BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Contributor

Wink EcoTron EFI & Turbo Kits

Anybody brave enough to try either the EFI or Turbo Kit.

These guys seem pretty organized.

http://www.ecotrons.com/

EFI Kits: http://www.ecotrons.com/Small_Engine_EFI_PNP_kit.html

Can't say I'm not interested.
Dr. Pulley variator, 10g sliders, 1500 rpm clutch spring, 39T drive sprocket, A12 camshaft, Intake with Uni Filter, 126 main jet, 38 pilot, performance CDI, performance coil, iridium plug. Now a lean wheel spinnin' machine.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM

What would be the performance difference between EFI and carb?

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
1500 RPM main clutch spring
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Efficiency and fuel mapping. EFI, to me is easier to manage, but the simplicity of a carb out weighs almost any small engine EFI. If I am not mistaken, the EFI was designed to work in conjunction with the turbo kit, which would aid in mapping the correct fuel curve through the entire RPM range. Also, with EFI, you don't have to buy new jets for every engine mod, if you have a decent range injector. All you would need to do is plug your pc into the control module, and adjust the duration(how long the injector is open) and be done.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Contributor

Masteryota pretty much said it all. There is power to be gained using an efi kit in cunjuction with all the other mods. Best thing about it is ability to change the fuel mapping. Depending on the type of riding you do, you can set the mapping to suit.
Dr. Pulley variator, 10g sliders, 1500 rpm clutch spring, 39T drive sprocket, A12 camshaft, Intake with Uni Filter, 126 main jet, 38 pilot, performance CDI, performance coil, iridium plug. Now a lean wheel spinnin' machine.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:35 PM

Like I said, to me it is easier to understand and manage the EFI system. I am fluent in all the popular management types, and see no other real way to run an engine for proper efficiency and longevity of internals, but a properly jetted carb is so much simpler, and in most cases, the carb will respond faster in highly modded engines. I have also done some research into the small engine turbo kits, and with the proper size, the carb can also be used in conjunction with the turbo.

I had thought about a similar turbo for my yerf/honda build, but I think a bigger engine would be a better investment on my side. There also has been at least one buggy user that tried a turbo, but the 150 did not produce enough exhaust to spool the turbine to its full potential. If memory serves correctly, he was only able to get around 5 psi of boost.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Contributor

Agreed. I don't think these little engines could sustain a turbo and be reliable. As a hobby, I would think putting an EFI in would be a great way to tinker further with these little power plants. I'm still on the fence. The price to enjoyment ratio is a bit off for my liking.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM

In reality, the only thing you would really need is a forged piston to handle the boost, but I doubt you will see enough boost to offset the initial investment. Not to mention the weight and plumbing needed for oil lines, oil coolers, intake tubes, exhaust pipe, and so on. The kit I was looking into was ~$300, but add in all the other stuff, it would likely set you back close to $500. I can pick up a lager quad engine, or street bike engine for about the same, and have reliable power that requires minimal maint and tinkering.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

The turbo's will work on the GY6. How much more power I cannot say. I do know however the injection was designed to be used with the turbo. The GY6 will handle a turbo, but with any tubo engine you want to run lower comp. ratio.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 10-17-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: adding content