BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Lurker

Default Disappointed with power, any suggestions?

Hey guys,

Im still very new to the minibuggy world, just got my first Hammerhead 150 2-seater last week. I got it used and instead of trying to diagnose what was wrong with the engine, after burning up the starter clutch from trying to get it to start, I just bought a rebuilt complete engine from GY6 Monster.

While I was going I read up on this forum and another the standard mods and since I was having it built I went ahead and had him install everything for me. I go 11g rollers and yellow spring, Uni Filter and intake, performance CDI and coil, 125 jet, and new complete stock exhaust(the factory one was gone which probably contributed to the reason it wasn't running).

I installed it Friday night and it fired right off and idles great. Drove it on Saturday around my 3 acre yard and decided it was running good enough to take to my local OHV park. So I loaded it up and my son and I left out.

Well it does ok on but still pulls away from a stop very slowly, to put it bluntly it wont spin the tires on the dirt. Then top speed, while I didn't verify it, wasn't anywhere near 40mph but truly that wasnt what I was after.

The bad part was while on the main dirt road going out to the trails there is a few large hills, still nothing more then you would normally encounter on a road in a normal vehicle and in the south, but I was scared on one of them that we weren't going to make it up. I thought I was going to have to get out. The engine was at MAX rpm or atleast max throttle but we were crawling up the hill slowly.

Now I'm 200lbs and my son is around 50 so 250lbs+450lbs buggy is 700lbs and I know this is only a 150cc engine so I can understand the sluggish performance but truly I thought it would be much better then this? I only went on the beginner flat trails because I was terrified that trying to climb anything else and I wasn't going to make it.

Would a performance clutch help this out alot? How about a performance variator? I have the 11g rollers now but would a KOSO perf Varaitor with 9g rollers be much better? How about the clutch? Is the Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch the best and would it make things better?

My son has a Suzuki LT50 Fourwheeler and thats about the performance I'm getting out of this thing, I'm a 450R Motocross racer and I dont expect the same performance from a 150cc cart I would like to climb a dirt road hill without being scared I'm not gonna make it to the top.

Thanks guys! Doug

Last edited by Doug9044; 11-22-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Well, you could start out with what I started out getting, a 1500RPM main spring, 10g sliders, and an air performance pack #1. These parts alone significantly increased my low end power. My next mod will probably be a no rev CDI, than a performance exhaust (if my parents will let me). As for the performance clutch and the hit clutch, I don't know much about them.

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
1500 RPM main clutch spring
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshstep1 View Post
Well, you could start out with what I started out getting, a 1500RPM main spring, 10g sliders, and an air performance pack #1. These parts alone significantly increased my low end power. My next mod will probably be a no rev CDI, than a performance exhaust (if my parents will let me). As for the performance clutch and the hit clutch, I don't know much about them.
I have exactly that already, except I have the 11g sliders instead of the 10g's. Over on a different forum they said that a clutch would do wonders and I'm looking into a different one then the Dr pully because I hear they are coming apart very quickly.

Thanks Doug.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9044 View Post
I have exactly that already, except I have the 11g sliders instead of the 10g's. Over on a different forum they said that a clutch would do wonders and I'm looking into a different one then the Dr pully because I hear they are coming apart very quickly.

Thanks Doug.
There was a time about 1 year ago where the wholesaler was sending scooter-tuned Dr Pulley clutches to us buggy parts dealers. Some of these were installed and not properly tuned with the multiple included sets of springs or had some heat problems with the glue on the clutch pads.

Those problems have been long addressed, but some people who bought them and had problems received little to no support from the wholesaler and have been pretty vocal about it. Rightly so, when you're out a bunch of money, but the product is still an amazing clutch and all the ones we now have are made specifically for buggies.

You won't find a better clutch for your buggy. There are others out there, and many are very good clutches, but none as good as the Dr Pulley so far.

That said, Dr Pulley does command a premium price for that performance. The shorty and the Koso clutches are very good also and cost about $100 less.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributor

to get the most out of it you should look into either drilling some holes in the stock muffler a slip on muffler or a complete exhaust. what year is your buggy? some hh's had a 32 tooth sprocket, if you have that one then change it to a 39 tooth. also let the engine break in some.

A good clutch will let it hook up better, I like the koso clutches.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Administrator

How big a hill we talkin' here? I mean what angle do you think and how long of a section of road at that incline? I hate to say it but you might be happier in a 250.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM

I agree with buggymaster, about the 250 bit. Or maybe something bigger, like a YamaBuggy 400! OH YEAH!!!!

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
1500 RPM main clutch spring
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!