BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Lurker

Default Speed Mobile Help/Info???

Just checking to see if anyone could give some info, or suggestions with a go-kart I recently "inherited". Just trying to find a couple websites where collectors have pictures and insight posted.
My mother-in-law has a late 50's-early 60's go-kart made by Hedstrom that she has had since she was a little girl, she’s now 65yrs old. It’s been handed around her family a few times and is now sitting in a basement for the last 35+ years and hasn’t moved. Instead of throwing it away I figured I'd try my luck with cleaning it up and possibly selling it. I'm not sure if someone would like to collect a go-kart like this, I’m new to the gokart community.
It’s been in her family for a long time and I’m not too sure if she will want to part with it.

It’s a gas powered Hedstrom Speed Mobile with solid rubber wheels, approx 1" wide. Not sure of the engine size.

I looked through the web and couldnt find any details or pictures on this kart, so I figured I’d give this forum a shot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 001.jpg (95.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 002.jpg (93.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 004.jpg (94.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 006.jpg (96.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 007.jpg (97.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 009.jpg (96.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 010.jpg (96.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg HedstromSpeedMobile 011.jpg (95.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome-Neat looking kart- I've never seen one like it, not even as a kid. Amazing how simple everything is on that kart.I love the handle for the belt engagemnet. Have you tried to start it?- Must of had to be fairly wealthy back then to own one!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

man I bet you back in the day that was a heck of a great thing to have
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Lurker

She did say they were the talk of their road. Ive put in approx 3 hours of searching online and cant find an article or pic of them.

I havent tried starting it yet. I just got the pictures so far. Once I get to visit I will give it a shot starting it.

If you happen to find anything please let me know. Thanks for the responses and Ill let you know once I get my hands on it....hah
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Lurker

Default speed mobile

I am new to Buggy Masters and your post is old so you may not need the info but I received one of these in 1959 for Christmas. My dad bought it at a local Western Auto. I thought I was hot stuff in the neighborhood. About a year later my grandfather swapped the engine for a Clinton engine he got from a guy that raced go Karts. I would haull b__t however those hard rubber tires go eaten up every few weeks. Seeing your pics brought back a lot of good memories of those days and my Dad.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Lurker

Looks like a nice piece of lawn decoration, not sure I would even ride it or even let my kid ride it, dosent look too safe, put it on craigslist and you might find a collector that has been looking for one. I cant even find parts for my 2005 sunl buggy, so I don't think youll find parts for it. Cool piece just too hang in your garage or shop that's what I would do
Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Lurker

fun looking kart,with a small motor would be good to just put around.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Lurker

I see this is an old post but i just acquired a 1959 Hedstrom Speed Mobile. I never saw one before and I searched for pictures and info and ended up here. From the pictures above from Arcadian, there’s a couple differences. I know he said about the motor so im figuring thats why he has a chain drive. Well here’s mine for you to see. Would anyone know how much it is worth in this condition? I want to keep it all original and hang it in my garage/mancave. Im not interested in selling it, just curious of it’s worth. Great conversation piece. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA2C1EFC-0A2E-48D4-A310-E90A77A7218B.jpg (20.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FAFFED58-0024-4639-80D7-014E11345FDA.jpg (20.3 KB, 6 views)