BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Lurker

Default The "Spud mobile"

Hello! awesome site! just found it today, have been wanting a buggy since I was a kid, so I finally rounded up enough parts and material, and this is what I came up with. Its not the greatest, but it does work! the engine is a polaris 295 twin, 2 stroke, from an old sled, no suspension. its always a work in progress, because i like to fart around with this kinda thing! feel free to comment and ill try to answer any questions!http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/pi...pictureid=1398

Ya the seat belt still needs to be sorted out! (shhhhh, dont tell anyone!) the flag came from a trip to Maui years ago, thought it suited the buggy! I need to get a newer picture, as that was taken early in the summer. The floor pan is finnished now and the steering wheel was replaced with more of a handle bar style.

Oh and if anybody can delete the 3 extra pictures that would be great! Sorry bout that!

I was woking on my buggy today, so I snapped some pics as I went. feel free to comment, but go easy on me, this has been my first build!!! Most of my parts were from donation, or the local landfill. And an old Polaris Colt 295cc snowmobile!

Then after I had it back together I had to go for a test run, and this happened!!

The tire had some small checks in the rubber, but I guess to many hard corners and doughnuts made it tear like that. It was on an old honda atc 110 that i picked up awhile ago, and had sat flat for to long. Good idea on the gussets, I still have lots of stuff to do to it. Im sure liking the 22-11x8 tires compaired to the 25-10 x10's that I had on before, it rides so soft now!

the axle is thru pipe with a brass bushing, grease nipple on the bottom and a collar on the outside. the axle is 1 1/4 hardened steel that I got from a blasting company (old drill rod) If it gets any wear, then I can just replace the bushing I figure. Its hillbilly I know, but it works! I will be playing around with the front end tommorrow, so I'll take some pics of the steering setup. It turns, but it pushes into the corners until you get on the gas enough to swing the ass end out. might just be the tires that are on it

I've actually been working on this for about 2 years, so this wasnt the maiden voyage. I was reading up on the "Ackerman angle", and I think that might be my issue with the steering. Im gonna check on that today. Where the tie rods meet the spindles, is there a certain length they should be? ( that probably doesnt make sence, Ill explain more later, with pics, thanks!

I was thinking the same thing, might try something a bit more aggresive up front, or a little narrower. maybe Ill try to modify the tread pattern on these if I cant find anything

I took some pics today... but they are not really good for showing how my steering is set up. I'll remove my floor piece later. I got my grinder busy and modify'ed my front tires. Ill put the picture up, but you guys have to promise not to laugh at my bird **** welds! I've got a stick welder from canadian tire, I just cant run a nice bead with it, but I try!! I was also thinking it might push due to the front end being a bit to light? probably a combination of everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy 008.jpg (98.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 009.jpg (98.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 010.jpg (99.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 012.jpg (98.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 015.jpg (96.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 013.jpg (97.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 014.jpg (91.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 011.jpg (91.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg buggyfront 002.jpg (99.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg buggyfront 003.jpg (94.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg buggyfront 004.jpg (92.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by metalstudman1; 03-05-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: requested by member
Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome- Looks great, good job - (only thing missing is a seat belt!!!) Where did you find that flag?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Try and get some newer pic's up soon- get pic's from other angles so we can see what you did.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributor

welcome freind!! nice buggy, the stud man is right ya need a seat belt, not judgin ya i just have had first hand and second hand experiences and most of the time its not your fault. lookin forward to more pics and we love vids also
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Power User

Welcome, love the buggy, simplicity! (This from a person who over-thinks jsut about everything ...) lol.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Contributor

ya ya pics please
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Lite Contributor

Default The "Spud" mobile

Yow on the tire--hit some metal or glass? Don't worry about any comments, any that get made are only for safety, longevity or to point out improvements that can be made. That said, be careful welding the plated metal, the fumes will make you sick fast--same goes for galvanized. You've got the structural concept pretty well, given that you're using thin wall box tubing, I'd go to town on adding corner gussets to almost all of it that is supporting the engine/driveline components.

Looks like a pretty good design at the engine area-good use of scrap too!!!! do you have pic's of the front-end? That tire slash is wicked and sad. I'd say the axle sprocket is there to stay!! Do you actually have axle bearings or is that just an axle thru a pipe sleeve?

Nice job using whatever you have to make it work

That's a nasty tear in the tire. But hey! Your first test drive and that's the only canarage? I'd write that as a major success in my book!
Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudmuffin View Post
the axle is thru pipe with a brass bushing, grease nipple on the bottom and a collar on the outside. the axle is 1 1/4 hardened steel that I got from a blasting company (old drill rod) If it gets any wear, then I can just replace the bushing I figure. Its hillbilly I know, but it works! I will be playing around with the front end tommorrow, so I'll take some pics of the steering setup. It turns, but it pushes into the corners until you get on the gas enough to swing the ass end out. might just be the tires that are on it
Could be tires or the steering geometry. I'd call that axle Hi-tech hillbilly. It's probably stronger and likely will hold up better than any of the solid axles they make for buggies.

Great way to recycle! Way more fun than saving aluminum cans for sure. lol I'd say for a first build you did fine and I'm sure you will learn more as you go. Have fun and be safe!

The front end could be a little pushy too due to the wide tires up front and a fairly low traction tread, with the rear tires having an aggressive/higher traction tread design. Solid rear axle will contribute to the push a bit too.

If you look from above with the wheel cut all the way to one side, the outside tire should be turning more than the inside tire. Although Ackerman's original principle (early automotive design days) called for the opposite geometry to have the tires turning on radii equal to the different inside and outside circles they make, it was quickly realized that slip and scrub factors required a different approach. The outside tire tends to be the one that wants to dig in and bring the front end around. If you don't have enough turning angle on the outside tire, the inside tire won't really grab well and the outside tire with its lesser turn angle will just drive the cornering angle/radius, resulting in understeer--and the vehicle not wanting to corner the way the user wants.

Get some pic's of the front-end posted and we can provide some opinions for improvement.
IMO--The simplest way I've found to get your steering set-up from the start- make an imaginary line from the front spindle to the center of the rear axle- that gives you a place to start with the location of the steering/tie-rod tab on the spindle. This will establish basic Ackerman angles and should give you about the right turning radius for the tires when the tire is standing straight up & down. Angle of the kingpin/A-arm is important- too much you get bumpsteer, too little and you have a push. As toe-in & toe-out factor into how it bites in a turn & how well it goes straight down the trail and helps the wheels returns back to center.

thats a nice build of a buggy for your first time got any pics of the front

I'd say one of the biggest issues is the front tires. very wide and flat--ok for parking lot/street, (still very wide for that) off-road you want something narrower with a rounded profile.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 03-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone- Please excuse the way this thread ended up
I tried to combine,merge and change the title for SPUDMUFFIN (@ his request)and messed it up.
Acefab- your post was the last one up on the merged threads and showed to be yours when the change was made- my apologies.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Power User

Had me scratching my head there for a minute.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Lurker

sorry about that guys, I didnt know how to change the name of the thread, and it seemed like this was starting to be more like my build thread than just pics. So now it is!
It also snowed 6-8 inches last night so im not working on the buggy today!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Lite Contributor

nice little buggy man