BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Contributor

Default revers assy help help help

im looking to add reverse on kids buggy and i have used the sun planetary gear box like BD sells and i use to break cable all the time so i found another possible solution maybe someone can help me on whether or not will work here is link
http://www.uscoolsports.com/reverse_...ear-700010.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEAR-700010-2S.jpg (17.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Power User

interesting. one issue i see is that the reverse assy. itself mounts on the wrong side sprocket-wise = possible chain alignment issue. otherwise the linkage idea is pretty sweet, you'd just have to extend the rod up to the seat area. the linkage alone with a buggy reverse box would need to have a horizontally mounted bellcrank on the box with a ball-ended rod going down in to the end of the shift fork. otherwise you'd still be relying on a short piece of cable with a ball end.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM

What part of the cable are you breaking? Are you lubing it?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Contributor

it would break by the reverse assy and then some times the shifter its self it would always break after thirty times maybe 20 but i libed it after every use and cleaning
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Got a pic of the cable you're using?

Is it the right one, or are you making aother cable work?

Are you lubing it prior to installation? spraying lube into one end until it comes out the other?

What are you using for lube?

Are you adjusting the cable properly?

Sorry for the Q's but your the first one I've seen that has broken numerous cables.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Contributor

OK i used mink oil to lube cable and no i don't have picture this was a buggy i had a few year ago and the new buggy does not have reverse and with so many problems on last one i don't want to deal with it again . adjusted like tutorials said completely tore apart the reverse ASSY and re greased now if there is proper way to adjust i would love to know i just don't want to spend 299 and have to replace cable every month ohhhh and cables were bought from buggy depot........
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Mink oil??? Never heard that one before.

Normally not good idea to use oils in dusty conditions. The dust clings to oil. I like to use graphite spray (dry lube)

Make sure to lube the cable prior to install. (hang up one end and spray until it drips out the bottom)

Those should be heavy duty cables from BD.

Did you follow the instructions listed on the BD site for adjustment?

Not too sure what the issue is then. Yeah the cables break, but I haven't heard of anyone breaking them repeatedly.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Contributor

mink oil is a water displacement lubricant i and very picky on oils and so fourth i am in the aviation industry so it isn't a problem with bind or seize of cable i just believe it is a crappy design easy and good for minimal use but get rid of cable and i am all for it OK well thank for all the info once i do purchase the one listed above i will keep everyone informed on installation and trial runs .
ohhh my buggy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggggggggy.jpg (82.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 AM
Contributor

Default more research

OK done some more research on reverse it is used on gy6/howhit motors and particularly Baja Reaction 150 here is link to PDF it is page 39 no compare the reverse i listed above and this reverse well they look identical

second and third opinions would be nice. here is the link::::
http://www.bajamotorsports.com/syste...REFIX_L6K_.pdf
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM

Default I agree!

I have 2 Dazon 150's with the external reverse assy. and the cables always seem to break at the end where the ball is! This happens on both ends although it seems to happen more on the end where the reverse assy. is more. Ive had these buggy's since June and have put 2 cables on and believe me I dont use reverse that much! mind you the cables that broke where both old cable that where on the buggy when I got it. The third one that broke in Oct. I just switched over my parking brake cable to use.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM

p.s nice looking yerfer!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Contributor

Bear:

yes that is where they always broke and two of my cables where brand new.... and not only that there is such a fine line between gooooooood and almosttttt goooood lol... well i am trying an alternative 300 plus dollars is a lot we need competition between that particular reverse to tonight later all
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM

How about a piece of all thread from front to back for the shifter rod?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM

also could u invert the mounting of it so it would shift from the bottum side instead of top?