BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Questions about starting an older GY6

1. Do I have to install the fuel tank/luggage rack assembly and attach fuel line/vacuum line to the carb before testing for spark and ignition? It hasn't run in several years.

After some minor repairs on damaged wires, cleaning the varnish out of the carb and installing the new battery, I found the ignition key and starter motor operate very well; with no spark plug installed, the engine spins freely. When I can get SWMBO out in the shop with me to operate the ignition key, I want to check for spark, and then would like to spray fuel into the intake to see if the engine will fire. The machine is supported on jack stands, and the tires, wheels and drive chain are removed. I'm just not sure about those fuel delivery and vacuum hoses from the fuel tank, and if the engine will fire with those hoses disconnected. The electrical wires from the choke mechanism are connected.

2. I tried to determine if there is any grease/fluid in the external reverse but could find nothing by probing with a small plastic tube, in either the fill or drain port. I bought some appropriate grease in a squeeze tube, and wonder how much to install in the reverse mechanism.

3. I think this is a machine made by Blade; where can I locate a complete wiring diagram, including speedometer and other miscellaneous components? There are a couple of disconnected wires and one two wire plug in the harness that I cannot find the other end of.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Power User

You should be able to fire it for a test run by plumbing a fuel source to the carb fuel line. I just did the same with a carter 150, i didn't have the choke wires or vacuum lines hooked up. Just gave it some juice and cranked it. fired right up.

I was curious about the threaded holes in the reverse gearbox. I think they're really just to hold a plastic cover in place. to properly clean/grease it, it needs to be removed. (Disconnect the cable --a little circlip under the cable housing end-- and the nut on end of shaft) and it all slides apart.

As far as wiring goes, best bet is to search the internet with the model number. "Blade xxx model service manual" should get you a .pdf file for it.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Lite Contributor

Thank you for your response. I tried it by just squirting gas through the air filter box directly into the cab; it fired right up! Tomorrow, I'll have help and install the fuel tank and luggage rack assembly, and the two lines from the tank to the carb. I still don't know if the vacuum system for the fuel tank will work - I applied vacuum [by mouth] to the vacuum hose but no fuel came out of the fuel line. We'll see.

It looks like the reverse mechanism has a fill plug and a drain plug; there is no obvious attachment for a plastic cover. And the operating cable doesn't have a circlip, it is attached with a lock nut. I think I'm supposed to put in some grease from a squeeze tube, but I have no clue as to how much.

I can find absolutely nothing identifying the make of this machine; the model number was stamped into the 'paint' coating on a frame cross member under the passenger seat, but it was partially peeled off and unidentifiable. I am assuming it is a Blade product, but can't guarantee that. I'll do some more searching.

Thank you again
Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Power User

NP, take and post some pictures of it, someone here should be able to figure out the model.