BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Roketa

Hey everyone. I'm new here. Over the last few months I have been kicking around the idea of getting a buggy, and I've finally decided to pull the triger. I've done some looking around at the different carts available and for my needs it seams like the 250's might be the way to go. I just don't think the 150 will pull me and my son around like I want. He's only 25 lbs rigt now but growing fast. I'm about 220....and growing (:
Price point is improtant of course, don't have a limitless amount of cash to spend, who does anymore?
It looks to me like a lot of the chinease carts seam to be the same thing just with different brand names. There is a Hammerhead dealer in town and those carts look pretty sweet I have to admit, but the 250 is close to 4 grand and I just can't see my self coming off that kind of cash.
SO here's my question. What's the strait deal on the Roketa buggies? I've read quite a bit about them in review's and a lot of folks don't seam to care for them to much. The main gripe seams to be that once it brakes you can't get parts for them. When I look at the carts some of them seam pretty well made while others... not so much. The GK 06A (250) for instance looks well made. Go Kart USA is sold out right now so I'll have to wait to see if they bring it back for 2011 or not. Looking at the cart it has some really beefy a arms and that looked like the weak link on the previous modle. One of the other brands on GoKart usa (Sorry I don't remember the name) had what apperared to be the exact same kart but with a 300 engine. ( the 250 may be a bit weak for a big kart I don't know.)
The reason I'm asking so much about the Roketa is that I have a guy that can order them for me at cost, and get me parts if it brakes. He says the only real problem is they don't use lock tite and stuff rattles lose. He says if you stay up on the mantinance a lock tite everything that gets loose you'll be ok.
Any advice? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Contributor

Stay away from Gokartsusa they suck. Joyner 250, Roketa is fine the 06 is one wheel peel but can be welded, Hammerhead is fine but the struts will hand you a nice beating. I usually buy used but am pretty capable when it comes to repairs. BMS is bringing out a new one called the Sand Sniper 400cc that looks real promising. A 150 is quite capable of more than you would think with a few upgrades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

i have 2 buggies a tomberline punisher 2 and a roketa gk-13 [250] both carts are great
roketas are being held in customs for epa cert. don't know if they will get out-look on craigslist for used-roketa.com will get you to parts among others-gk-06 is a good buggy also-lots of people are having problems w/gokartsusa
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far

Last edited by olderthan; 12-06-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks guys, good info.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Lurker

If this is your first buggy, buy used, you`ll see what your getting into and might save a bunch of money. Look for Hammerheads, Roketa`s and Joyners. You can find parts for those buggy`s. I have a 06 Kinroad 250cc for sale right now, but I`m in TN, so that might be a little too far for you.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Lite Contributor

I go down to Norris Lake 5 or 6 times a year. That's not to far from you SWT. What's the details on your buggy and do you have a few pictures?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Lurker

Norris lake, hmm, never heard of that.

I`ve got an 07 Joyner SV250, pretty much all stock for now, just bought it 2weeks ago.
I`ve got an 05 Talon FX150R with sliders, 1500# main, Uni, 125 main jet, CDI, coil, plug, ect...
84 Honda Odyssey, light mods, its fast enough.

I sold the Kinroad 250 today that had 15gr sliders and a white spring.

Last edited by SWT; 12-08-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Lite Contributor

How do you like the SV 250? I hear they are the buggy to have.
Norris lake is exit 35 off 75 South.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Lurker

I love it so far, the Joyner is an actual dune buggy, not an overgrown cart. Don`t get me wrong, the Talon is a great little buggy, but hands down, the Joyner is alot better buggy.

Ok, norris lake is east of me, I`m right off of 24 about 60 miles north west of Chattanoga.

05 Carter Talon FX150R Sliders, 1500# spring, CDI, Coil,Uni, 125 main
Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Lite Contributor

Here are some links to some good used buggys in your area.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/2102053148.html
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2095598014.html
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2086865139.html
Old 12-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks "wasjustlooking". Man those must move fast right before Christmass, the bottom two have already been closed by poster!
The more I study up on it the more I think I'm going to try to get a Joyner SV 250. It appears to be a good buggy with some up grade potential down the road. One thing I like about it (besides the suspension) is the overall width. Some of the Roketa 250's I was looking at were almost 70" wide. I live in OH and most of the 4 wheeler trails around here would be a bit narrow for that. You'd have to take a chain saw with you on the trails.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

You would want to keep with the brand names like Hammerhead, Kinroad, Roketa and Blade. These companies have a better quality control. The problem with the no names is even though they look the same they are manufactured in factories with little quality control and will use uncommon components which can be hard to come by. True most China buggies cannot be compared to a Honda or Yamaha, but the brands mentioned above are much better than some of the no name brands. I do more research as of late trying to find parts for buggies in which the factory has ceased doing business. The buggy looks like a Carter and has the GY6 engine but things like axles hubs, transmission parts are not of the common type used in the major brands.
Currently everyone is having problems bringing the 250 engines in due to epa. The karts are here but held up in customs, some for over 6 months. The GY6 is also having problems with epa but to a lessor extent, but some say that next year when epa regs get tougher the gy6 will be in the same boat as the 250. These engines have no problem passing as long as they are in scooters due to their lesser weight and higher overall speeds. Bottom line is go with a brand name buggy. Hammerhead, and Kinroad are smaller buggies as compared to the Roketa or Blade. Let me also mention the Joyner but these would have to be purchased used since they ceased doing business. I have in stock a new 2009 Blade 250XT used as a demo for show only. The only driving was me loading and unloading on the trailer. You can view it on my web site www.sycpowersports.com at a reduced price with warranty. Tom 662-301-1563