BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Contributor

Default More Yerf Dog carnage

It's been a while since we have rode the buggy due to all the record cold weather we have been having. Today was about the first nice day we have had on over a month so my daughter & I couldn't resist taking here Yerf out for a spin in the Rio Puerco. It was a great day and we were having a blast untill the cheesy factory welds broke on the front end. Unfortunately when I noticed it we were about 4 miles down in the canyon and had a long slow ride out nursing it back to the trailer, but the old girl brought us back out of the canyon safe an sound although at times I was a bit worried we wouldn't make it.

It will be an easy fix, from the factory it was only partially welded in three short areas and it broke right where they welded it. I plan to pull it apart and weld it the entire way across so hopefully that will take care the problem.

I took my digital camera and planned to get a bunch of pics, but as usual I didn't get many. I took a little video of here coming down one of the medium sized sand hills and filmed one of here attempt at a climb. She hit the whoops at the bottom a little hot and got a bit out of shape so she got out of it and didn't make the hill. It was right after that I noticed the broken welds so we headed for the trailer.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Man you were FLYING in the Pilot! Did The Spiderbox make it up that monster hill? If you haven't already considered it you need to weld a gusset on atleast one side of the tube or it'll just keep cracking, the tubing is so thin that it takes a huge beating from the bulkhead that's now moved away from the frame.Check the heavy plate to frame connection at the bottom for small cracks.The bulkhead should be tight against the frame where the bolts go thru-did the bolts break?

Last edited by metalstudman1; 02-12-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Contributor

No the Yerf couldn't climb it but not for lack of trying. She was able to climb some pretty descent sized sand hills out there after adding the paddle tires to the rear though. It has gone places I never thought it would be able to, and it seems the more little mods I do to it the more the little buggy impresses me. I rolled my 350 Odyssey on that same set of whoops at the bottom that hill that she flew over the first time I hit that hill last year. It's pretty hard to tell from the crappy little video but they are pretty darn deep.

I went out there this afternoon and pulled it apart for repairs. The frame did have a small crack on the lower portion but not real bad so I just welded it back up.

I ground off what was left of there 3 crappy welds and welded the box solid all the way across this time so I haope that solves this from happening again in the future.

When reassembling everything I replaced all the 6 crappy 5/16 bolts with good grade 8 3/8 bolts.

And after a quick rattle can paint job it's all back together and ready for more action. The whole job took less than an hour.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

As usual the repair looks like it never happened!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Contributor

Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Lurker

1st post here. Nice thread. I've heard about this issue with the Yerf's. Sounds like this fix might be a good preventative. I just got the same yerf for my kids (7 & almost 6).

I've got a couple issues to figure out with mine-
1) make it turn, it's turning radius is worse than a school bus now.
2) slow it down for the kids, and maybe add a kill switch.
3) have them reach the pedals.
(don't mean to hijack your thread, maybe I should start a new one)

Nice Pilot too, though. I've always wanted one, but I gotta have something with 2 seats. My Ody was never reliable.
'85 Honda Odyssey 350 (just sold it)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

The issue Rarerat had with the welds is VERY common if it's been driven on any rough terrain.#1 Lowering the rack-n-pinion and cutting 2 more grooves on the rack at both ends cures that.(understand-getting a better turn radius will increase roll-over)#2 There should already be a kill switch on the right side of the steering wheel (usually green)The next two issues- "slowing it down & kids being able to reach the pedals"This kart/buggy wasn't designed or intended to be driven by young/small children, that being said-the easiest way you can slow it down is to loosen the throttle cable rod clamp in the floorboard.Loosen the nut ,press the gas pedal down a little and tighten the bolt back up-partial throttle.I wouldn't recommend this for long term solution as the engine needs to run wide open every now and then to keep the carbon build up to a minimum.My daughter had to use a pillow in her back for several months till I moved the seat.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Contributor

Hi Kevin & welcome to the group. I think your kids will really enjoy the Yerf buggy for years to come, I know my daughters have had a blast with ours.

To answer your questions, on the turning radias, we had the same problem. You would have thought you were driving a tractor trailer, it needed a such a large area to turn it around. I had intended to groove the rack that Metalstudman1 recommended but I just never got around to it, before she broke a ball joint mount and I converted it over to Heim joints. After doing this simple mod in conjunction with a tire upgrade the turning problem was gone. you can now turn this thing on a dime.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812

I strongly recommend these simple mods to any Yerf as the improvement it huge over a stock buggy.
In fact while you are at it I would brace the stock spindles so you can avoid this..
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552

I agree with Metal, the only way I can think to slow it down would be to adjust the cable. If you are asking about a remote kill switch, I really dont have any experience with those. And on the pedals, aside from remounting the seat or maybe adding a blocks to the pedals I don't really now what else to do. The Buggy really was designed for older kids.

I hope this helps & good luck. I can tell you from experience with a few simple mods the Yerf is a great buggy and your whole family will enjoy it.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinA View Post
1st post here. Nice thread. I've heard about this issue with the Yerf's. Sounds like this fix might be a good preventative. I just got the same yerf for my kids (7 & almost 6).

I've got a couple issues to figure out with mine-
1) make it turn, it's turning radius is worse than a school bus now.
2) slow it down for the kids, and maybe add a kill switch.
3) have them reach the pedals.
(don't mean to hijack your thread, maybe I should start a new one)

Nice Pilot too, though. I've always wanted one, but I gotta have something with 2 seats. My Ody was never reliable.
Contact OverTheHill on Buggy News dot Com. He has his 7yo driving a 250 with pedal extensions and a throttle stop. Team Farm (also on the same forum) added plates under the seat rails to move the seat close to the wheel and pedals for his son.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the tips. I understand this thing is a bit big for my the age of my kids. But I couldn't find anything smaller that seemed to be put together worth a crap. Way back when I was around 7, we had those little single or 2 seat with the 3.5 or 5 hp B&S motors on them. Single wheel drive, no suspension, no belts or cage either, and of course we rode with no helmets. Somehow, I'm still here, lol...

I can't really take them on my other current rides, either, and they were always begging to go. I sold my Ody and got this, so at least I can strap em in the passenger seat, take them along, and get them used to it. I'll slow it down, and figure out some pedal or seat adjustment, and let them drive when they're ready.

For a kill switch- I was thinking of a remote. I've seen kits that look easy to install. I had a little 50cc 4-wheeler that had that. It worked pretty good for keeping them outta trouble. The rest of that wheeler was completely un-reliable though.

I scanned through those other threads. Looks like I've got some more reading to do.
'85 Honda Odyssey 350 (just sold it)
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Some of the 90cc mini buggies would be suitable. Dazon makes what they call a Raider 90. Two speed decent sized. Depends on how big your kids are. I think Ii did a review of them on the reviews section. The only downside to them is they are a two speed and first gear does like 8mph and 2nd does 25mph. Someone else makes them with a 3 speed that isi better suited if you want them to shift and I have seen others that are one speed but effectively they just keep it in second gear. Something to consider.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

The remote kill switch is a great idea- that might have saved a few frontends in the past!!!!