BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Good CDI to get??

I am looking to get a good CDI with no rev for my Helix. Was wondering if this would be a good one to get? Let me know what ya think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en
Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Administrator

You need to ask if the CDI is DC or AC. The Helix uses a DC based CDI and most aftermarket are AC.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

The stock yerf coils are dc based with no rev limit. one of those will work good for you.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Heavy Contributor

your helix is a cd coil the one you show in add is a ac i believe
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Lite Contributor

THANX GUYS!! Will have to find a good DC coil then.. Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Lite Contributor

Another one I seen on ebay.. Yay? Nay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-15...ehicleQ5fParts
Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

that one should be fine
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

I personally have yet to find a decent DC CDI for our buggies. I have tried the brand you are looking at and was not that impressed with overall performance. Unfortunately the Chinese do not supply specs with their cdi's so what the seller is told from the suplier is what your told. I do know the DC are 3 times as expensive than the ac due to the added capasitors and circuitry . This is why they are larger than the ac cdi. So far the best dc cdi I have come across is the hammerhead performance. The most important spec of any performance cdi is the megajewels it puts out, but as I have stated prior no specs are supplied with the cdi's from the manufacturer. I have used borh the Blue and Gold Castoli AC on my buggies and was disapointed since they failed after a short time. The yerfdog Rover used a dc cdi with I believe a 10,000 rev on it. I don't think they were no rev limit, but you can expect to pay $70.00 plus for one. Hammerhead performance are not cheap either I believe around the same price but I would have to check to be sure. Besides I would be afraid to spend $30.00 on a DC since they are generally 2 times plus of an AC cdi.

Tom
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Lite Contributor

Man so many choices and decisions.. Who would have known.. lol.. Thanx again guys.. Gonna do some more researching..
Old 10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Lite Contributor

Should I get a new coil with the CDI? Or does it not really make that much of a difference?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Food for thought: the cdi has 3 basic functions: 1) Tells the coil when to dischsrge its spark,2)sets length of spark ie. megajewels,3) may or may not set a rev. limit.
Now lets look at #1, the cdi tells the coil when to discharge. The cdi is triggered when the pad on flywheel passes the pickup button. The pad is 8deg. in length out of 360deg., so your cdi can tell the coil to discharge either 4 deg. retard or 4 deg. advance or anywhere in between. This is built into the cdi unless you have an adjustable cdi. Now anyone who has ever degreed their GY6 engine knows that due to variations in manufacturing true tdc is rarely right on the marks, so the built in crank timming can be either advanced or retarded. This is why someone invented the degree wheel so as to find true tdc. Now with this in mind it is nearly impossible for someone to claim their cdi will advance timming 4 deg. Two things are needed to make this claim 1) cdi specifications in which nobody supplies and 2) Knowing the true tdc of a particular engine. So my engine with a particular cdi may have a total advance of 1 deg where as some one else using the same cdi might have 3 deg total advance. The most important spec of a cdi I believe is the megajewel spec. This tells you how long the spark duration is and what the regain capacity is at high rpm. The longer the spark the better the burn which produces more power. Do not mistake spark duration for spark intensity. The cdi does not control the sparks intensity, the coil controls the intensity of the spark. So by using the correct combonation of cdi and coil you can increase both the intensity and duration of the spark which will help create more power by a more complete burn of the fuel. Most stock engines will only completely burn about 60% of the fuel. A good tunned engine with all the right components will burn 85% of the fuel completely. Only an engine running an exotic fuel and super charger will burn close to 100% of the fuel completely. So the bottom line is cdi should be replaced with the coil for optimum performance. Hope this was of help and not confusing.

Tom
Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Lite Contributor

Helped alot.. Thanks. Looks like I will be ordering a coil to.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Lite Contributor

Good coil and price? SYCARMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-P...item5ad8ca19e2
Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Can't say. Part name is Typhoon according to description, never heard of it. When I order a new part of any type I order one to try out,and have found some to be good and some not so good. Most all the coils on the market are orange in color, however not all coils are created equal. I stock the Bando brand made in Taiwon and have yet to have any complaints from customers my coil is about $4.00 more than the coil on e-bay. I can assure you that Bando is one of the leaders in performance parts for the GY6 in Asia.

Tom
Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanx. Might go that route then..