BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Lurker

Default murray kilowatt

i have a friend with a murray kilowatt that will sell it to me for $200 i cant find anything i found parts and their cheap its got the 6.5 tec motor not big at all

what i want to know is im 6'2 300 lbs can i fit in the cart it looks big

also has any one put a 18 hp or bigger motor on these carts thats what i want to do
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Lurker

From what I understand those buggies/karts have a great platform to do a engine swap. If it were me, i would use a street bike engine or maybe even a snowmobile engine, they love to rev. Just what I have heard, I have no experience with them.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Since I bought one of these from Buggymaster and did some minor suspension mod's to one I'd agree that you could put a much healthier engine on it. As for your length and weight it would be a squeeze. The 18hp engine swap would fit no problem. I'm half your weight and 5'-8" -seat was all the way back and I bottomed out the back shocks leading to the suspension mods. The 6.5 TEC motor is plenty strong- Understand that with the lawnmower type engines you are limited to 3500-3600rpms no matter the size, so the gain with a bigger motor is torque. If it hadn't been stolen I would have put an ATV motor in it for my kids as the got older/bigger.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Lurker

ya it runs i wish i could buy a 300ex motor and put on it i plan to put a 300 or 400ex shocks on it for my weight i just dont know about the fit i guess i will see befor i buy
Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a Kilowatt in action @ my house to give you an idea of how it performs with mod's to suspension and stock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdkW0OKa_s & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REwil...eature=related after mod's to the suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxVgwPxboE before mod's, watch how bad it bounces with a 50lb person.I would think a polaris ATV motor would work better for the amount of fabricating involved- righthand drive,pull start and automatic. The honda ex engines are manual clutch with a kickstart and lefthand drive.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Lurker

ive been in a bone stock yarf dog i think they suck myself but i was thinking about them gx200 motors
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Lurker

if you dont mind metalstudman1 can you take pics of u as an adult in it so i can see if it will give a better look at if i will fit
Old 03-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a vid with me in it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-P_SpfoB6U (sorry don't have any pic's and it was stolen last summer). The GX200 is the premium 6.5 motor (direct bolt-up for that kart)- I've personally never had an issue with the Tecumseh engines and they run strong.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Lurker

it looks like you fit easy in the kart as i said i dont know anything about these motors i work on car but its a whole other box of worms i was thinking after looking at the gx200 cani make the headers and manifold for the 6.5 tec i wouls also like to some how make it electric start
Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

You can make a header for the TEC easy enough! the exhaust has threads-doesn't really improve on performance but it'll sound fast and loud.As for electric start-NO. there's not an external gear for it, also no way to recharge the battery.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 AM
Lurker

i would say by time im done that motor will blow up and thin i will go for a atv swap
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Good plan!!!!