BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Lurker

Default Road Rat Kart steering problem

I have a Road Rat sprint style kart with a clone 6.5 Honda and street tires and for some reason the left front tire wears excessively on the inside half. The right side wears evenly. The kart is about 1.5 years old and has has no problems except for the uneven wear. I have talked to the company in Florida that sold it and although they have been helpful, have not been able to resolve the issue. The kart even pulls hard left when driving straight. the tie rods seem to be adjusted evenly so I am at a loss for what to do to resolve the problam. I can post a pic or two if anyone thinks that will help? We tried removing a spacer on the left and right, but no change. I do notice that when just pushing the kart on the ground a few feet it will start to pull to the left. This is driving us crazy. And yes when we go it this was NOT happening. I'm wondering if something could be bent? It has never been in an accident, but has run off the pavement a few times (about a 3" drop into the grass). Any ideas?????? Thanks all!

Last edited by banjoman; 10-05-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

How is the tire wearing unevenly, is it on the inside outside, skipping or scallop wear.
TOM
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

The left front tire is toed out or the spindle is bent up.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Lurker

Default Steering Problem

Tom, It's wearing on the left insode. Just even wear right down to the cords. I see there was another post that suggests I look at the toe on the left. Maybe the spindle is bent? Thant makes a lot of sence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
How is the tire wearing unevenly, is it on the inside outside, skipping or scallop wear.
TOM
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Lurker

Default Steering problem

I never thought of a bent spindle. It has run off the pavement a few times and maybe that is it. I guess to verify that I would have to remove both tires and measure from ground up to a given point and see what they read right? Then just bent so they agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX150 View Post
The left front tire is toed out or the spindle is bent up.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

The reason I asked how it wore is if due to excessive toe in or out it will have a scalloped wear either on the inside or outside depending which way the toe is out of adjustment. If the tire has a skipping wear it could be due to a bad shock if equiped causing tire bounce. If your wear is due to a camber problem the worn area will feel smooth. This can be caused by a bent spindle, aframe, or frame. It can even be caused by a loose or worn bushing, or balljoint. Check for play in that wheel both axis and radial, as well as tire wobble.

TOM

T
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Lurker

Default Steering problem

Thanks Tom, the kart is a street kart with no suspension. I am going to measure spindles tonight and see if that might be the problem. Will let you know. Dan

Last edited by banjoman; 10-06-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Post pics -so we can see the wear pattern and alignment of the front tires