BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Lurker

Default 900cc Carter Talon!

I just picked up a Carter Talon with a Suzuki RF900 engine (originally 150cc). It is insanely fast! Now, I'm going to start looking into picking up or building something different to put the engine into (or modifying the current buggy). Currently, it's just downright dangerous. This is my first buggy so any comments or opinions on what I should look for would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by maconbass; 09-27-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Lurker

hey im currently in the process of stuffing a tl1000 suzuki motor in my talon and i was wondering if you could post some pics of the swingarm extension on yours as well as any other photos that could prove useful to me. also what problems are you having with yours that make it so dangerous other than just having an obnoxious motor in it? seems like trackwidth could use a little widening and i plan on stretching the swingarm at least 10 1/2" to accomidate my motor...any other issues?

-Adam (widowmaker kart dude)
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Lurker

I am looking for knowledge on how to make my murry buggie move with a 11hp engine.with chain
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Lurker

I have already put a 9 teeth clutch on it.along with a 13 teeth on the shaft.on the right side is the same set up.from the factory.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkartdude View Post
hey im currently in the process of stuffing a tl1000 suzuki motor in my talon and i was wondering if you could post some pics of the swingarm extension on yours as well as any other photos that could prove useful to me. also what problems are you having with yours that make it so dangerous other than just having an obnoxious motor in it? seems like trackwidth could use a little widening and i plan on stretching the swingarm at least 10 1/2" to accomidate my motor...any other issues?

-Adam (widowmaker kart dude)
I'll try to get some photos for you although I'm not impressed with the workmanship that has been done on it. I will most likely be redoing most of it. It also needs the clutch to be relocated. They just put the hand clutch from the motorcycle on the side frame. Soooo when you are shifting, you have both hands off the wheel! Not good. Thats part of the dangerous I was talking about. Also, with that much power, it just gets sideways if you punch it and apparently rolls pretty easy. The person that looked at it before me (potential buyer) did just that. So when I arrived, the roll cage was all bent to one side. Im not sure if I'm going to fix that or just look for a better buggy to put the engine in. It's too much power for that buggy in my opinion.

Here is a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmPhjofc2JQ

Last edited by maconbass; 09-28-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Lurker

Default 900 cc carter

Man I watched the video on that thing its bad**s I wouldn't change a thing.however if you do are you going to sell the carter rolling chassis
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambull View Post
Man I watched the video on that thing its bad**s I wouldn't change a thing.however if you do are you going to sell the carter rolling chassis
I'm thinking about using the existing chassis and just doing some modifications for now. I just took it out for a little spin up the street. I run out of street so fast that I havent had it out of second. I have no idea how fast it will run. 1st gear seems to have all the speed I really need. LOL
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Contributor

use the chassis and make it better.we are doing the same thing with what was a carter 150 and we have a gsxr 1100 to go in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newnew buggy 011.jpg (97.1 KB, 13 views)

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK
Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysheepdog View Post
use the chassis and make it better.we are doing the same thing with what was a carter 150 and we have a gsxr 1100 to go in it.

That sounds great sheepdog! If you can keep me informed on what you are doing, that will help me out since I'm a noobie. I will do the same.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Contributor

sounds cool to me,ill help all i can.this is the thread for the build if you have questions just ask.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416

Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Lurker

I Don't have any close up pic.An my buggie is not here now.I have some one who trying to make it go right now.I Don't have any torque.I just have straight power.I put a 11 hp engine on it.With a 40 chain.Can't seen to figure out the ratio.Of sproket size.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Heavy Contributor

its to fast for me
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Contributor

just think,when every one else is dogen there buggy this guy is taking it easy and still in front.that the nice thing about 100+ hp you dont have to drive hard.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Contributor

Not sure if you've seen one of these cages after a full seed roll over. I've seen at least 5 mangled ones. Now an engine that will have no trouble with pushing that buggy at 150 verse 35....... If you have a family you shou;ld at least pay up your life insurance. You'll flip it just turning because it's to slim. You roll it backwards on a hill from torque, I've done it in a maxed out 150. You'll be way rear end heavy. You'll burn through the buggy brakes with ease.

Now if your not gonna use all the power, why waste it in this little death trap? I aint trying to bust your bubble but I'll race a 1000cc carter talon with a 250 joyner in rough terrain and slap eat it up. Why??? Because I have usable power and proper suspension
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
Not sure if you've seen one of these cages after a full seed roll over. I've seen at least 5 mangled ones. Now an engine that will have no trouble with pushing that buggy at 150 verse 35....... If you have a family you shou;ld at least pay up your life insurance. You'll flip it just turning because it's to slim. You roll it backwards on a hill from torque, I've done it in a maxed out 150. You'll be way rear end heavy. You'll burn through the buggy brakes with ease.

Now if your not gonna use all the power, why waste it in this little death trap? I aint trying to bust your bubble but I'll race a 1000cc carter talon with a 250 joyner in rough terrain and slap eat it up. Why??? Because I have usable power and proper suspension
That's about the truth of it!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Maconbass-I totally agree with Chuckorlando and Ckau "way too much HP" to have entertaining/safe fun.

