BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Lurker

Default Problem removing cvt cover due to frame clearance

Hey everyone, new to site and buggies, but I've plenty of small engine projects over years. I recently traded my jet ski for a 150cc buggy, it's a Dongfeng df200gka. It's set like most gy6 buggies, but when I went to remove the cover to put some new parts in, I can NOT get the cover off. There is a frame brace that runs diagonal from the top rear of the engine subframe to about midway on the cover. This frame pivots with the engine, and with the chain removed and engine up or down all the way, there's still no room. The clutch bell sticks out too close to the brace, almost like it was all assembled outside of the frame then installed. As far as I can tell, no other buggy has this brace or this problem. Am I correct or has anyone else had this issue, and a solution? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:13 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A27Raptor View Post
almost like it was all assembled outside of the frame then installed. !
Your right ! that's exactly what happens. It's the nature of the beast. On some models there may be a shock or a exhaust component or in your case, a frame brace that has to be removed to gain access. It's a pita and not something you want to do on a regular basis. If you are wanting to experiment with different clutch and/or weight settings there's nothing wrong with leaving the cover off temporally while testing.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 AM
Lurker

So ive seen. I had to remove the engine mount bolts and shift the engine up and over to the right in order to remove the cover. What I've since an into is the impossible to remove variator and clutch nuts. Broken a strap wrench and without an impact im no closer to getting them off.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Supporting Vendor

If you don't have air, go to Harbor Freight and get an electric impact, I believe they also have an 18 volt one.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

Those variator and clutch nut can be a real pita to remove the first time. Their blasted on with air during the initial assembly. Be kind to the crank threads when your reassembling. A few times of off/on with a impact will stress the crank threads. Stripped threads on the crank is bad news. You don't need that kind of torque to hold the nuts on. A good hand tightening will hold the nuts fine and you will be able to get them off again.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

To be exact, according to the Honda Tech manuals the 150 and 250cc engines the variator and clutch is 45ft. lbs for the 150cc and 60ft. lbs. for the 250cc engines. After tourking with back end up on jack stands wheels removed accelerate the engine 10 times to where the cvt completes 10 complete cycles then re torque the nuts again.I personally use a 3/8" air impact with no problems, but I have used an impact for many years and know just how far to go when tightening.