BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Lurker

Exclamation NEED ADVICE :: Crossfire vs Yerf Dog vs Manco

I have an opportunity to buy either one of the five following go karts:

#1 ... Tomberlin Crossfire 150 ... http://imgur.com/Dv4jU (picture)
- runs well
- been kept in the garage
- seller is ASKING $650

#2 ... Yerf Dog ... 6.5hp 212cc ... http://imgur.com/wxZR1 (picture)
- Engine is new
- Shocks of front and rear
- New clutch system (Comet torque converter)
- Top speed of about 35mph.
- push-button kill switch
- seller is ASKING $550

#3 ... Yerf Dog ... 6.5 HP Tecumseh ... http://imgur.com/fJoh7 (picture)
- motor in good condition
- front and rear suspension
- adjustable seat
- live rear axle
- tires and paint are in good condition.
- cart has been stored inside
- seller is ASKING $550

#4 ... Manco (blue) ... 6.5hp 169cc ... http://imgur.com/teDmi (picture)
- 6.5HP Subaru engine w/new carb
- full suspension
- adjustable seat
- kill switch
- adjustable steering
- adjustable shocks
- cranks right away
- overall in good shape
- seller is ASKING $650

#5 Manco Magnum (red) ... 6.5hp ... http://imgur.com/PWo73 (picture)
- adjustable independant suspension on all four wheels,
- fresh paint job
- new front tires
- new rear axle bearing
- Comet Torq-A-Verter kit installed this past December
- seller is ASKING $600.00 obo

According to the sellers, all are in good working order - no work necessary.

I currently have a Crossfire I got from someone. However, the cart was not in working condition when I got it and I've not been able to get it running - it has many many problems. I had someone helping me with it, but at this point it's in pieces and there seems to be no end in sight. I'm ready to cut my losses and move on. (The person helping me has lost interest in working on it.)

So these are three that I've found ... I'd like some advice from those who are more familiar with these.

I have three kids. We have tons of room to drive it around. I like the large size of the Crossfire - they seem to be well built. However, parts for these appear to be hard to come by. From what I've heard, the Yerf Dog's are very easy to work on and find parts for. I don't know anything about the Manco brand.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Gregorama; 07-31-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

IMO-The Crossfire is NO DOUBT the best quality,durable and best priced one of the group.I don't know the age of your 3 kids-but this one will survive abuse much better and it has elctric start and will out drive all the others on any terrain. It has disk brake/brakes, rack & pinion steering, much better shocks, more comfortable seating, lighting, enclosed CVT for almost maintenance free transmission (reverse is available for this buggy if needed later on, not available for the others)
Your mis-fortune with the one you have shouldn't dull the shine off the one for sale. All the other karts are "wannabe Crossfire's!!!
#2.#3. Yerf 3203- is a good kart but has less than desireable steering geometry-extremely light with a long cockpit (great for a taller person)Pull start only
#4. Manco Silverfox- better built structurally (heavier tubing) than the Yerf's #3203, better steering geometry- pull start only
#5. Manco magnum- similar to the Yerf #3203

Did you post pic's of your other Crossfire for us to help you revive it to working condition? If nothing else- owning a running/functioning Crossfire will help you determine the needs of the trashed one or you'll have spare parts!!

Last edited by metalstudman1; 08-02-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Lurker

Thanks metalstudman1 for responding ...
Do you think the issue of parts availability (or lack there of) is a reason for concern with the Crossfire?
I will have some parts from the other one, but not sure how many of them will be useful.
Do you own a Crossfire? Is so, any suggestions on where to get parts?

Last edited by Gregorama; 07-31-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

I've owned all the karts you posted except the magnum- I own a Punisher (same as the Crossfire) I bought mine (trashed) for $250. Engine was cut out of the swingarm, no wiring harness, seats were beyond repair,no brakes, ect... I intended on a ATC 250cc powerplant and ended up with a ATV 200cc instead.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602 just to give you an idea.
We (wife & 2 kid's) drive very hard & regularly in wooded,hilly,semi-rough trails-- this buggy has had the least amount of repairs to it.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Power User

ditto the above. plus, if you pick up the crossfire you have one of two things, a parts cart for the new one, or a working version to study to help you get the non runner back in shape. for the price, the crossfire's the way to go.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Supporting Vendor

The crossfire would be the way to go. They ride great. Some parts can be difficult to locate but there out there.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Contributor

Is the Crossfire the buggy that ChuckOrlando used to have?He had it modded and called it a 180 so might want to check with him for parts advise. mancoman
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Contributor

Gregorama you asked for opinions of which is the best buggy to buy both on this forum and buggynews and opinions have been recomended.I agree with metalstudman1 the Crossfire would be your best bet with the Manco being the 2nd.Have you bought a buggy yet?Why do you not respond after asking for help and help was given.
mancoman
Old 08-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Administrator

No brainer, the crossfire is in a different class and will likely provide the most satisfaction.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Lurker

Hey ... sorry I haven't responded. I checked it the first few days, but didn't receive any notifications afterwards that others had responded.

