BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Default my new project hammerhead

just some pics of the day I bought her home

Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

Looks practically new! What's its history?
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 PM

The guy I bought it from says its a 2004, original owner but he had no paper work on it needs a little tlc
Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 PM

welded a little tab for my intake setup the stock airbox is pretty restrictive

Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 PM

now I can bolt it down every time no more stupid zip ties to hold it down.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 PM

no wonder why there was a grinding noise coming from the rear disc brake!, the mounting bolt for the rear caliper was completely missing making the caliper bracket grind against the disc. I took a bolt from the front caliper bracket and it was a perfect match! so I just ran to the hardware store and pick up some extra bolts.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 PM

well guys haven't posted on my new little project in a while so heres some updated with pics

empted the master cylinder and cleaned it out real good! yes I bleed all the calipers once I was done lol

new rear rotor put on the axle

new inline fuel filter

both new boots on

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 03-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 PM

right now the entire rear cargo rack is off, the middle roof roll bar, and both side shoulder bars are off getting sand blasted because there was to much rust for my liking I will be painting them black will take pics.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 PM

What a great score! Glad to see it coming along.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM

the front tires weren't holding air so I got new rims and tires for up front I need to get a pic of that also, and I have the correct size rear fenders coming, this week the sand blasting wil be done in a day or 2 so I should be able to paint the parts this weekend, this has turned into a much more expensive project then I thought, this is whats happens when u drive 2hrs and 20 mins each way and get stuck paying a little more then what u wanted for it but I wasn't going to go back empty handed and I know its super rare buggy and will be worth it in the end.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM

"Jman" is that a 150? I had no idea HH made a single 150! that is a good looking buggy, especially for the year! I'm a big fan of the singles they're a little lighter which naturally leads to better "out of the box" performance!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Yes its a 150cc gy6 thats why I drove that far to get it ive never seen one and now I have one lol, ive been basically just restoring it so far and cleaning it up.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Could I ask a favor? Could you take a measurement of the front spindles for me. I am curious if these can work in the Dazon I have. The front end looks identical, but I am told they are different lengths and the tie rod mounts are at a different angle. Also a couple pics looking straight down on the top of the spindle to get a relationship of axle to tie rod mount. Thanks.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Could I ask a favor? Could you take a measurement of the front spindles for me. I am curious if these can work in the Dazon I have. The front end looks identical, but I am told they are different lengths and the tie rod mounts are at a different angle. Also a couple pics looking straight down on the top of the spindle to get a relationship of axle to tie rod mount. Thanks.
No idea how close they are, but I have the arms and spindles from a Carter Talon that look very similar to these also.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM

so today I spent a lot of time putting the buggy back together, today was the first day I got to ride her. Let me say I love the single seater . the suspension isn't to bad def better then the yerf, and at least the seat has cushion so my a@@ and back don't hurt after every ride. the 3 mods I have is the hammerhead exhaust, and the r2c filter, 14gram sliders that's all I had in stock for rollers/sliders/ at first it seemed a little sluggish to me, top speed was 27mph. after riding for a good 15 min I smelt oil burning sure enough I pull over and leave her idling and man a decent amount of blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust, i shut her down and the exhaust had a decent amount of smoke still coming out but not blue after being shut off,I didn't see a single leak anywhere, so I start her right back after 15 minutes of letting her cool down and she wasn't smoking now. A little akward drove again hard for another 15 min no smoke coming from exhaust this time but I still smell oil burning. after that I figured hell I might as well try the clutch setup from the yerf, so on went the shorty clutch and a yellow tq spring. She felt a little quicker and just with that mod I gained 2mph on top end. top speed is now 29mph. I have a head that has bigger stainless steel valves, upgraded valve springs, so I might just port the manifold and put the head on it and see if I can get into the 30mph range which im sure I will. I might look into a piston rebuild kit or im thinking drive it for the rest of this summer with little mods and then once riding season is over send it to tom at syc for a complete rebuild. Just figure I share my 2 cents here that's all. Oh yeah forgot to mention I removed the parking brake setup.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 04-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 AM

