BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Lurker

Default random connector

So in an attempt at still getting my carter talon gy6 to start i was looking around becuase whatever it is has to be an electrical issue at this point and i found this

what should this be connected to? it runs with a big group of wires up to the ignition in the front of the cart, i would imagine it has to connect to something
Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

Probably an extra plug for some acessory available on some models. Couldn't tell, what color are the wires going to the plug?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Lurker

They brown, green with a yellow stripe and green with a white stripe. The 3 wired coming from that plug lead through the main wire harness going to the front ignition panel where the headlight switch is and engine stop switch
Old 04-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Supporting Vendor

Those wire colors and plug match identically with the plug and wires that go to my break/tail light. It will have nothing to do with it not running with the exception of if your buggy has or had a break safety switch which I have never encountered a Carter with that setup.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Lurker

Hmmmm. Well there is no brake light on this buggy, although it is possible that it may have been removed by the previous owner. What exactly is a brake safety switch
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

Not all had come with brake/tail lights, but since the harnesses are universal the plug will be their. On the newer buggies there will be several empty plugs on the economy buggies for accy's like turn signals aux. lights, fuel gauge ect. Every schematic of the Carter,Hammerhead,Kinroad,Blade that I have don't show a brake light but a safety switch. However they all had the brake light and no safety switch. Weather equipted with a safety or brake light it will use the same pressure switch. The switch will be on the Master cylinder and have two wires going to it. The switch as I said will either function as a safety switch which will require you to depress the brake pedal to start or it will act as a break light. I have never seen one operate as both and don't think it is possible to. If you have the switch on the master cyl with 2 wires going to it, try depressing the brake to start. If still no spark then try to jump across both terminals of the switch and try. If there is a switch but no wires there should be 2 wires in the general area that may have been jumped together, check to make sure they make good connection. If connected and buggy won't start when pedal is depressed but will when wires are jumped, the switch is bad. You can either replace the switch or just jump the wires to start.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Lurker

Well I have come across a new discovery while trying to start it. I pulled the spark plug out with the wire and touched it to the frame. And if I try to start it there is no spark. Then I tried to start it while pressing the kill switch and still no spark. Then I tried again to start but this time I was pumping the kill switch switch with my finger and the spark plug was getting spark. Any idea to cause of this? Could I just jump the kill switch to bypass it?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sounds like a bad switch. Disconnect the wires from switch then try. Jumping the kill switch wires will ground out the ignition.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Contributor

I have a 2012 TM150 with the same looking plug. There is also a plaine green wire with thescrew down coonnector on the end. But idk what they go to
Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

If it doesn't show it in the schematic then you will need to trace to find if it is an acessory (ign. on) or a live feed. Sometimes the wires will be dead. Today the mfg's will use one wire loom which depending on the model might have extra wires. They could be used for a number of options eg. fuel gauge, turn signals ect. This is the same as todays modern cars and trucks. If you look under the dash you might find several or just a few unconnected wires for various options offered but not found on that vehicle. If the plug and wire colors are the same as the prev pic posted they are for some type of lighting.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 12-25-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add content