BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Lurker

Default Picked up a Kart...Motor questions

I also posted on another forum and hoping you guys can help too. I hoping you guys can lead me in a good direction. I'm on my 3rd upgraded Go Kart with my son. The first one was a basic kart with a 5HP no shocks and small tires. Second is a Yerf dog with front suspension. We built rear suspension and added electric start with lights to it. The one I picked up is a Carter 2 seater with a GY6, Full suspension, disk brakes, 150cc engine. I picked up the Kart for $200 so I couldn't go wrong. The problem is the person before me took apart the case where the stator and starter gear is. So now theres no bolts, flywheel, plastic covers, stator, ect....I added up all the parts I need and it will be cheaper to buy a new motor... NOW....I've been looking. The one I need is a short housing. I found some on Ebay for $300 shipped WITH a carb and electronics. Then they range on other sites for $350 WITHOUT a carb plus shipping. What are the differences???? How do I know ones better than the other? Can anyone here steer me in a good direction for a good motor?Thank you...
Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Well...here's what I would do....

Look for one that has been wrecked or find one that is in bad physical shape but may have a good engine. Or, one that is in real bad shape that has all of the other parts that you need for yours.

One of the things you need to pay attention to if you go the route of buying on ebay is the reverse assembly. American Sportworks machines and a couple of others use an internal reverse where as many of the others use an external reverse. Make sure that you get an engine that matches in that regard. Otherwise things could be tough to line up.

Check with Tom at SYC PowerSports (banner at top of this page) and tell him what you need. Generally speaking these parts are all pretty cheap unless you get them from one of the suppliers that is price gouging.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

I can't see it costing the price of an engine for the parts you need. That is a good engine with a solid case,some even come with an oil cooler on them. Do you know how old the buggy is? You can give me a call and I can get you a price on what you will need. I will need more info as to what stator you had in the motor, but we'll get you up and running. 662-301-1563

TOM
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Lurker

Ill give you a call later. I really don't know the internal cond of the engine. Ill call in a bit. Thanks.