That first ride with "new" improvements, is always awesome, isn't it! I'm really glad to hear everything went basically well for you!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM

bear I cant tell u how much I love this hammerhead lol, I might as well just ride it for the rest of the summer with some little improvements then once riding season is over have the whole thing rebuilt since it is from 2005
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 AM

well im out riding and as im coming out of a turn I hear snap! and the kart no longer engages into gear, she starts and runs perfect but wont go into gear now ? any suggetions
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM

tom was right on the $ belt was shredded into pieces original belt from 2005 lol
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM

so after cleaning up the cvt area and taking out the shredded belt parts I get everything back together and put some dr pulley 10 gram sliders in and a new exhaust gasket ring in because the stock one broke I gained another 1mph on top end lol I hit 30mph now. and def picked up on take off with the new sliders, so after an hr of fun riding and tons of full throttle runs im come to stop for about 15 seconds and all of sudden the buggy shuts off, ok no biggy go to start it back up nothing! I now no longer have power to the key switch, the headlights wont even come on with the key turned over 1 click, the starter solenoid had power to it with a volt meter tester and yes the battery has juice, I checked the fuse looked fine, but I had another fuse but didn't do anything. I took the ground wire off the cvt case and cleaned around that area and still nothing. I disconnected a decent amount of wires where the cdi is and cleaned out all the connections and put them back together and still nothing. I put her away for the day ill have to spend a weekend day on it to try to trouble shoot whats going on makes no sense that now I have no power at the key it doesn't crank or nothing and like I said I don't even have power to turn the lights on. I even tried the trick of bridging the starter solenoid with a screw driver and it didn't sprak the screw driver but that still doesn't explain why theres no power to the switch. little annyoned but this comes with the hobby
Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Welcome to my world "Jman"read my thread "The evil twin"! but other than that isn't the single seater bad-ss! IMO just wayyy more fun than the doubles!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Oh he'll yeah lol I really think I'm just going to sell the yerf I can't keep up with both I rather just stick with one and this one is definitely the one for me now I just have to fix it
Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 PM

Yep, yep, yep!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 AM

a little update so far last weekend I fix the electrical issue it was that wire connected to the fuse I made my own new wire with the connections and shrink wrapped the entire wire and used electric tape on the one end over kill yes but I don't want to be miles into the trails and have that wire short the entire buggy out again. That wire was also connected to the power wire so I cut them apart and make each there own connection rather then being combined just makes life easier for me. So after that she fired right up . So I take a little 30min buggy ride everything works great I come back to the garage check everything over the dam main power wire melted to the exhaust because the wire from the factory is so long and hangs lose! So I went even further cut back the power wire just so it has a little bit of slack and put a new connector with an insulated connector and while I was at it also did the ground wire also. On top of that my new sealed battery came so I out that in and everything is good.

heres the little short in the wire that caused no electric power

heres the trimming I did on the wires

and the new connectors I used makes for a good seal

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 05-03-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 PM

I love those heat shrink connectors, I try to keep at least a dozen on hand for things such as this. I have a similar problem on my Dazon, the positive wire has chafed a considerable amount on the plastic electrical box, so that will be one of many small changes coming up.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 PM

I'm hoping once I get past this weekend I can get started on the wiring on my blue buggy I know thats my issue, plus I've got a new sealed battery on its way!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Contributor

were are you getting the sealed batteries at?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Oh man, a single seater? That could be fun....

Only bad thing is, you can't scare the crap out of your passanger with that though.... (the look on their faces is priceless when you put it up on 2 wheels)

Looks like a nice score.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Heavy Contributor

SFORCES, I don't know bout him, but Amazon is a great deal! I got a 12v 10ah battery for $35...most other places would charge at least $50! Either way. Great deals to be had online...
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM

E-bay
Old 05-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFauxFox View Post
SFORCES, I don't know bout him, but Amazon is a great deal! I got a 12v 10ah battery for $35...most other places would charge at least $50! Either way. Great deals to be had online...
Wow that's ridiculous cheap lol, mine was $55 shipped to my door how many cca on your battery
Old 05-05-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
Oh man, a single seater? That could be fun....

