BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Shadowfocus603 Shadowfocus603 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Default Difference between a buggy and a go kart

How and where do guys delineate between buggy and kart? I have a Manco 906c and don't want to post in the wrong area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM
tkeagle tkeagle is offline
Heavy Contributor

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Central Kansas
Posts: 539

Not sure there is any black and white on that. All in the eye of the beholder.
My thoughts, if it has front and rear suspension, could be called a buggy.
Think calling a machine with only solid axles, would be a stretch. But can't say it would be wrong.
Could be as simple as, if built for off road, compared street only.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM
neo71665 neo71665 is offline
Lite Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 86

To me a buggy has suspension and intended to be driven off road. Engines tend to be scooter, atv, or motorcycle based with a transmission of some sort and reverse

A kart can have suspension but normally doesn't and is aimed for smoother surfaces like pavement or a yard. Generally has a lawnmower based engine with only a centrifugal clutch but bolt on cvts have become popular. Forward gears only.

Since there isn't a clean cut definition it can mean whatever you want it to. Around here everybody calls them all go karts anyways.

Last edited by neo71665; 12-06-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 PM
EVILWS6's Avatar
EVILWS6 EVILWS6 is offline

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NE Ga.
Posts: 126

A mini buggy to me is a full suspension, electric start, cvt or manual trans engine with reverse, Lights(headlights, taillights, brake lights, roof lights, etc.), CDI, some type of instrument/switch cluster(key switch,lights,horn,speedometer,12v outlet,etc.), hydraulic braking system, harnesses and rollcage, and made to be driven off road.
Go karts usually have smaller wheels and tires, no suspension or very cheap suspension set up, no hydraulic brakes, industrial type engine with a pull cord(though some have reverse and electric start), usually cheaper than a buggy, no electronics( some do have head lights), and better for riding in the yard or street.
I know that are models like Crossfire 150 and Yerfdog Spiderbox that did not come with reverse, but I still consider those a buggy. I also have a Yerfdog 3203 that has a rollcage and front and rear suspension, but I'd call it a go kart.
For me, a buggy is more advanced and complicated compared to a simple designed go kart. The buggy will be more expensive to maintain and repair when broken compared to a go kart. But you can usually get more performance options for a buggy too.
Though both are fun to drive, if I planned on going off road or trail riding in parks I'd get a buggy. If I was just cruising around the neighborhood or yard I'd get a go kart.
2010 Carter Interceptor GTR 300
2010 Hammerhead 250 SS
2015 Kandi 49FM5 110cc
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD

Last edited by EVILWS6; 12-07-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.