BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Lurker

Default U-joint/rack n pinion

Hey guys new to group and my first go kart. I bought a yerf dog 3206 out of a yard sale. The steering column and rack n pinion appear to be set where they are suppose to be; the issue I am running into is on my u-joint. It measure out 14" from end to end, but when i go to attach it i am roughly 4" short. Now i am not sure if this item is suppose to extend, mine appears to be seized up or heavily jam in its "contracted" position. Any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

Might post some pics. Not sure what your saying. On one side, not sure which, One end slides into the other, and can be adjusted. should be plenty of room to where you should not be short. The steering Colum should be mounted as far to the left as possible, right before that front tubing turns and goes down.
Unless some cut the thing for some reason. You said your 4" inches short, but then you say it's seized up. So not sure what your saying. Pics would be nice.
if you are short, then look for replacement. Not sure if can buy a replacement on ebay or Amazon? Cant recall seeing that on any other buggy sites. Might just half to look.
Or find same size of square tubing, and fab up a replacement. Not sure if that helps much.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Heavy Contributor

Now thinking about it. If your 4" short, because the square tubing is stuck so you can't extend it???
In that case, use a Cresent and hammer. Open up wrench where it will slide freely over the smaller tubing. But butt up against the larger one it's inserted in. Use hammer on wrench. Alternating hitting the wrench on both sides. Or have someone help, put a flat plate across open side of wrench and hit it on plate, so both sides are getting same pressure at same time. Use some lube also.
If this is the case. Not uncommon. Took awhile to get mine broke lose. Guessing never adjusted since the thing was brand new.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

Remove the shaft, invert so that you can spray it with a good penetrate so that the oil runs down the inside of larger tube to break dissolve some of the rust than pull or tap apart. Clean the rust off the inner tube with sand paper than coat that inner shaft with Valvoline Dura Blend grease. This grease will not harden after time like 90% of other greases.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Heavy Contributor

I use dry chain lube on the inside tube.