Only bad thing is, you can't scare the crap out of your passanger with that though.... (the look on their faces is priceless when you put it up on 2 wheels)

Looks like a nice score.
Lol ur right about that but the single seater is just a better feel to me everyones different though
Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
Wow that's ridiculous cheap lol, mine was $55 shipped to my door how many cca on your battery
LOL it's not a "starter" battery so as I said it's just 12ah. So no rating on CCA... It's essentially what these things were shipped with, but higher A capacity
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Lol gotcha
Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 PM

so last week I rebuilt the top end of the engine, new jug, new jug gasket, new head gasket, new piston, rings, I have a better head for the engine but I wanted to see if there was any gain in performance first just with these new fresh parts because ive been getting people telling me I should be faster then what I am already and it did blow blue smoke and smelt like the engine was burning oil, so with that the entire engine came out and cleaned the case with the build.

entire magneto area was taken apart and cleaned

stock head sure does have some small valves and small ports compared to the performance head I have in storage

the old jug off and the gasket had a crack in it could of been the cause of power lose

the old piston had some score marks on it and the rings seemed to spin freely but didn't matter its in the garbage now lol

new jug

new rings and gaskets

there she is new parts in
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

Hooray! Let us know how it turns out, for a newbie like me, how hard do you think it would be to install a big-bore kit (just barely thinking about that prospect a long time from now)? It looks fairly simple to dive into this motor and I was wondering if it really was?
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM

wanted to mention my brother had come over this past Saturday and helped me put the engine back in, hook up all the wiring, we set the alignment on the front end, and so far it has 2 hrs of break in time with non detergent oil, with nothing over 15mph, that oil has been changed already so 2-3 more hrs of break in with a little more throttle, then il put a 10w40 regular conventional oil use that for 2-3 hrs of hard riding then a full synthetic air cooled 10w40 oil will used everytime. will keep it updated
Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Oh you're gonna love this one guys! so I ordered a 12v 7.5a 550cca battery of E--- & I got it in the mail today, so when I opened the box low and behold it's a #$%$#$%# powers wheel battery!!! I mean WTH!!! so needless to say, it's on its way back!!! and hopefully the right one is now on its way! GEEEEZZZZ
Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Oh you're gonna love this one guys! so I ordered a 12v 7.5a 550cca battery of E--- & I got it in the mail today, so when I opened the box low and behold it's a #$%$#$%# powers wheel battery!!! I mean WTH!!! so needless to say, it's on its way back!!! and hopefully the right one is now on its way! GEEEEZZZZ

lmfao bear that's funny but if it was on my end I would be pist, http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/scooter/ that's where I got my battery from awesome website gives u all the dimensions and ratings along with good pricing.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFauxFox View Post
Hooray! Let us know how it turns out, for a newbie like me, how hard do you think it would be to install a big-bore kit (just barely thinking about that prospect a long time from now)? It looks fairly simple to dive into this motor and I was wondering if it really was?

ahhh its hard to say u just have to know a decent amount to do the engine stuff, u cant big bore it unless u have the case machined which tom does at syc. I still have a brand new engine sitting in the box that has a big bore and a 2.2mm stroke, a-11 cam, and big valve ported head that is supposed to go into the yerf that whole project has been put way to the side since I got this hammerhead lol.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM

So is it safe to say you're kinda on a "single" minded mission right now!?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
So is it safe to say you're kinda on a "single" minded mission right now!?
Lol yes, ordered a new carb for it, a new seatbelt, and I have a new petcock for it just waiting to run out of gas in the tank. I really might just get the yerf all cleaned up and sell it
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM

I have to say, a coworker changed out the battery in his S2000 to a Ballistic brand battery, and it seems to be the way to go. Cut about 18lbs out of the car with just the battery swap. They are pretty well priced for what they are, and I have seen a few other people running them on ATV's and buggies. Best part is, it is dry cell, so you can mount it anywhere. I am seriously considering changing mine out in the Dazon, and when the bike battery eats it, it will get changed out as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Im hoping to get the second half break in this weekend :-), one thing I noticed with this buggy it takes a little to start up, I turn the key it runs and dies, turn the key again it runs and dies, by about the third time it starts up, and once its warm restart is no problem its done this since the day I got it.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Heavy Contributor

Sounds like my YD? I'm wondering if it's because of how the carb was tuned by the shop...they tuned it in the fall weather and it started up in 1/4 of a second, now I have to let it crank and crank and when it finally fires up, I cannot gas it or it'll die. I have to let it sit. Of course if I use carb cleaner it fires up no prob and I can rev it no prob...
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Same here I can't give it gas until it warms up a bit
Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Same on both my Dazons jman!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:34 PM

