BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Contributor

Default Electric Conversion

Anyone have any ideas about an inexpensive way to switch from a gas engine to an electric motor set up? I did see that someone converted a car starter for use as a go cart motor. Can it be a simple set up.....motor with a gear hook up via chain to the axle sprocket? Maybe a few atv batteries? Could I use a button on the steering wheel to act as a gas pedal?? Any input would be great. The kart I built in my "live axle" post is still to fast for my 5 yr old so I was thinking electric since they basically brake automatically. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Administrator

This would be a neat project. I can't see regular old atv batteries being a good power source though. I think they would be dead in no time.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

The controller is the BIG expense in an electric kart- look at golf kart sites for pricing to start then go to youtube or similar for what others have done.Very torquey from a standstill. You'll need good car batteries at the least.Depending on your controller voltage you'll calculate the quanity of batteries needed in a series, then you get to figure out where to put them.Usually the weight is so much that most electric karts are limited to smooth flat surfaces.There's a lot of potential for speed -immediately with electric.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Contributor

Why a speed controller? Why not a heavy duty switch that sends voltage to the motor? Must kids power wheels toys dont use a speed controller do they?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Disclaimer right off!!! I'm not an electrical engineer. Back in the 80's when power wheels came out I bought them and of course I modified them for longer run time,more speed and more torque.Thru this process I learned A LOT about electric motors.Your right there is no controller on them- That's how they get away from the expense. small low volt battery with a fuse tied directly to it,LIGHT WEIGHT,tires that have very little traction.I burn't motor after motor up because I bought many extra batteries and kept them charged so play time could be extended only to find out that when running the motors that long never gave them a chance to cool down and Thermal run-away occurred due to overheating.I had to make a rectifier to eliminate/minimize this issue. Your kart is HEAVY and the principles needed to power it change,also the fact that you have tires that will grip and a frame that won't flex contribute to the expense or need for a controller.Power Wheels makes a great product and have all the components well calculated for short use. The story about the car starter being used can happen very simply- run time would be very short as well due to no way to cool the armature.I'm not trying to discourage you,it's ALMOST simple to make an electric kart.The controller provides acurate milliamp feed thru diodes or shunts to keep the motor running cooler and eliminate thermal-runaway.Sorry so lenghty- Does this help you understand the science any better.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Contributor

It does. I used to race rc cars back in the mid 80's and they had Novak speed controllers with hugh aluminum heat sinks on them. We just dont have the room for a 5 yr old to ride a gas kart & make a mistake.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Contributor

I'm just going to get that wide 2 seat manco havoc running and she can ride with an adult for now. I'm still very interested in the electric idea though.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

Try to govern the speed and make sure she has the proper safety equiptment, helmet, arm restraints, and seat belts and educate them about safety. Not sure of what you built, my son was 8 when he got his 150cc buggy that done 36mph. He is now 16 and even when he drives the 150 feet down the driveway to get mail he puts on his helmet and buckles. They are never too young to learn safety. In fact they will pick it up much quicker the we adults.

TOM