BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Lurker

Default Reverse gearbox

I have a 2 seater Dingo and would like to add reverse. I noticed there are basically 2 different aftermarket gearboxes available, one comes with shifter and 5/8" shaft for driven clutch usually around 200 bucks. How do these stand up, are they weak and prone to break down? The other style are a planetary gear originally used on ATV and some Manco karts usually around 130 bucks. I can t find any details though, what style/size shafts do they use, do they stand up well? Another interesting Idea I came across was a guy welded a sprocket onto an electric winch and mounted the whole thing onto a hinged plate, when lowered the sprocket meshes into final drive chain and provides reverse, its on youtube under https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmq-mzF_MbY&t=13s pretty clever but no info about how effective it works.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Buggy Depot will have the complete setup, everything needed and it is a good unit. As long as you shift them from a complete stop they have no problems but that is also true with the new internal reverse buggies. Don'y buy cheap cause you get what you pay for.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Heavy Contributor

I would suggest the unit from buggy depot. Full kit. I did piece the stuff together, in the end, the kit was just slightly over what I paid. If I had to buy the gear box. But didn't. still took while to get shifter, recoil spring, cable. and brackets. The kit is way to go.
to add to sycarms, the reverse gear is very low. dont slam on the gas in reverse. Will give you whiplash. they do hold up well, I add grease to the box at the start of each year, no issues for 4 years.
The cable seems to be the thing that goes out on them. I'd keep a spare on hand.