P.s. got my new sealed battery today (the right one) I love how small & light these bad boys are!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
P.s. got my new sealed battery today (the right one) I love how small & light these bad boys are!!!
lol wheres the pictures!!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM

sorry jman sometimes I get so excited about getting new "toys" I just jump in! but I'll see about that pic the battery is 4.8x2.8x3.8" and barely weighs 3#!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
sorry jman sometimes I get so excited about getting new "toys" I just jump in! but I'll see about that pic the battery is 4.8x2.8x3.8" and barely weighs 3#!
Im the same way I'm like a big kid
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM

I put a jell battery in my 150r crossfire and have had no trouble with it. I only paid like $28 including s&h for it, but can"t remember who I got it from.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 PM

im finally on the third cycle of break in, the first 2 oil changes where with non detergent oil, now im using a regular conventional 10w40 oil then after that is on to 10w40 air cooled synthetic oil , the top end rebuild was def worth it buggy no longer blows smoke nor smells like its burning oil, and no oil build up around the outside of the head from the old leak, doesn't seem like I gained any power though. I might just have to slap this performance head on.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:32 PM

so last night I bring the hammerhead into the shop (garage) and one thing led to another and before I knew it I had the entire top end off again lol, I installed my new head and ported the exhaust side really good to make it nice and smooth and left the intake side alone as it was already a big port compared to stock. Along with the a hand ported manifold and bam! all back together and let me say holy crap! 5mph gain in my short straight aways I cant do a top speed run because the last storm we had a lot of trees came down and next weekend il be cleaning up some trail spots. But this head and manifold brought this baby alive I still need more take off I have some 9 gram rollers I might give a shot and this is still with the stock cam. I did notice thought that the exhaust has a pooping sound coming out the tail I don't think 115 main jet is enough I might try a 120.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM

forgot to mention check out this stamping that was under the seat ! thought it was pretty cool

just put the engine back together and adjusted the valves

new seat belt in I love fits me perfect I bought nice cushion shoulder pads in just plan black for around the straps

a shot of her in my trails I know I got to put the front fenders back on lol
Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 PM

so ive been enjoying my new engine a lot with that said I decided to put in a koso variator kit with stock 14 gram rollers and these is what happened within about 4 hrs of riding total

they all had some pretty bad flat spots

ive never had a variator chew itself up but this one did and it seemed to smack the cvt cover a little bit also

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 PM

so today I did another oil change, changed out the gear fluid and actually thank god I did the gasket was toast already and leaking from the bottom good thing I had a spare, mounted the vapor trail tech, put the front fenders back on, I put the stock variator style back in with 16 gram rollers. Im probally going to order 17gram sliders and see how that does, after that if I still need a little top end il look into changing the final gearing.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:27 PM

Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Looks great!! Great job !
Why not go a little lighter on the sliders? Since you are looking for some more take off.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
Looks great!! Great job !
Why not go a little lighter on the sliders? Since you are looking for some more take off.
This thing is already so quick off the line im looking for more top end it gets up to speed very quick im so mad at my self for not counting the final drive gears when I was just in there. With the new engine and gearing I can do donuts easy, and power sliding threw turns is an easy task lol.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 07-06-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:19 AM

Really a good looking buggy, but something is missing!?, oh yea get some mud on it man!!! lol luv them singles!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Really a good looking buggy, but something is missing!?, oh yea get some mud on it man!!! lol luv them singles!
lol that's why when I saw this one had mud flaps on all 4 corners I was like that's a score

Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM

If you are looking for top end gains, then lighter rollers/sliders are generally recommended over changing the final drive ratio. It is still a balancing act between what you gain there and lose somewhere else

Old 07-06-2014, 02:29 PM

Mud flaps! we don't need no stinkin' mud flaps!!! but it wouldn't hurt!!! lol
Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM

well im out riding it and 3 full throttle runs and looks like shes done. Oil shot everywhere on the flywheel side and out the valve cover it was running fine the past 2 days now I think it blew up

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
If you are looking for top end gains, then lighter rollers/sliders are generally recommended over changing the final drive ratio. It is still a balancing act between what you gain there and lose somewhere else
the lighter rollers/sliders will decrease top end not gain u got it backwards

Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 PM

Hammerhead single seater should be back to life by the end of next week. got some parts coming for it and have some plans for the rear cargo rack

Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Contributor

Since I gave you the motor specs that I used maybe it wont blow up again !Maybe
Dazon 150 single Mods ...Uni-Filter, 30 mm Kiehin pumper carb, FMF power pipe, 30 mm Intake pipe, Hi Rev CDI, Orange HV coil, 10,000 rpm Tiny Tach,Works Performace Shocks 12" F Blaster 14" R . Pearl Perf Ceramic 13.5 rollers, Gates Power Belt,Kenda Claws F&R
Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
That has nothing to do with it, I had to order a battery and a transmission case with bearings, and I have to put a head on it, which the head I already have, it already has the new piston and rings in it, that i put in as seen in pics!! the engine that blew up was that big bore stroker!!! So what ever (engine specs) u sent me meant nothing to me!!!

Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
The only thing I was curious about ur engine was what kind of piston and rings u used, which i asked about, when u sell any kind of engine specs should be presented so people know what there buying!

Old 10-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Contributor

Quote:
well im out riding it and 3 full throttle runs and looks like shes done. Oil shot everywhere on the flywheel side and out the valve cover it was running fine the past 2 days now I think it blew up
So this was the big bore stroker that blew up .What caused it to blow up ? Sounds like not having the right crankcase pressure venting.

Just sayin...My Mustang is faster than yours too. I built that motor too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (88.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (95.0 KB, 21 views)
Dazon 150 single Mods ...Uni-Filter, 30 mm Kiehin pumper carb, FMF power pipe, 30 mm Intake pipe, Hi Rev CDI, Orange HV coil, 10,000 rpm Tiny Tach,Works Performace Shocks 12" F Blaster 14" R . Pearl Perf Ceramic 13.5 rollers, Gates Power Belt,Kenda Claws F&R

Last edited by rich1; 10-25-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Bring that 32 valve Mach 1 out so I can stomp all over it with a 2 valve oh wait I'm sorry u built urs? I should be scared then right?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Power User

meh .. PMD SD FTW ... oh wait, this is a buggy forum, not the place for a former Must. mag editor to bash on mustangs~!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
meh .. PMD SD FTW ... oh wait, this is a buggy forum, not the place for a former Must. mag editor to bash on mustangs~!
Lmao yeah, rich get back on track

Old 10-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Bring that 32 valve Mach 1 out so I can stomp all over it with a 2 valve oh wait I'm sorry u built urs? I should be scared then right?
As long as YOU didn't build your 2 valve you might stand a chance.

Last edited by rich1; 10-27-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Contributor

Quote:
meh .. PMD SD FTW ... oh wait, this is a buggy forum, not the place for a " FORMER" Must. mag editor to bash on mustangs~!
FIXED !!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:25 PM

I got lost here, what the hell is fixed? lol
Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 PM

i don't know that's a good question. But i did work on the hammerhead today

Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 PM

so today i got some work done on the cargo rack notice anything ? lol

i mainly did it to give it a cleaner look and im so glad i did!! looks cleaner without the cargo walls along the sides i sanded everything down nice and smooth. Stinks i already had this cargo rack sand blasted and painted but i plan on sand blasting it again and painting it with bed liner because i took the chain saw threw the trails with it and it scratched the paint up here and there. I will no longer use rustoleum paint its very cheap for a reason and not thrilled with the quality of it.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 PM

i was thinking of cutting of the tow ball off also what u guys think ?

Old 10-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Power User

if you don't use it, it's just excess weight ... chop chop ...
Old 10-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Power User

"FORMER" in caps ... heh ... got tired of looking at and writing about 10 billion true street 5.0s and mod motor class stangs. "got an e-303 cam, roller rockers, twisted wedge heads stroked to 347 ... "
Old 10-29-2014, 04:31 PM

I wouldn't cut the hitch off, it doesn't weigh that much. you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
if you don't use it, it's just excess weight ... chop chop ...
yeah its probally a good 5 pounds never used it and never needed it on the yerf all these years, I was even thinking of cutting the 2 thin bars on the rear bottom of the swing arm I don't think they are there for support but where there for holding plastic stuff

