the ignition switch or kill switch? because when I check for volts at the wires on both I have zero power to them
you won't get a voltage reading through the kill or ignition because they control the ground side of the system only. Check all wires for continuity. Check the brake switch for proper function. It's a safety feature that won't allow the starter to turn over unless the brake pedal is held down while cranking Most bypass the brake switch because they tend to be problematic.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
you won't get a voltage reading through the kill or ignition because they control the ground side of the system only. Check all wires for continuity. Check the brake switch for proper function. It's a safety feature that won't allow the starter to turn over unless the brake pedal is held down while cranking Most bypass the brake switch because they tend to be problematic.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
What's involved with bypassing brake switch?just combining the 2 wires on brake switch together?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
What's involved with bypassing brake switch?just combining the 2 wires on brake switch together?
Yes, it's a normally open switch. when pedal pressure is applied, the switch closes to complete the circuit. Bypassing takes one possible problem out of the equation.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
Yes, it's a normally open switch. when pedal pressure is applied, the switch closes to complete the circuit. Bypassing takes one possible problem out of the equation.

WELL WELL WELL!!!!!

Bypassing the brake switch made the key
Actually work and turn over the motor.was cranking the motor for bout 5 minutes and it finally turned on! Whoa!! No more problems. Ow.thanks guys for all your help
Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Lite Contributor

Glad to hear your up and running. The brake switch never even occurred to as my Baja Reaction 150 does not have one. Maybe it's just a model year difference thing? Can you post a photo of your brake pedal setup?
Old 03-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Glad to hear your up and running. The brake switch never even occurred to as my Baja Reaction 150 does not have one. Maybe it's just a model year difference thing? Can you post a photo of your brake pedal setup?
Here is a picture of the brake switch right behind the
Driver seat.

https://flic.kr/p/RGFdvK
Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Lite Contributor

Ok thanks. That's a different setup than my Reaction. I have a different type brake reservoir and it's in the front of the buggy, in front of the brake pedal. My didn't come with a brake switch, so no ignition cutoff circuit. Just goes to show how the manufactures changed up the designs over the years. Does yours have a bench seat or 2 seats?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Ok thanks. That's a different setup than my Reaction. I have a different type brake reservoir and it's in the front of the buggy, in front of the brake pedal. My didn't come with a brake switch, so no ignition cutoff circuit. Just goes to show how the manufactures changed up the designs over the years. Does yours have a bench seat or 2 seats?
I actually just installed seats out of a razor .
Old 03-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Lite Contributor

Good choice. I tossed my originals too and in process of installing RCI full size poly car buckets. Requires roll cage widening though, but I love those seats. Was going to get the RZR's but I got the poly seats for cheap.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Good choice. I tossed my originals too and in process of installing RCI full size poly car buckets. Requires roll cage widening though, but I love those seats. Was going to get the RZR's but I got the poly seats for cheap.
Yea I was looking at car buckets but couldn't find anything cheap.came across a pair of razor seats for $100 so I jumped all over them.they are tight in there and had to move the shifter.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:18 PM

good job, on fixing the problem, I was never a fan of the brake switch, I got rid of it on my yerf dog when I had it.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
good job, on fixing the problem, I was never a fan of the brake switch, I got rid of it on my yerf dog when I had it.
Yes thanks to the help of everyone.this is my first time owning or messing around with something like this so it's a learning experience right now.but if next one I get had it out it will go