BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Lurker

Default Yerf 3203 vs Manco XTK 706b-2

So here is my dilema. I am picking up a busted Yerf 3203 and a fully functional Manco XTK 706b-2. The Yerf Im getting for $250. it sat with fuel in it for 2 years. fuel is leaking out of the carb (needle and seat or float more than likely) and the entire jackshaft and its bearings are toast (driven side bearing is comepletly gone). Needs a chain. Nothing I cant fix myself. The thought was I could fix it and sell it for a profit. The Manco is $500 and perfect mechanically. Both karts have great stock tread and the paint is amazing on both.

My first thought was fix the yerf and sell it. I see a lot of info on the 3203 and not much on the 706. Im starting to think I should keep the yerf. I need some input.

I will keep one and sell the other. Which would be a better one to keep? I am going to use it to teach my 5 year old how to handle a bit more than a power wheels and play around with. I want it so we can enjoy it together. It will not see hardcore off road use, but it will see spirited driving all in the dirt and in the hay field. Which would you choose? I also plan to gear it down. I dont want or need much speed at this point. I would rather have as much low end as possible.

Chris
Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Power User

between the two, the subaru engine is less likely to give you some of the carb and throttle linkage fits the tecumseh engine might. I think the brake is probably better on the manco. Other than those two and the difference between bench and bucket seats, they're likely very similar overall. To be honest, as much as i like the yerfs, you may be better off going with the manco and just ignoring the yerf if it needs the work--the repairs may leave you break even or in the hole on a resale.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 AM

I do not know anything about the Manco. But in all honesty, the Tec motor on the Yerf has a very short life span and any $ for carb repairs made would be better put towards another motor IMO.

I bought a new Harbor Freight "Predator" motor right out of the box for $107 out the door, and gained about 2-3 MPH over the Tec with port matched intake and exhaust manifolds. (28 MPH TEC VS. 31 MPH HF)

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...nia-69730.html

It's almost a drop in replacement motor.

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showth...highlight=3203

Then you can get a new jack shaft and I would also get a 9 tooth sprocket to gear it down. That should take care of your issues for relatively low cost.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Lurker

The yerf should be a solid machine with very little parts cost. the new jackshaft kit is only $43. Im sure I can get it running fine with just a carb cleaning. the oil in it is pretty clean and it seems to have a good deal of compression while rolling it over. im not worried about it running well. I should be able to get $550 out of it in this area as most are listed at 600 or more on cl.

The manco drives, but not well. The belt is either stretched right out or its plain not addjusted. the driver is almost completely closed before it will move and it lurches something awful till it gets going. BUT, it does run very well. It also needs some front end work. both a arms are a bit loose at the frame and have play. the steering is jerky since the front tires can move back and forth (front to back) due to it. I have to rip it apart and see if the bolts are whooped. all the rod ends seem to be tight. the rod ends on the spindle nudge the tires. need to shim the wheels out. The shocks on it have way to much spring and are not adjustable but do move fine. I am thinking they could be replaced. While it needs a bit of work, I am excited to rip into it. it is pretty similar to the 3203. And the engine is so smooth! I think even though it need some work, it was worth the coin.

Now onto the driven. The manco uses a tav same as the 3203. while I have not measured them, all the info I could find my cross referring the part numbers is that the original comet 217610 was replaced by 219456 which is a 6" driven. I would assume a 7" driven could be swapped in to lower the overall drive ratio. It already uses a 9 tooth sprocket so thats not an option.

The 3203 uses a 7" driven. Since I have to rip it down to replace parts I was thinking about trying the 7" from the yerf on the manco to see how it works (if the yerf belt will work...)

So I have some work to do. first thing is to get parts coming for the yerf. I will be getting a yellow spring for the driven while at it. Since I dont plan to keep the yerf I will use the spring in the manco. Next is adjusting the belt on the manco and checking the a arm situation followed by the front wheels.

All in all I have exactly what I was looking for... a project if not 2 that will end with something fun to drive with my son!

Chris
Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Lurker

also, would this sprocket work with a tav setup?
http://www.*************/item/41-Sprocket-400901--1507