Chris97330-Now about the gearing issues you're having. You need as large of front sprocket as they sell for your chain size(13 tooth on the clutch or crankshaft)The 9 tooth currently means you're revving way too much with little to no speed.
Is both your jackshaft sprockets 13 tooth?Your Murray should have about a 60+ tooth sprocket on the axle- if not find one with atleast 50 teeth. 11 hp engine will produce plenty of torque but that style engine will only go so fast as you're limited by 3500-3900 rpm.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Contributor

the cages do suck and he would be better off with better suspension.but when you drive your car you dont have to hold it on the floor to get down the road,you have more power than you have to have.
a mc motor will last longer and if the buggy is right will be in front all day long and you wont have to drive it hard,and still get 30 to 40 mpg.150s and 250 are to slow for some people.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Lurker

Quote:

I happen to agree! My post say's "currently, it's downright dangerous". As we speak, I'm having a much more substantial rollcage built for it. I also figure that I will be making it wider. Even after that, I can't imagine ever using all the power that's available. Most of my time on this buggy will be spent on our open land with no steep hills. But most of all, for what I spent on it, I could do a lot of mods and still have and inexpensive toy. After the new rollcage, I'm going to have about $1500 into it. It will probably transform into an entirely different buggy as new mods are carried out. If it doesn't work out, I'll buy something else. (and YES, I have carried good life insurance for years).

I've checked out another 250cc buggy and watched a LOT of videos of others, including the heavy Joyner 250. I'm certain that I wouldn't be happy with one due to lack of power.

Last edited by maconbass; 10-04-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Totally cool machine though!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Heavy Contributor

plan on making it wider & longer need lots better shocks
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthan View Post
plan on making it wider & longer need lots better shocks
Yea, the shocks are really soft on the swingarm. If anyone has suggestions on what kind of shocks I should look at, I'd appreciate that. I don't know where to look yet.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Heavy Contributor

i use blaster fronts on my rear
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthan View Post
i use blaster fronts on my rear
Yamaha Blaster shocks? Thanks for your input.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Contributor

Now I think it's a no brainer that a 1000cc motor would outrun a 250. No ones saying anything about being happy with stock power. I'm simply saying theres not much on a carter talon that can be used with a 1000cc. I have a 150 with a 250 in it. I also have a joyner with a 400 2 stroke going in right now. I know all about wanting power. If your gonna be basicly rebuilding the whole buggy then why not just buy an extra 50ft of tube and just build a whole new frame? I'm all for building and modding. I think we should all own a grinder and welder and try our hands at making stuff better.
Quote:
the cages do suck and he would be better off with better suspension.but when you drive your car you dont have to hold it on the floor to get down the road,you have more power than you have to have.
a mc motor will last longer and if the buggy is right will be in front all day long and you wont have to drive it hard,and still get 30 to 40 mpg.150s and 250 are to slow for some people.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Contributor

what will you do with the aarms?not much you can do with the stock ones,mine had 2'' of travel.it does need irs,on the one i built you cant feel bumps in the front but can feel it when the back wheels hit them.like chuck said irs will make the buggy faster in the ruf and IF you build it right it will handle a lot better.
this makes getting it right easy http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=286

Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Contributor

how is that 400 coming?i will like to hear about that one when its done.
if you have a good frame with all the mounts for every thing on it why would build a nother one?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Lurker

Quote:
what will you do with the aarms?not much you can do with the stock ones,mine had 2'' of travel.it does need irs,on the one i built you cant feel bumps in the front but can feel it when the back wheels hit them.like chuck said irs will make the buggy faster in the ruf and IF you build it right it will handle a lot better.
this makes getting it right easy http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=286
I was really wanting to get by with the rear swingarm for now....guess I'll try it out and see. The front a-arms do look awfully small and wimpy though....
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributor

you can get by with it.do a little at a time until you are happy with it.
just take pic

Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Lurker

Are 4 wheeler A-arms generally the way to go? I see plenty of those on ebay.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Contributor

i would get long ones if you do that,the longer the more travel.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Lurker

I still have the same sprocket on the axle.
The jackshaft is 13 teeth sprocket on both side's.
Do i need to get both of the sprocket's with the same amount of teeth .
An if so. How many teeth?
Please help it is about toget cold here.I havn't drove this beast yet.
Thank you for your time.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Contributor

If you want to keep the swing arm to cut cost then get rid of the bushings. Add heim joints. Then add a 3rd link in the center of the cradle at the top going to the frame. That will let the arm articulate side to side like a rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconbass View Post
I was really wanting to get by with the rear swingarm for now....guess I'll try it out and see. The front a-arms do look awfully small and wimpy though....
Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Chris- You said the clutch pulley was a 9 tooth- it needs to be bigger.You should be able to get a 13tooth for the chain size you have. - Just so we know- what size is the stock axle sprocket? Are you able to take a pic of your set-up?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Lurker

Quote:
If you want to keep the swing arm to cut cost then get rid of the bushings. Add heim joints. Then add a 3rd link in the center of the cradle at the top going to the frame. That will let the arm articulate side to side like a rock crawler
Man, I'm a noobie and can't really picture what you are suggesting. Do I add the heim joints to the ends of the shocks? I'm confused about the 3rd link also. I wish there were pictures of an example.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Lurker

I've held off on any mods for now while I read and learn as much as I can. I've also had the buggy out for a couple spins and now agree that it does need IRS. Is there a place I can look up plans to build an IRS for it?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Lurker

Go to mini
Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Lurker

Ok it only posted half my reply.minibuggy.net go to parts and plans page
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Lurker

Well, my plans have now changed. I just picked up a Badland buggy (actually two, one is complete with engine and an additional frame) in which the 900cc will be installed. Not sure what I'll do with the Carter yet.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Contributor

Macon, that thing looked wicked fast, please be careful with it. when i was a kid a put a CR 250 in a cheep little 2 seater go kart and dang near killed myself in that thing. it would run about 60 mph but the brakes, steering, axle, and everything else was designed to probably run 20 mph max. It was a lot of fun, but death trap didn't begin to describe it.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Lurker

Thanks Rarerat. After getting it out for a few spins around the house I realized the Carter/RF900 were no match for eachother. I ran across a Badland buggy that I'm in the process of installing the RF900 engine into. It's a much better fit for that kind of power. I'll probably just strip the Carter of any useful parts and scrap it. I need to start posting the Badland photos.