BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Predator 420 on a Spiderbox???

I have been lurking around on the net to see a successful install of a 13hp Predator 420 on a Yerf Dog Spiderbox (without much luck). I figured that this would be a good match.

Does anyone know if it is a good match? Or is a Predator 420 equipped Spiderbox doomed for failure???

I really want to see a successful install and get an idea of it's performance.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 11-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Some Details:

I got the Spiderbox for free and it currently has no engine.
I want to make it powerful enough to move around with my wife and I in it.
The buggy (410 lbs) plus two adults (315 lbs) makes the loaded buggy to be about 725 lbs.

I am currently leaning towards a 13hp Predator 420 with a 40 Series Torque converter. I am thinking of gearing it low for a target top speed of 30 mph, this should allow the buggy to have fairly healthy acceleration.

Feedback welcome
Old 11-18-2016, 07:01 AM
Power User

Ironically enough, look backwards in the yerf line to the 3203 for design inspiration. You want to build a beefed up version of that swingarm/engine platform. It would be a simple enough project, but I would invest in an Azusa axle, additional axle bearings and beef up the shock mount areas on the main chassis and install better shocks. Likewise up front you should do the normal upgrades to the front be it 420 or 150. It should be a good torquey machine that's relatively simple but will not have reverse. Plenty have used the 420 in other builds and they can be modded for more performance.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Lite Contributor

This is basically what I am looking to do. I intend to use it for scooting around to neighborhood events and just tooling around with the kiddos or wife. Torquey, simple and fun is the is the goal of this thing.

Thanks for the input!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
install better shocks.
What in particular is wrong with the OEM shocks?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Power User

they're cheap, non rebuildable, and made for a massively wide range of go kart applications that leaves them being not much more than a glorified spring that looks cool to the consumer. finding a good shock will do a ton to enhance the suspension and overall feel and performance of the buggy.

back to your engine choice, one thing a lot of people forget is that every commercial go kart in the world just about uses 6.5 to 9hp industrial engines. not one out there with a 150/250cc gy-6 type. I'm in the middle of designing a track and adding an 18 kart fleet to my business. hoping to be open this coming spring.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Lite Contributor

Operating a go kart track seems like an excellent idea and I hope it is successful. Can I suggest that you open it up in Prairieville Louisiana and arrange it like The Track in Destin Florida (pictured below)?
If you build it, they WILL come (or at least my family would, LOL)!

Regarding the Shocks: In all honesty I'm OK with not being able to rebuild them, and the fact that they are quite inexpensive and readily available is a massive plus. And they are indeed cool looking

Regarding the Engine: I grew up riding around on a Manco Quicksilver single seater equipped with a Briggs 3hp (or 3.5hp) and the kart was an absolute blast as a kid. I basically want a scaled up version of that simple kart that I can play around with my kiddos (and wifey).

In an effort to consolidate threads, please send additional feedback to:

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5993

Thanks! The build continues....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Track.jpg (93.5 KB, 11 views)