BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-11-2018, 01:21 AM
Contributor

Default What to do with my GS Moon buggy 150?

So i picked up a GS Moon buggy 150 a year or so ago for 100 bucks with good seats and 4 like new tires and its been the the biggest pile of junk ive ever had but also the coolest pile of junk and i cant bring myself to sell it cause its so unique and the only one ive ever seen and the only 150cc ive ever seen with IRS from the factory.

The main issues being its direct drive with an open differential and its geared way to high and reverse is geared higher than forward :roll: It also has very little ground clearance ontop of being one wheel peel. So on the ground clearance note i added longer shocks and then on the first ride it pulled both inner joints apart #-o So hopefully i can fix that without to much fuss.

Some ideas ive been tossing around is to weld the spider gears to lock the rearend as its really not trail friendly as is but is still geared to high although i did put 12g sliders in it and that helped some. Ive also been thinking about how to convert it to chain drive using a HH250ss center section and cv axles. If i go through that process it would also get a 250cc or bigger motor on it. I would most likely have to cut and sleeve the HH250 axles and the factory axles together to get the right length.

It would be nice if i could find some gears to swap the factory ones with but thats unlikely. I may just start off with welding the spider gears and adjust the shocks down just a hair and put limiting straps on each trailing arm to prevent then from pulling apart again. I want to keep it and keep it usable but the low ground clearance and open diff are just show stoppers for where we ride.
HH250SS..RIP (IRS donor for the crossfire)
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Many other random parts buggys (still never have what im needing tho :/ )
Old 04-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Supporting Vendor

The biggest problem I found with the moon is the irs. The shaft drive robs so much HP as compared to the chain drive solid axles, and since it is the odd ball GY6 performance parts will not fit it. I've known several people who welded the rear end and it never lasted more than one season and parts for it will be impossible to find.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Contributor

I was going to ask if there was any performance parts for the 2 bolt gy6 ans i was also told to ask you about getting a lower gear set for the moon. I have a website bookmarked that has rear end parts but they would take forever to get here from overseas and i figured the rear might not last long locked.
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Contributor

Got both cv axles put back together now i just need gearing options.
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150