BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Lurker

Default just bought a used murray explorer, engine doesn't run right.

so I just bought what is supposed to be a 2009 murray explorer go kart with a 6 horse ohv tecumseh engine on it. the problem is that the engine is running like it is getting all gas and no air. sadly I can not find any diagrams online that show where the mixture screw is on the carb. if it is the screw I think it is, then I am missing a spring. I couldn't find any identifying numbers on the carb, so I don't know what model it is. the carb has a red primer button, but no choke on it. any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Power User

if it's the same as the 6.5 powersports engine, no mixture screw, all you get with that carb is an idle speed adjustment. could need a carb cleaning or new air filter or throttle/governor linkage tweaking. does it start and idle ok?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 AM
Lurker

the engine dies unless you have the throttle wide open, and it spits fuel into the air filter. I could tell the previous owners ran it hard, but there is not much wear on the engine, the kart was driven into something so hard it bent the frame in the front to a 90 degree angle. it was also apparent that the chain had never been oiled either. and the throttle does not move until the gas pedal is all the way down. I had a murray explorer with the same engine as a kid and it ran like a top. the people we bought it from said that it had maybe 20 hours on it. judging by the wear on the body of the kart, and past experience, that may not be the karts first engine. Oh! and one last thing. when it is wide open the kart also just crawls along, I really don't want to scrap that engine, and hope all the trouble is just a dirty carb. And, when I set the idle screw so that the engine does not die, it sort of sputters and tries to pull the kart. I am getting some new air filters for it tomorrow, that was one of the first things I checked for. if it were an air intake issue, the engine would run when I loosen the cover for the air filter, I would think.

Last edited by gallowraven; 07-02-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Contributor

Even though you don't want to scrap the engine, a 6.5HP Harbor Freight engine will probably get you going faster, than fixing the Tecumseh, at this time. HF is gonna have a BIG 4th of July Sale, with 25% coupons being given out now. Might try to hook yourself up with one today or tomorrow, and pick up an engine cheap on Wednesday.

As for loosening the air cleaner cover to diagnose an intake issue, about all that "might" clue you into, is a plugged up air filter. The carb needs to be pulled and cleaned. Unfortunately those pieces of junk carbs the epa mandated, have a few blind passages, that are prone to plugging up, and can be impossible to clear, The lack of a true adjustable metering system, really makes this carb a miniature boat anchor. Fabrication of an intake, and substitution of a CV type carb will work wonders on these things. There may be manifolds available, if you do some racing go kart and racing lawn mower searches on the net.

Another thing to check is the valve clearance. Sorry, don't know the specs, again a web search should help here, unless mancoman might know those numbers from his experience with the industrial engine powerred Mancos.

Wish I could have been more help, post some pics. Pics seem to act like honey for flies...they'll attract more guys in, and more opinions too, I'm betting.

Last edited by kliff; 07-02-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Lite Contributor

it would be cheaper to buy a hf motor than a new carb. my .02
Old 07-05-2012, 04:57 AM
Contributor

That's true, but it sounds as if he wants to keep the Tecumseh, and that is gonna be the best choice for that approach. Personally, I'd get the 6.5HP HF engine, and modify it....LOL

I hate leaving anything stock for very long.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Contributor

Say run the motor up to full throttle and put your hand over the intake.Don't kill,just evouhg to lug the motor.Do this a few times and see if it helps.Sometimes it will clear the carb.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to jump on the band wagon about a new clone- I couldn't ever get any real long term performance out of the primer bulb style carb(always messing with it). When I bought the manual choke version never had an issue again- new manual choke carb $85. if you can find one. New HF engine around $100. and everything is new!!!!! It's a no-brainer for me, the replacement parts for the HF engine are cheap and plentiful (new clone carb $30.)
Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Power User

in most respects i have to agree with msm and the others who say swap it for a clone. If you're stubborn like me though and like to tinker and resurrect things most others would scrap, these can be made to run decently. My $8. adjustable needle, ported intake and earsplitting stub header did wake mine up nicely. Just took awhile to get it figured out and dialed in.