BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Lurker

Default Need some honest advice

Hello,

I just joined this forum and would like to get some good unbiased feedback on buggies. I have never owned one but have done research and am now led here. I apologize for the length of this post but just would like to get some background across so ya'll can see where I'm at. I'm looking to purchase my first motorized toy... dune buggy or atv at this point. I have gone to several atv dealers and test drove 1 honda rancher 4 wheeler. I like them but they are costly and very dangerous and I'm concerned about safety. I live in the desert in Albuquerque, New Mexico with a lot of mountainous and desert trails. I've looked at dirt bikes and they too look dangerous especially for a beginner like myself.

These dune buggies interest me since you are actually driving it and safety harnessed in. I like that but have been dissappointed to hear about all the junky chinese buggies, lack of warranties and local service repair. I'm not a skilled mechanic and really have no experience wrenching and making fixes on things. From your standpoint, what kind of buggy would make a good fit... if at all. My budget would be 3 to 5,000 tops when I'm ready and I would like something with a good amount of power, durable, reliable and warrantied if at all possible. Something that is good stock and doesn't require me to have to replace every part to make it quality. I've heard of Joyner but no one in New Mexico sells them. There is a local dealer up the road that sells Massimo sport or something like that but it looks shady and junky in my opinion. I was once recommended the Roketa GK-13b 250 cc but it looks like the production has ceased and I've heard horror stories about Roketa buggies. Next much fun are these compared to 4 wheelers?

MY apologies for all the questions right off the bat but your feedback will be critical to where I go from here.

Thanks a bunch,

Ken W
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Heavy Contributor

Expect any off-road vehicle to require more work than a road vehicle. If you are not prepared to do basic maintenance yourself, you will pay too much in services or have catastrophic breakdowns. Obviously the faster or harder you ride, the more work you will need to keep your vehicle running. If you drive like you are on Sunday stroll, maintenance will be less but not nonexistent.

Joyner makes tough Chinese buggies but has gone through a dry spell of imports due to distributor changes. This year they will return, but I cannot tell you if they will be importing new vehicles before summer ends. If you are looking at new, your price range will buy you a 250-400cc buggy. Used buggies will be worth about half of new and allow you to purchase a 650-800cc buggy.

What is important for you is find a quality dealer close enough to support the maintenance you do not wish to perform on your own. If you become mechanically adapt enough to take advice from us, your only concern is finding a dealer that ships quality replacement and upgrade parts and knows what he is actually selling (instead of wholesalers strictly looking at increasing volume and margins).

Since you are in wide open terrain, I suggest your choice be limited to longer suspension travel vehicles. The only reason to buy a narrow vehicle is for tight trails with width restrictions.

Last edited by GX150; 05-19-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Try sending a personal message to "Rarerat" and see if he knows more about where to look since he's in your area and knows the requirements for your terrain.