BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Lurker

Cool 150cc Carter Talon info?

We just got a 150cc Carter Talon. (for our 10 yr old son! haha)
Supposedly it sat for a year or two because the starter went out. (looks brand new!) We fixed that, replaced the accelorator cable, battery, electric choke...
So much fun in the snow on Christmas day, spent a full day riding several kids New Years eve, and then (small) rock climbing & mud riding for hours another day.
It runs great, in whatever gear its in, when the lever is pushed forward- but it doesnt go that fast.
We were told that it has 3 forward gears & reverse, that we should be changing the gears, etc.. but it seems to only have one gear & be automatic, with reverse.
It pulls better in reverse than forward- could it be stuck in a higher gear? Anyone here have a 2005 Talon?
Also the parts Ive ordered so far havent matched up exactly to the original Carter parts for it. Any suggestions on parts that will replace theirs?
We love this buggy! Any input would be SO appreciated.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Heavy Contributor

It doesn't have set gears and ratios, it has a continuosly variable transmission (CVT). In a CVT, a belt rides up and down pulleys based on torque and RPM. This change in pulley position, changes the drive ratio.

Reverse uses a sun gear and three planetaries that gives it a three to one reduction over forward.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Lurker

I kinda figured it was a cvt, that would be my next question.
So, if the drive belt is replaced, would this make it pull better?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

No, you want to replace the weights in the variator and the torque spring behind the clutch assembly. My preference is to use 12g slider weights with the red 2000 rpm spring. It will give you better downshifts when you let off the throttle and the lighter weights will keep the engine in peak power band better. After the CVT upgrades are completed, you should see a much more responsive transmission.

The engine should be allowed to breathe better. If you run a performance intake and exhaust, you will be able to make most hills.

If doing these upgrades (under $100) still doesn't impress you, swap the axle sprocket to a 39-tooth and add a couple of links to your chain.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Contributor

sounds like a gx150iir, they are geared high and to get more low end do what the others have said and you will be really surprised
Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Lurker

Thanks so much! We took it out again today.
We ride in an area that has red mud pits, trails through the woods, rocks to climb & hills to fly down or jump. 4 wheelers & dirt bikes have nothing on this buggy up there! haha
It has more power than I imagined it would, the way it is now. I cannot wait to upgrade. This seems to be more exciting to us than for our son...
Old 01-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Contributor

Old 01-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Lurker

Checking on ebay I find the 12g slider weights. Do we need just the set of 6? And how to go about changing those out?
I guess it will be more helpful when the time comes, huh.
The 2000 rpm spring make the buggy crawl in idle?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Heavy Contributor

SycArms or BigE can provide the sliders and spring for your buggy. The torque spring helps belt tension and downshifting. It does not change clutch engagement. I think you are referring to clutch arm springs...
Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Lurker

(Rachel) Yes, Im totally lost, we are both very new to this, but so dang interested!
Mike knows this stuff, I dont, so I am learning! Maybe I'll get to help upgrade! ha!
Does anyone know how easy the buggies are to roll? We push it a little more each time we take it out, and it hasnt yet attempted to flip.
My son is 10 & weighs nothing. He's rolled a 4 wheeler before, so I hope the buggy will be more safe for him, upgrade or not.
Oooh. Sorry if I offended anyone by checking ebay for the parts. Oops. I was price checking anyway & I will gladly purchase what we need from YOU.
Like I said, very new to the buggy, so please overlook my lack of understanding some things as well. We werent even sure we were driving it right, ok. ha!
What will it do with the bigger spring & sliders? Will it go faster or climb better..both? Im excited. For my son of course!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Heavy Contributor

You want to buy from someone that knows buggies. You will get poor or bad advise from drop shippers that never actually use the products they sell. I'm trying to save you from headaches of having to reorder or send things back due to poor seller knowledge.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Lurker

Absolutely. I appreciate that.
I ran onto that when buying my sons helmet, gloves, goggles, etc. for the buggy.
Too many ppl thinking they knew best, with very different advice. And still shipped the wrong items... but thats a live n learn, I guess. Good ole ebay.
Hopefully we'll get the 4-7 inches of snow predicted for us, how fun it will be!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

SNOW!!! time for some frozen fun-We're waiting for it too!!! You can roll ANY buggy. Your 10 yr old is the perfect age for testing the limitations of a buggy!!!!Assuming you're not already showing him how to push it while you're playing!!! By the way- We all shop E-bay,Craig'slist and other places like you did---price comparison.Usually when it's a lot cheaper than the other guy it's crap quality.Mechanical parts should always be bought from a vendor that's been around awhile and uses his own product.Welcome to the addiction.Post some video or pics of your fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Contributor

the 12 gram sliders and a red (2000) main spring will help alot on climbing and will reduce the top speed some. if yours is an 2005 model changing the axle sprocket to a 39 tooth will also help