BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Lurker

Default Kandi 150cc performance

Hey guys I have a kandi buggy with a 1p57qmj. I got it bellowing smoke so after a ton of research I bought a jug and piston. Well in my typical fashion I ordered the wrong one so I was only able to use the piston. I put it all together set the valves and ended up with 150 psi. Id like more but I guess that's what I get for ordering the wrong jug. I also bought new 10g rollers and a yellow spring because the original rollers were trashed.

Now that you have a back story on to my questions. I am somewhat disappointed in the performance of this buggy. It pulls off the line ok nothing special it doesnt even come close to spinning tires. If I put it against a 7" curb it goes over but it definitely has to wind up for a second before hopping it. I took it onto a flat road and and it seemed to accelerate pretty well and then it just hit a wall at 28 and that was it. It wasnt even close to rev limiter it was like it either ran out of power or ran into a cvt issue. So is their an issue with my buggy or is all of that normal.

I would love to get it to go 40 but I dont know if thats even possible with the gy6. I was also having trouble finding parts for my motor my head is heli coiled but a replacement head seems hard to come by and because I have a P im not sure what cam I could use.

Anyway I rambled enough so basically I am just looking to find out if my setup seems to be running ok and what options do I have and what can I expect out of it.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Lite Contributor

I had similar issues with my used and abused 150cc Baja Reaction I bought. Brought it home dead, got it running, smoked and had lacklustre power. I found cracks in the block, valve adjuster rods in the oil sump, a badly scuffed piston that was also seized on the wrist pin- and it ran like that for an hour!! After I rebuilt the whole engine it ran waaaay better. It's a 170cc now and way faster than what I started with.

You really need to get the engine up to snuff. If your going to buy a new jug buy the biggest kit you can. The larger displacement Big Bore Kits (BBK) require machining out the engine case/block to allow the cylinder sleeve to fit into the block. Your talking full on tear down and rebuild then.

There are smaller BBK's that do not require case boring, and those can be installed without totally dismantling the whole engine. You could install this option in a couple hours depending on your skill level.

IMO unless the motors not working decently it's not worth tuning the clutch or variator yet.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Lite Contributor

Found a kit on EBay. You gain cc without having to bore/machine the case:

TOP END KIT 58.5mm 160cc FOR 1P52QMI 1P57QMJ LIFAN KYMCO AGILITY 125CC

Hope this helps
Old 11-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Lurker

Thank you for the info it is appreciated. I am not sure the motor isn't running pretty well to begin with. It no longer smokes it sounds good its 150 psi which isn't amazing but its not bad either. I will definitely check out that bbk.

What kind of top speed do you see from your buggy and how much does it weight?
Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Lite Contributor

I don't have a speedo, and never bothered measuring with GPS. I'll have to try that next time. Have some starting issues, but I think the BBK kit killed my stock starter as the engine is much harder to turn over since the rebuild, as I heard is common with a BBK. Got a new NIBBI hi-torque one on my workbench waiting to be installed.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Lite Contributor

I also purchased a used kandi and the motor was beat up pretty good and smoking. i ended up getting the 58.5 big boar kit with the new head as well. took some time to get it just right but runs well now. I also did new rollers and a yellow spring. i also added a kevlar belt as the belt blew up soon after the upgrades. But as of right now it runs well and the kids love the buggy. Don't rush it take your time and it will come together the gy6 is a pretty simple motor to work on.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeBoxLen View Post
I also purchased a used kandi and the motor was beat up pretty good and smoking. i ended up getting the 58.5 big boar kit with the new head as well. took some time to get it just right but runs well now. I also did new rollers and a yellow spring. i also added a kevlar belt as the belt blew up soon after the upgrades. But as of right now it runs well and the kids love the buggy. Don't rush it take your time and it will come together the gy6 is a pretty simple motor to work on.
Where did you find a head? It seems like the P heads are hard to come by.
I am thinking I am done with the gy6. My friend got one when I got mine his was in better shape his tops at 34 with some tuning I got mine to 31. To me thats way to slow for a buggy like this and I dont see any reasonable way to get any real power out of a gy6. Where I ride their are long hills that really slow down the 250 quads to under 15 mph so I dont even know if this heavy beast with a 150 could make it up.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Lite Contributor

mine wasnt ported was a full kit on ebay I posted a link to the kit I purchased its on the forum just search on my name it should not be hard to find. The seller has been used by many folks on here..
Old 11-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeBoxLen View Post
mine wasnt ported was a full kit on ebay I posted a link to the kit I purchased its on the forum just search on my name it should not be hard to find. The seller has been used by many folks on here..
Thanks for the info. Looks like your buggy uses a different motor than mine. When I said P I mean P is in my engine code it doesnt have anything to do with porting. My head is a little different than yours so I cant use most of the kits available.