Yes, I bought the Crossfire. It was not exactly as advertised. Overall it is in good condition, but there are some things that need to be fixed. I'm having a tough time finding the necessary parts. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

I brought the cart home (it was advertised as in great working condition - I did drive it around the seller's yard, but due to the limited space, couldn't test it very aggressively), checked fluid levels, put some crank case oil in it and immediately took my three kids for a ride (9, 6 and 5 years old). The Crossfire ran for a grand total of 15 minutes before the belt broke. The seller told me the belt was brand new. However, it appears to have been old. I took it to a mechanic friend and he found several things (rear clutch, o-rings in various places were bad, etc) that need to be replaced (I know this guy personally - he's trustworthy). My kids were pretty bummed out that their new toy only provided 15 minutes of fun. Stinks!

Last edited by Gregorama; 09-22-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Lurker

Thanks metalstudman1, x-bird, SYCARMS, mancoman, and BuggyMaster for your advise - I really appreciate it.

After hearing from all of you I felt far more comfortable with the Crossfire.
My wife wasn't as excited because of the size if the Crossfire, but .... lol. Obviously I bought it anyway.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Gregorama; 09-22-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Lurker

metalstudman1 ... the mods you made on your crossfire are really cool ... perhaps one day I will have the time (and expertise) to do the same type of thing.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 AM

Gregorama, if its a parts hunt ur on then Tom @ sycpowersports is the man to see! give him a call or drop him an email he will definitly go the extra mile for u! keepem rollin bear
Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Contributor

If Tom cant help ya look up kartmart. They use to keep the CF stuff. You made the right choice. In y opinion only one 150 I've ever seen is a better machine than the CF and thats the irs joyner 150. But that machine is almost non existant and truely a childs cart. Adults simply wont fit.

Manco I did'nt call it a 180. It was a 180. Bigger than 180 actualy with the stroker Tom Syc put in it. And yes, that 180 would and still will hand your manco250 it's a$$AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Lurker

Overall the engine appears to be in good shape.

I've located the belt (http://goo.gl/aatgf - I'm going with a Kevlar belt) as well as a rear/driven clutch (http://goo.gl/vGNY2). I'm having a more difficult time locating the left cover gasket (GK05884), o-ring (GK05880), exhaust pipe gasket (BF00011) and the brake pads (BB00035). I need to do some more searching online.

Thanks for the advice ... I'll try Tom at sycpowersports. I've looked at kartmart already, but didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Contributor

Tom will have the gasket and likely a pipe if you need it. The 150 engine parts are basicly universal. I would not buy a kevlar belt. You want the belt to be the weak link. If the belt dont break something far ore expensive will. The gasket for the cvt cover is not very important. If the little howit circle is rubbing the clutch without a gasket, do like I did and put a washer under the 3 bolts on that cover.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Lurker

I put an email into Tom at SYCPowersports ... should hear from him soon.

Here are the parts I'm looking for again:
GK05844 - left cover gasket - 1
GK05880 - oring - 1
GK05881 - rear clutch - 1
GK05882 - belt - 1
BB00035 - brake pads - 1 set
BF00011 - exhaust pipe gasket - 1

http://goo.gl/cEE6e ... Do you think this item for sale on Amazon would cover the gaskets I'm needing?

http://goo.gl/aatgf ... This link if for the belt. Does it matter which year vehicle the belt is for?

Still no luck for brake pads yet - I'm hoping Tom can help.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Contributor

The gaskets should work. Just have to be sure it's a short case set. If the belts for a short case then yea it will work. But again I would avoid the kevlar. Clutches, vari's and tranny gears cost way more than a 17 bucks.

The pads are the same as most other 150's.

I'm in Orlando. What part of Florida you in?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Lurker

I'm just north of Gainesville.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Contributor

My pops and sister live in liveoak area. They got about 6 buggies.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Lurker

FYI ... per bear's advice I've been working with Tom at SYCpowersports ... Tom is a great guy and extremely helpful - he really knows his stuff!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM

That'll work! keepem rollin