BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Off Topic and Other Forums > Clubs, Riding Events, Regional Info

Clubs, Riding Events, Regional Info Forum for Buggy Clubs, Organized Riding Events etc...

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default DDOS Attack Against BuggyNews

Since 12/23 BuggyNews.com has been under a distributed denial of service attack. Although authorities have been contacted, a resolution to get the site back to 100% is still in work.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Supporting Vendor

I hope they they catch the moron responsible. From what I heard the FEDS may be involved in the investigations. Either way certain people will undoubtly be looked at as suspect. If whom ever done this is not as smart as they think they are and more times than not they aren't, I would hate to be them.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Lite Contributor

My question is, Has anyone here that frequents BN had computer issues?
And I hope the person(s) responsible are delt with harshly.
Proud member of the Black River QC Team
Old 12-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Lurker

well i have been registered here for a while but think its my second post.
i stop in from time to time just never write, so excuse me if i don't know many here.

member over at bn glad to see some things are being done
wasn't sure what a ddos was but i do now after some reading.

after swinging on some grape vines heard the same thing
i would say this is not going to end up pretty.

Last edited by pud150b; 12-25-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Contributor

yes the cyber crimes division was notified when the threat was sent to me about a month ago. They have been told of the attack when it happened and myself and my computer person will be talking to them this week.

the problem is there are some many servers involved it will take some time to trace it back but they have the technology to do so.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsandk11 View Post
My question is, Has anyone here that frequents BN had computer issues?
And I hope the person(s) responsible are delt with harshly.
Don't know if it is related but I was on BN thursday checking the bash thread. Later that night my computer was acting more wierd then usual and running very slow. It was doing commands I did not command it to do. I used the computer on Friday and it was running worse. Friday night Norton locked my computer telling me I had a virus, and to click here to remove. Not trusting this command I went to Norton and run a complete virus scan. Saturday it was still in scan mode with a message to activate and back up contents of my computer which I had done. As of last night I had another message from Norton that said a virus was quarentined and that removal might delete some files so to run the backup. I contacted Norton by phone to verify. The gentleman told me to run the backup files then to click to remove virus, which I had done. As of last night Norton was still working. I haven't tried today yet, but was told to contact Norton and they will help me get the lost files back.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Contributor

we have not found any virus just millions of robots trying to access bn all at the same time
Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

Damn robots,anybody who has seen the movie I robot knows they are trouble. LOL. Erik do you have any good news on the status.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Contributor

I havent talked to Brett this morning, he is in florida with his boys. I think we are going to have to change the ip address for bn
Old 12-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributor

Everyone should download and run malwarebytes antimalware and run it in safe mode. I also use zone alarm firewall and it has prevented several attacks.
Malwarebytes found over 1000 trojans and keyloggers on my system that stole my passwords and logins for my websites and other secure programs.

Then all your problems look like nails.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Power User

Been on BN a couple times lately but no issues. my daughter just whacked my other computer (i'm on my old gaming rig now) with "windows xp security 2012". came in through a java based game. It's one bad sucker, can't get anything to get to it, even in safe mode. takes over anything that opens in a window, even the CMD box. looks like an OS dump and reinstall is coming. Man i hate hackers. Hope they catch the idiots.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Contributor

they will, the fbi is working on it now
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige View Post
they will, the FBI is working on it now
that's good to know but unfortunately they are swamped with a big case load. I spoke with a man who is probably the nations most leading expert in computer forensics.( I'm dating his sister She works for him ).
This is some insight gained from our conversation.
The FBI has to put things in priority. Not to down play this attack but there's other cases, fraud, credit card, identity, etc that would take precedent over a simple case of malicious intent Surprisingly, the FBI is not very skilled in this area. it's fairly new technology and the government isn't keeping up near as well as the private sector.
The good news is it can be traced. The origin can be traced, not totaly but to a point where there's enough evidence to charge an individual. At that point it's up to the individual to take lots of time, money and technical resources to prove innocence! Good luck! Evidence of this nature is extremely tough to dispute in a court room! It's black and white! The standard defense in cases of this nature is for the defendent to plea bargin and pray for a light sentence and or fine!
Attacks of this type require some pretty sophisticated equipment and the collaboration of other hackers to pull it off successfully.[Keyword: Sucessfully]. Why would these criminals risk exposure, time and resources just to bugger up this simple site where there's no profit involved ? This incident needs to be considered of a personal nature.

Pud said it " this is not going to end up pretty"
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Contributor

yes it was a personal attack on me. trying to shut my store down and shut down buggynews. all because they couldnt follow some simple rules
Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Administrator

good God...Buggy drama? Really? That sucks!

Some guys have nothing better to do than to sit in moms basement and do destructive things. Geeze!

Hopefully it all works out!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributor

thanks, we have it back up in read only for now so we can restore the complete file.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
Been on BN a couple times lately but no issues. my daughter just whacked my other computer (i'm on my old gaming rig now) with "windows xp security 2012". came in through a java based game. It's one bad sucker, can't get anything to get to it, even in safe mode. takes over anything that opens in a window, even the CMD box. looks like an OS dump and reinstall is coming. Man i hate hackers. Hope they catch the idiots.
jim, pull the drive and slave it onto another machine (an external usb to ide/sata adapter is stupid cheap) and then run your av scan
Old 12-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
good God...Buggy drama? Really? That sucks!

Some guys have nothing better to do than to sit in moms basement and do destructive things. Geeze!

Hopefully it all works out!
not to diminish the wrongness of that situation, but "buggy drama" is cracking me up!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Power User

i cleaned it out, was able to run through the "read me before posting ..." thread here:

http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-...her-nasties/64

I've been using that read me for about 7 years now. they'll look through your log files for you to make sure nothing is left.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Contributor

we have checked and double checked and didnt find any virus or anything in bn thank goodness.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Contributor

I own a hosting business and our firewall (not a cheapy) has never picked up a virus from me viewing or downloading stuff from your site.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Lite Contributor

Glad it is back up to speed.
The computer issue is something that vista has going on. It actually shuts down the firewall in windows and plants a virus infection notice to buy their product.. HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH BN.
Proud member of the Black River QC Team
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Contributor

Good question I would like to hear the answer to as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Congratulations guys on getting the first locked thread ever on BuggyMasters!

Please cut the crap!!!!
Closed Thread