BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:37 AM
Contributor

Default TAV2 Torque Converter slipper?

It's been a while! My spiderbox project is still in progress - I'm going through a divorce, it's in the garage without a rear axle. Rear bearings failed, I have all new replacement parts (including aluminum atv wheels), just need to weld up new hangers and get back riding.

Anyway, I've got a minibike that I put a TAV2 torque converter on for my 8 year old son to ride. When the clutch kicks in, the thing will literally flip backwards when the clutch engages. It is a 98cc wheelie machine even with 150lb me on it. I ordered different springs for the TAV2 so the engine engages very low in the RPM range which helped but it is still way too much. Any recommendations on how to minimize the take-off power/torque? I have a 212cc predator engine I can throw on it but it weighs a lot more than the stock 98cc so I was trying to avoid this.

Maybe go up some teeth on the drive sprocket? The sprockets aren't cheap so I figured I'd ask here first. I considered putting teflon/moly film on all the friction surfaces in the TAV2 but I haven't tried it yet. I figure it will wear off quickly and be a pain to maintain. Any thoughts or advice appreciated!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:48 AM
Contributor

Running out of time for him to try it out before he's off to his mom's for the weekend. I just ordered a 60T rear sprocket, I'm pretty sure the OEM one is 75T. OEM is 8.75" OD, the 60T is 7.25". If nothing, it will get the sprocket out the sand.

Hoping that making the gearing a lot taller will keep the thing from launching off the line so fast. We'll see.

Last edited by Pripyat; 03-26-2021 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Corrected oem sprocket teeth
Old 03-27-2021, 07:11 AM
Contributor

I was looking at the TAV2 manual and at engine engagement, ratio is 2.7:1 No wonder its got insane torque..

So I put on the 65T sprocket and it made the wheelies worse. Instead of a quick pop up and come right back down, it was just right to do looong wheelies. So i finished fabricating the 60T..

Severely ordered the wrong sprocket..

Warped a bit but I was able to beat it back out.

Had to drill the center out to 1.5"

Finished product.

Bike is sooo much more manageable off the line now. My son can finally ride the minibike with the TC without being terrified to get started going.

Last edited by Pripyat; 03-27-2021 at 11:55 AM.