BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Contributor

Default Whats better a hammer head or a yerf dog spiderbox please help

Im looking to get a buggy I'm looking at a hammer head or a yerf dog spiderbox. I just want to know wich ones better. Please help!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- Spiderboxes require mod's and fabrication to make them function as well as a stock Hammerhead. The spiderbox is extremely light & simple making it popular for many of us (pretty cheap to buy too). Your skills,tools and the desire/passion to work on a buggy is also why many of us buy Spiderboxes. Price is always critical when making a choice on a used buggy. Hope this helps!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Contributor

Thanks that has helped I'm trading some stuff for a yerf dog spiderbox hopefully this week! It's all stock what kind of tires should I put on it?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Contributor

I also I'm wanting to know if any body knows how to get a title for one and if it's hard or easy to do
Old 08-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

22" works well in the rear- 19" or taller works well in the front. Never tried to title one so I can't help with that part.I know they don't have a VIN number.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Contributor

I saw a forum on here that the vin # is under the driver seat but if not ill have to buy one? Thanks for your help
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Power User

Titling depends on what state you're in, and which agency regulates them and as what they regulate them as.
To give you an idea of how much can be involved ....
In PA, registration and regulation is handled by the Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources. There are a lot of state land trails open to registered and insured ATVs--and only atvs or snowmobiles. Nothing else (go carts, dune buggies, golf carts etc. is allowed. For mini buggies like ours, it's a case-by-case review for registration and they are allowing them, typically only as a Class II ATV which is 50" wide or more or 1000 pounds or more-- There are also trails that Class I's (quads) can use and Class II can't. If you call them anything else, the DCNR won't touch them and you can't get them registered--No street legal mini buggies here. For the DCNR, they have to have a VIN or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. For the Div. of Motor vehicles, if there is no paper title, it's scrap unless you can get one legally issued by a third party.

I'm in the process of having the DCNR title, assign a VIN to mine (with my own company as the manufacturer--but it's been so heavily modified that the only original part is the floorpan sheetmetal and 4 pieces of tubing) and register it for use as a Class II. They've only done a No-paper VIN assignment like this once before, so i'm thanking my lucky stars that the gentleman in charge is open-minded. Then i have to sell it to myself with documentation of all the materials that went into it to set a price so they can earn some tax money. The police also have to inspect and sign off a VIN verification form that indicates it doesn't have one before the state assigns me one. It's a lot of work, and it took a lot of time to research and make sure everything is done correctly and in the correct order for it to work.

So all that said, start your search by typing in your state along with "ATV registration" and that should get you started. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Contributor

Thanks I live in az so I'll have to dOnresearch
Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Heavy Contributor

With Time and money the yerf wins! hands down! it can get through places a hammerhead can't. I think it has something to do with the wheel base, the yerfs front wheels are out in front and the hammerheads wheels are closer together.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
With Time and money the yerf wins! hands down! it can get through places a hammerhead can't. I think it has something to do with the wheel base, the yerfs front wheels are out in front and the hammerheads wheels are closer together.
I got to disagree with you on this one,T3. The fact that the hammerhead Front/rear wheel base IS closer together gives it the ability to cut a much sharper corner. The yerf in stock form has a terrible turn radius compared to most other brands.
In the comparison, if you want something to tinker and build from, if you enjoy fabricating, then the yerf is it.
If you want something to simply turn the key and go. You have neither the desire, time or equipment for fab work, a buggy that can be improved with some simple bolt on items with basic hand tools then it's the hammerhead.
On the other hand if you take the time to build up a yerf, it will run circles around a hammerhead.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Heavy Contributor

@ckau, not talking about turning, Yes, the yerf in stock form sucks at turning... Do the rack mod and your good to go (add reverse and your even better). I'm talking about the long travel of the front end, the ability to have a higher ride hight and climb better (as far as rocky terrain).
I didn't have time last night to right what I meant.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
@ckau, not talking about turning, Yes, the yerf in stock form sucks at turning... Do the rack mod and your good to go (add reverse and your even better). I'm talking about the long travel of the front end, the ability to have a higher ride hight and climb better (as far as rocky terrain).
I didn't have time last night to right what I meant.
My mistake, T3, Your right on about the suspinsion
Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Contributor

I might be getting a baja 150 are these good carts? It has a how hit gy6 just the yerfs
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Heavy Contributor

Baja buggies are good also, can you post a pic of the one you will be getting? Is it the Baja Reaction or the one that looks more like the Crossfire 150?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Contributor

It looks more like the crossfire with no lights but I can't get it because I'm 11 and can't get the money so in trying to trade a couple of things for one or sell a couple of things and it sucks because it was only 450
Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

oh, I didn't know you were only 11, can you handle a 150 size buggy? are you a big 11 or a small 11? you might have to step down to a 90 or 110cc size.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Contributor

I'm 5 foot some thing so is that big enough for one?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Make sure you get one with an adjustable driver seat. How much are you looking to spend? You also have to be able to fix it when it breaks, do you have someone to help with maintenance?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Contributor

My dad knows some one but if it's little things I know how to fix a little like I could do the seats and put new parts on it. I'm looking to trade my iPod touch and a mini projector for one but I found only 1 person with a spiderbox and my dad said it was a stupid trade all it needed was a new battery.

T