Old 10-29-2014, 04:46 PM

check out what my ups man brought me

1.3 pounds!!! yes u read that right lol. 135cca amps should be plenty of juice since the I remember the stock yerfs batteries where I believe only 50 cca amps. But this little bad boy is going on the hammerhead to save some weight. Its a lithium battery so should last a very long time.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Heavy Contributor

I've heard stories of lithium batteries in motorcycles bursting into flame. If they get low they short internally.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:47 PM

I've heard of some stories also but in my r/c cars I use lips also and never had a problem

Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

In rc cars you always disconnect your battery when you're not using it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
In rc cars you always disconnect your battery when you're not using it.
Yes I do

Old 10-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I've heard stories of lithium batteries in motorcycles bursting into flame. If they get low they short internally.
I was thinking how long where they sitting for?? Because they have to sit for a decent amount of time. Now I'm a little scared.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Heavy Contributor

If the charging system stops working how long would it take to drain the battery? I would make sure I had a gauge and probably a quick disconnect for when the buggy isn't being used.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 PM

I was reading there website they where saying it can be stored up to a year for it to start draining. The only thing I have extra hooked up to the battery is my trail tech which I haven't even used yet but the trail tech also has its own battery so il just take it off so there's no draw on the battery.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 10-30-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Those stories are true ! Info from our family owned Honda M/C Dealership using YUSA manufactured smart chargers....
WARNING....
Li- ion batteries are very unstable while charging , they do not like to be overcharged ...threshold voltage is 4.30 / cell or undercharged...less than 25 % ....The per cell temps should never exceed 90c or (194f).
No trickle charger should be used since Li-ion is unable to absorb an overcharge and causes cells to become unstable. A special volt / temp limiting charger must be used and should never be used below freezing temps.

Makita tools uses this type of charger for its batteries and has a fan to regulate charging temps.
I would say limited use ,like racing, but not long term(everyday) without caution.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 PM

Yeah i saw I need to buy a charger designed for it. Can't use a regular battery charger. I'm a little scared but it would have to sit for around 2 months like I stated for volt drop. During winter I keep my batteries I side the garage because the buggies sit. U guys really got me second guessing this new toy I got.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Contributor

Quote:
If the charging system stops working how long would it take to drain the battery? I would make sure I had a gauge and probably a quick disconnect for when the buggy isn't being used.
In reality if a battery is not charging , then its discharging.... never in a steady state since its a chemical reaction between the plates.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
In reality if a battery is not charging , then its discharging.... never in a steady state since its a chemical reaction between the plates.
Agreed, although there are no plates in a lipo battery it is still a chemical reaction.
But what I meant was, how long would it take a running buggy to drain the battery if the charging system died?

I know they will hold a charge on the shelf for a good long time but if your regulator or your stator take a crap then you will drain the battery to a point that is below the recommended storage charge.

Last edited by liduno; 10-30-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:44 AM

i read tons of reviews of the specific brand battery I bought there wasn't any claims yet of it exploding or catching on fire. Guys are posting reviews leaving it on the shelf for up to 10 months and putting it right into there motorcycle and starting up. One guy even left it in the motorcycle for 8 months and said it started right up. The battery I also bought is a lithium iron not ion.

some info on it
Lithium Iron Phosphate will become the preferred battery technology for traction purposes and other situations in which high discharge characteristics and cycle life are important. Lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are based on the original lithium-ion chemistry, but LiFePO4 is used as the cathode material instead of lithium cobalt dioxide (LiCoO2). The latter is found in the most commonly used batteries in laptops, cell phones, MP3 players, etc.

LiFePO4 is an intrinsically safer cathode material than LiCoO2 since exothermic reactions cannot occur in batteries based on this material: LiFePO4 cells do not incinerate or explode under extreme conditions. In addition, LiFePO4 cells have a higher discharge current, are not toxic and have a much higher cycle life than LiCoO2 cells.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Heavy Contributor

Ignore every thing I said then..lol I thought it was a lipo.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Ignore every thing I said then..lol I thought it was a lipo.
lol it is a lipo but its a lipo iron not ion as I stated above. Ive done a lot of research and not afraid to use it.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM

Dude, why take the chance?

Just send that thing to me to be safe......
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........