BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Lurker

Default 150cc GY6 hard to start

I bought a used American Sportworks Carbide 150cc buggy (gy6 engine off) off craigslist a year ago. Ever since I bought it, its been hard to get it started. I’m new to this motor/carb (and inexperienced in this area in general), but I try to DIY as much as I can, so hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

I’ll try to describe it as best I can…Even with a charged battery and fresh gas, it takes a while of cranking (usually a minute or so) to get it started. After 15 seconds or so, it will start to sputter and act like its going to crank, but just wont all the way. I’ll try giving it some gas, at that seems to help some, but it takes forever to get it to where it will stay cranked up, and even then, I have to hold down the gas a bit for a couple minutes to warm it up some, because if I take my foot off the gas, it will sputter out. And even after that, it will still sputter out sometimes until we ride it for 5-10 minutes to really warm it up.

Once its warmed up, I can turn it off and crank it back up pretty quickly. But once it sits for 20-30 minutes, its back to it taking forever to crank.

I have noticed that when the engine is cold and I try to crank it, that sometimes in the middle of the typical sound it makes when trying to crank it that I’ll hear a weird kind of sound almost like a goose with laryngitis honking. It will usually just do this once or twice for a half second, and then I’ll sometimes hear it again 10 seconds later. Dunno if this is indicative of anything or not.

But I'm kinda curious if you guys think its just the carb gummed up, or some other issue.

I've thought about just replacing the carb, but probably worth it to try cleaning it first. I did find this post on another forum, where a guy had somewhat similar issue and it seems running seafoam through the fuel line and into the carb and then letting it sit in the carb overnight seemed to do magic: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30920

I've also thought about just getting a kit like this with the hope that it solves my issues: http://www.gopowersports.com/150cc-c...-upgrade-jets/

And then maybe also adding a fuel cut off switch to let the fuel run out of the carb each time we park it, as it seems i've read somewhere that these carbs dont like fuel sitting in them too long.

Any advice/help is much appreciated!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Lite Contributor

Adjust your valve lash, see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn't, remove your rubber intake neck and check it for cracks, and make sure it's sealing against the engine snug. If in doubt replace it with a new one, I like the aluminum upgrade type.

Replace your spark plug with a new Champion or NGK brand. The part #s are on this site somewhere.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gy6buggy88 View Post
Adjust your valve lash, see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn't, remove your rubber intake neck and check it for cracks, and make sure it's sealing against the engine snug. If in doubt replace it with a new one, I like the aluminum upgrade type.

Replace your spark plug with a new Champion or NGK brand. The part #s are on this site somewhere.
Looks like you were spot on on the valve lash. I found a tutorial on adjusting the valve clearance....much easier process than I anticipated. Took me like 30 min to have it adjusted and everything back together. They were both so tight that I couldn't get a .001 feeler gauge in there. After setting both to .004, the buggy starts up immediately. Working the best it has since I bought it. Thanks so much!
Old 04-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Lurker

Mine has this same problem. I play hell just to get mine to start and stay running and ince its warmed up it starts just fine. I have been fighting with the carb and i never though about checking the vlave lash. I am flaf i came across your post i will try it anf hope for the best that is the problem.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Lurker

Default Starts, Runs, then dies after a few minutes

So I let my Kinroad Tarzan with a GY6 sit too long and the gas went bad. I drained all the bad fuel, replaced the fuel tank valve and filter. Carb has been completely dissembled and cleaned.

I am now using ethanol free gas. The buggy will now start with the help of a shot of starting fluid and will idle for about 2 minutes. Then it just stops and will not restart until it cools down.

Any suggestions?